free NHS Prescriptions whilst at uni?

Watch
CS_Prodigy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi, can someone tell me whether university students are eligible for free NHS prescriptions or even optician checkups etc? I assume we should because we are still in full time education?
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
no, we have to pay
cocoangel
Report 11 years ago
so unfair i've been getting my medicine for free since i was like 2
Est.1989
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
what?
is there anyway of getting around it?
Subcutaneous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
its not unfair really, i think its fair enough, there are forms you can fill in to get a discount, personally im happy to pay for my prescriptions, as i know inreality they cost a lot more. PLUS be ******* grateful you're getting them so cheap
TheTallOne
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cocoangel)
so unfair i've been getting my medicine for free since i was like 2
So have I :p:

Anyway, some places do student discounts (eg Specsavers). I think it's over 50% off in some cases. [I wouldn't trust Specsavers - they messed up my prescription :sadnod:]
ParadoxSocks
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You can fill out forms to try and claim for costs due to having a low income. Most students get it but it really depends on how much you have coming in from everything uni based.
TheTard
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thats so shabba, i have really bad hayfever and get super strong prescription meds for it, and i get loads per month so it will be well expensive
PGtips92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Subcutaneous)
its not unfair really, i think its fair enough, there are forms you can fill in to get a discount
They're free for everyone in Wales / Scotland, just not England. How is that fair?

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
im happy to pay for my prescriptions, as i know inreality they cost a lot more. PLUS be ******* grateful you're getting them so cheap
Some of the most common drugs are less than £7.20, like inhalers.

:ninja: I work in a Rowlands haha
PGtips92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheTard)
thats so shabba, i have really bad hayfever and get super strong prescription meds for it, and i get loads per month so it will be well expensive
You can get a prepayment certificate which works out cheaper if you get more than something like 3 items in 3 months.
Jdizzle09
Report 11 years ago
do you have to pay?? or is that just in england... because i've never paid for a prescription and i started uni last year.... :ninja:
DancinBallerina
Badges: 20
Report 11 years ago
Nothing is free when you go to university!

You can apply for the HC1, but you may only be successful in gaining a certificate that will help with some of the costs.
WhatTheFunk
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
these a form you can get from your local doctors H something, fill that in, chance are they say no, but you can try,
its a bit unfair we are students with no fixed income, unfair anyone has to pay for drugs but there you go, £7.50 is nothing really compared to getting a eye test and new glasses or seeing the dentist, which cost a lot more
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Fill out a HC something form, they send you a certificate and you get free prescriptions. I think it might just be if you're in a low income family though.
DammitBauer
Report 11 years ago
I have an exemption card from prescription costs. If your picking up regular prescriptions you should check whether you could receive one.
Dionysus
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You get it until 19. You're also entitled to free prescriptions after that if you have a low income, but I reckon I meet the criteria, have filled the form in before and never received a card or even notification of my application. System doesn't seem to work too well.
right_good_boodjie
Report 11 years ago
It's not free in Scotland, just a bit cheaper. However, it will be free in the next few years. England have to get their act together.
robbo3045
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Students ARE eligible, permitting they are from a low income family, where the household earnings are less than a certain amount. However, part time wages and student loans also add to this amount.
Gaylei
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you need a HC1 form. All free for people in full time education! I never paid a penny unitll I was 21! Get to the chemist or student union and as for HC1 form! you can even get free wigs if your bald!
foxo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jdizzle09)
do you have to pay?? or is that just in england... because i've never paid for a prescription and i started uni last year.... :ninja:
You should be paying £4 per prescription. :p:

I've never had a free prescription because until I was 19 I hadn't ever needed a prescription for anything. ******* asthma.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (125)
28.22%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.09%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.64%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.26%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.8%

Watched Threads