Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, can someone tell me whether university students are eligible for free NHS prescriptions or even optician checkups etc? I assume we should because we are still in full time education?

ReputationRep:
    no, we have to pay

ReputationRep:
    so unfair i've been getting my medicine for free since i was like 2

ReputationRep:
    what?
    is there anyway of getting around it?

ReputationRep:
    its not unfair really, i think its fair enough, there are forms you can fill in to get a discount, personally im happy to pay for my prescriptions, as i know inreality they cost a lot more. PLUS be ******* grateful you're getting them so cheap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cocoangel)
    so unfair i've been getting my medicine for free since i was like 2
    So have I :p:

Anyway, some places do student discounts (eg Specsavers). I think it's over 50% off in some cases. [I wouldn't trust Specsavers - they messed up my prescription :sadnod:]
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Welcome Squad
    You can fill out forms to try and claim for costs due to having a low income. Most students get it but it really depends on how much you have coming in from everything uni based.

ReputationRep:
    thats so shabba, i have really bad hayfever and get super strong prescription meds for it, and i get loads per month so it will be well expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    its not unfair really, i think its fair enough, there are forms you can fill in to get a discount
    They're free for everyone in Wales / Scotland, just not England. How is that fair?

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
    im happy to pay for my prescriptions, as i know inreality they cost a lot more. PLUS be ******* grateful you're getting them so cheap
    Some of the most common drugs are less than £7.20, like inhalers.

:ninja: I work in a Rowlands haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTard)
    thats so shabba, i have really bad hayfever and get super strong prescription meds for it, and i get loads per month so it will be well expensive
    You can get a prepayment certificate which works out cheaper if you get more than something like 3 items in 3 months.

ReputationRep:
    do you have to pay?? or is that just in england... because i've never paid for a prescription and i started uni last year.... :ninja:

Nothing is free when you go to university!

You can apply for the HC1, but you may only be successful in gaining a certificate that will help with some of the costs.

ReputationRep:
    these a form you can get from your local doctors H something, fill that in, chance are they say no, but you can try,
    its a bit unfair we are students with no fixed income, unfair anyone has to pay for drugs but there you go, £7.50 is nothing really compared to getting a eye test and new glasses or seeing the dentist, which cost a lot more

ReputationRep:
    Fill out a HC something form, they send you a certificate and you get free prescriptions. I think it might just be if you're in a low income family though.

ReputationRep:
    I have an exemption card from prescription costs. If your picking up regular prescriptions you should check whether you could receive one.

ReputationRep:
    You get it until 19. You're also entitled to free prescriptions after that if you have a low income, but I reckon I meet the criteria, have filled the form in before and never received a card or even notification of my application. System doesn't seem to work too well.

ReputationRep:
    It's not free in Scotland, just a bit cheaper. However, it will be free in the next few years. England have to get their act together.

ReputationRep:
    Students ARE eligible, permitting they are from a low income family, where the household earnings are less than a certain amount. However, part time wages and student loans also add to this amount.

ReputationRep:
    you need a HC1 form. All free for people in full time education! I never paid a penny unitll I was 21! Get to the chemist or student union and as for HC1 form! you can even get free wigs if your bald!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jdizzle09)
    do you have to pay?? or is that just in england... because i've never paid for a prescription and i started uni last year.... :ninja:
    You should be paying £4 per prescription. :p:

I've never had a free prescription because until I was 19 I hadn't ever needed a prescription for anything. ******* asthma.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.