Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The iTunes rip off is back Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    I know shiite isn't it! Mind you I suppose I could use a certain citrus type application for...ahem...purchasing music
    nah it's not that it's just like you treated the situation as if it was a disease of some sort lol

Apple are useless money grabbing tossers and people wonder why the illegal downloading music industry is so prosporous. And yes if everyone wants the best advice download torrents and be happy screw you apple!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    I know shiite isn't it! Mind you I suppose I could use a certain citrus type application for...ahem...purchasing music
    Yes that particular citrus type application is perfect for 'purchasing' music, i regularly 'buy' music from it. Paying a pound per song is ridiculous:mad:

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any songs that I'd be remotely interested in that are 99p? I've just searched 5 or 6 albums that I would buy, all released this year and they are all still 79p a track. There are some very good slightly older albums that are only £5 which isn't bad really.

ReputationRep:
    The site i buy music from is MUCH cheaper than iTunes and much better audio quality *caugh*

ReputationRep:
    Its still hasnt put me off buying stuff from itunes :dontknow:

Yes its called piratebay. I honestly can't understand why anyone buys from Itunes when you can get it for free these people are just criminals with their prices.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    torrents ftw!

dont give a **** if i get warned, i refuse to pay for music, particularly at those prices

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XDaydreamer)
    :yes: :cool: Although I suppose iTunes is at least cheaper than buying actual CD's
    I also do not condone the FREE and LESS LIKELY TO GIVE YOU VIRUSES and NOT REALLY ILLEGAL method of ripping off youtube
    In the past I've bought ACTUAL CD's for cheaper than I could download them from iTunes!

And i'be heard that youtube did something so you can't rip songs off it anymore.

I also do not condone the FREE and LESS LIKELY TO GIVE YOU VIRUSES and NOT REALLY ILLEGAL method of ripping off youtube

Really because I just ripped music from it earlier today. Torrents and ripping music is and always be unstoppable.

ReputationRep:
    People use limewire to download music? when were they born, yesterday?

Limewire is crap i use torrent search which gives the torrents from all the main sites like piratebay, mininova etc.

ReputationRep:
    ...and they wonder why so many people download illegally. This price shifting move could have an effect on the music charts, because if people get desperate to save money, some may even begin downloading the more unpopular songs in a bid to save money, therefore shifting the songs' chart positions. I know it sounds drastic, but if some people start doing it, it could mean for a turn around. Hang on, if Amazon are selling songs for 29p each, why go to iTunes for songs anyway?

ReputationRep:
    This is the problem. They are charging a price that majority of users see as 'not worth it', considering the alternative is free and lets face it...not that risky. If they want people to pay they need to be more realistic with their price tags.

ReputationRep:
    If you're gonna buy, go on amazon!! They have whole albums for £3, an I think the songs are 30p roundabouts

(Original post by leemkule)
    This is the problem. They are charging a price that majority of users see as 'not worth it', considering the alternative is free and lets face it...not that risky. If they want people to pay they need to be more realistic with their price tags.
    Think about it thought the alternative is free and very risk free too so why would we pay even if they did lower the price?

ReputationRep:
    the amazon download service was good. Downloads straight to itunes, and is pretty cheap! I got alot of chart songs for 29pence each!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Limewire = :facepalm:

It's not the price of iTunes that bothers me, it's how ridiculously slow it is. I've got a £25 iTunes gift card and I won a code for 5 songs the other day, but I've only bought one song because it's so bloody slow. I double click the track to preview it, it buffers, it plays for like 5 seconds then buffers again, then plays for another 5 seconds. It's a joke, when Spotify plays tracks immediately without stopping at all.
    Then when I buy a song, it takes about 10 minutes or more to download which is also a joke, since when I obtain music in a 'different' way, it takes less than 3 minutes a track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    Think about it thought the alternative is free and very risk free too so why would we pay even if they did lower the price?
    My point was that if they lower the price to something reasonable, more people will pay. Obviously not everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greg.)
    Limewire = :facepalm:

It's not the price of iTunes that bothers me, it's how ridiculously slow it is. I've got a £25 iTunes gift card and I won a code for 5 songs the other day, but I've only bought one song because it's so bloody slow. I double click the track to preview it, it buffers, it plays for like 5 seconds then buffers again, then plays for another 5 seconds. It's a joke, when Spotify plays tracks immediately without stopping at all.
    Then when I buy a song, it takes about 10 minutes or more to download which is also a joke, since when I obtain music in a 'different' way, it takes less than 3 minutes a track.
    Three minutes a track? That's still really slow. What connection are you on? Takes about 3-5 second per song here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.