The Student Room Group

free NHS Prescriptions whilst at uni?

Scroll to see replies

I filled all the forms in and they say I have too much money to get help... would like to see this money! I'm from a low income home but because they take loans/grants into account it means I don't get help. I get prescriptions all the time though so I brought a prepayment thingy- £30 or something for 3 months.
Dionysus
You get it until 19. You're also entitled to free prescriptions after that if you have a low income, but I reckon I meet the criteria, have filled the form in before and never received a card or even notification of my application. System doesn't seem to work too well.

It doesn't.

I have a medical exemption, and I still haven't had my card or anything :frown: I applied for it a year ago.

I know I am eligible, but haven't been officially informed.

(I claim anyway :p:)

EDIT: Just called up, turns out it has been sent to the wrong address... random. Says a lot about the reputation of it that I hadn't even bothered to call up and find out!
yer, you need a HC1 form to fill in then they will send you a HC2
Miss Monkey
I filled all the forms in and they say I have too much money to get help... would like to see this money! I'm from a low income home but because they take loans/grants into account it means I don't get help. I get prescriptions all the time though so I brought a prepayment thingy- £30 or something for 3 months.

they didnt take my loans and grants into account when i paid for it because i got everything you can have help with costs for
.x.Steff.x.
they didnt take my loans and grants into account when i paid for it because i got everything you can have help with costs for

Really?! When did you apply? I did it last year and the forms asked for details of my loans and grants etc, I had to show them a copy of my loan schedule!! It's definitely not my parents wages pushing me above the boundary because my Dad isn't here, and my Mum doesn't work. Might have to apply again!
Reply 25
robinson999
these a form you can get from your local doctors H something, fill that in, chance are they say no, but you can try,
its a bit unfair we are students with no fixed income, unfair anyone has to pay for drugs but there you go, £7.50 is nothing really compared to getting a eye test and new glasses or seeing the dentist, which cost a lot more

Take a trip to Greece! As an EU citizen you are entitled to free eye tests and most subscribed medicine are free! There's only some bureocracy and quite long queues, but who cares? Free is gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood! :P
That's medical tourism!! :biggrin:
Miss Monkey
Really?! When did you apply? I did it last year and the forms asked for details of my loans and grants etc, I had to show them a copy of my loan schedule!! It's definitely not my parents wages pushing me above the boundary because my Dad isn't here, and my Mum doesn't work. Might have to apply again!

i applied just ater my 19th last november...i had to send all the forms off as well showing my loans and the bursery i got from uni, i also told them about how much mony i had in my savings account (which wasnt alot)
Reply 27
.x.Steff.x.
i also told them about how much mony i had in my savings account (which wasnt alot)

If it's under 6k, they ignore it. I'm lucky that I get free prescriptions (I didn't know until I asked recently) and free eye tests.

They take all loans and grants 9apart from special support grant) into account whether you take it out or not.
I might be being a bit thick here - but will my contraceptive pill be free when i start uni in Nottingham? I live in wales at the mo so everything is free anyway! :smile:
Titch89
If it's under 6k, they ignore it. I'm lucky that I get free prescriptions (I didn't know until I asked recently) and free eye tests.

They take all loans and grants 9apart from special support grant) into account whether you take it out or not.

ahhh right i didnt know they ignored that, thank you

i normally get free prescriptions anyway because i live in n.wales but i got the forms because im at uni in birmingham
dances_with_lamposts
I might be being a bit thick here - but will my contraceptive pill be free when i start uni in Nottingham? I live in wales at the mo so everything is free anyway! :smile:

I THINK contraception is free, i mean Ive not paid for my implant
Contraceptive Pill is free when you go uni don't worry!
When I applied for the HC2 as an undergraduate, I didn't qualify because student loans counted as income. Now I'm a postgraduate, my total funds are in the red so I get free everything!
Reply 33
Subcutaneous
its not unfair really, i think its fair enough, there are forms you can fill in to get a discount, personally im happy to pay for my prescriptions, as i know inreality they cost a lot more. PLUS be ******* grateful you're getting them so cheap

But how is it fair that if you live in Wales/Scotland you DON'T have to pay for them?

Also, it is absolutely NOT always the case that you're necessarily getting things cheap on prescription - I went with my best friend to pick up a prescription her Doc. had just given her for her skin, and the pharmacist (and I bet this doesn't happen everywhere) looked at the prescription and told her to scrap it as she could get it cheaper over the counter. I think it actually cost about £4.
Reply 34
Charlski
she could get it cheaper over the counter. I think it actually cost about £4.

I got told this by my GP. Good thing too because I couldn't remember the name of it, when asked what I was on.

Contraceptive is free whatever your income. (because it's cheaper to give you them for free than it is to pay benefits if you get pregnant) There should be a tick box on the prescription saying that any contraception is free.
You can fill in a HC1 form to get a HC2 certificate which allows for free prescriptions, but as soon as you reach 20 all that goes out the window.
Im trying to find money to go to the dentists at the moment (havent been for a year), £16 for a ruddy check up, pfft.
Reply 36
PGtips92

Some of the most common drugs are less than £7.20, like inhalers.

If it is then ask the doc for a private prescription? Then you pay the real price.
Dimitris
Take a trip to Greece! As an EU citizen you are entitled to free eye tests and most subscribed medicine are free! There's only some bureocracy and quite long queues, but who cares? Free is gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood! :P
That's medical tourism!! :biggrin:

yeah but with the cost to fly to greece, and sorting that all out, easier to pop along, 15- 20 test, your fine, or you need new glasses, its just easier :p:

and i didn't know that
Subcutaneous
no, we have to pay

You can get free prescriptions when you fill in the HC1 form.
smilee172
You can get free prescriptions when you fill in the HC1 form.

im earning too much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending