Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I wanted to know how much of a rah (ie. snobby people that live off daddies money, wear ugg boots, messy hair, jack wills/abercrombie and fitch wearing) reputation manchester university has, and how many there, compared to the university of birmingham and nottingham?

Just to clarify, i have nothing against these types of people at all, I just want to know if manchester has a reputation for them.?

ReputationRep:
    As "rah" as you want it to be.

Here's someone who may be able to help:

(Original post by Claire_Elizabeth)
    x

ReputationRep:
    Is this so you can decide what your fasion should be at university so you fit in?
    Anyways, every university is full of lame people fitting into lame groups so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    To be honest even the snobbiest people at these common middle-class unis are nowhere near as 'rah' as those that go to the top prestigious ones. You see students who have dads that are like millionaires, belonging to the royal family of some arab country or something.

Also, LOL at thinking that ugg boots is something that indicates financial superiority :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Not really, its Gunchester after all

ReputationRep:
    The University of Manchester has a high proportion of wealthy southern students who will definitely give it a noticable ''rah'' tint. So if you go to certain places, be in certain lectures, certain halls etc. then it will be quite rah. On the other hand, it's a university of 40,000 students, so I'd imagine every subculture was fairly well represented. I think Manchester (along with most of the other redbricks) is mainly composed of the pretty intelligent, fairly attractive, Leeds festival going, Topshop/man students, who are (cliched as they may be) nice people in general.

I'm certain Nottingham is far more ''rah''.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)
    The University of Manchester has a high proportion of wealthy southern students who will definitely give it a noticable ''rah'' tint. So if you go to certain places, be in certain lectures, certain halls etc. then it will be quite rah. On the other hand, it's a university of 40,000 students, so I'd imagine every subculture was fairly well represented. I think Manchester (along with most of the other redbricks) is mainly composed of the pretty intelligent, fairly attractive, Leeds festival going, Topshop/man students, who are (cliched as they may be) nice people in general.

Awesome response. Repped.

Just out of interest, why are you certian that nottingham is far more rah than manchester and birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    Awesome response. Repped.

Just out of interest, why are you certian that nottingham is far more rah than manchester and birmingham?
    Cheers for that.

In answer to your question; ''rahs'' tend to be Southern, Nottingham is in the South. ''Rahs'' tend to be fairly intelligent (their dress sense/world outlook just lets them down) - Nottingham is a better/has a greater reputation than Manchester, at least domestically. It's also down to what I've seen/heard from people at both unis. Rahs are fairly widespread in universities all over the country, but the 'hotspots' at it were, tend to be the upper middle class, fairly prestigous, Oxbridge competitor unis like Nottingham, Bristol and Durham (allegedly Durham's the worst).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninety_nine)

Nottingham is in the South. '
    MIDLANDS
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Originally Posted by ninety_nine

This comment is best to describe.

Nottingham may not be morrre rah then Manchester as such. But, Manchester has more in numbers and probably has more in numbers of rah then Nottingham but it gets weighed out by being one of the most international unis, has a great diversity of ethnic heritage, social classes, financial backgrounds and represents Britain and N.I very well in terms of mix from around the UK (which you would expect being the largest university in the UK and having such an awesome student city without the expense that is London). Whereas Nottingham uni you will NOTICE the rahs more, even if statistically there are less than Manc there is a higher percentage I would say.

ReputationRep:
    Nearly every student in/around manchester is a cockney.
    And it really annoys me. that accent ;[
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Don't think they're ACTUAL cockneys dude. They may be from London. There are a LOT of people with that accent, *think the one you're going for*, but lots of people from the North, quite a few from South West, East of England, Midlands, N.I and (i think the highest proportion of internationals). It's not like UEA where everyone is from the South and being from anywhere BUT the south will get you ridiculed for. In UEA everyone assumes you're from the home counties or london, if not, you're a 'weird foreigner'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost Grey)
    Don't think they're ACTUAL cockneys dude. They may be from London. There are a LOT of people with that accent, *think the one you're going for*, but lots of people from the North, quite a few from South West, East of England, Midlands, N.I and (i think the highest proportion of internationals). It's not like UEA where everyone is from the South and being from anywhere BUT the south will get you ridiculed for. In UEA everyone assumes you're from the home counties or london, if not, you're a 'weird foreigner'.
    yeah, I meant that type of accent not just Londoners.
    I don't know why, but it just annoys me xD
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Annoys me too. Now, lets talk about accents we DO love. Hmm I'd have to say the Hull accent. It's Am-AZ-ING. If i want to be turned on i just listen to people from Hull. Yearh bwabee!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost Grey)
    Annoys me too. Now, lets talk about accents we DO love. Hmm I'd have to say the Hull accent. It's Am-AZ-ING. If i want to be turned on i just listen to people from Hull. Yearh bwabee!
    posh manc accent is good (:

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Uni has 487563874653745 different types of people. No worries :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    posh manc accent is good (:
    What "posh" Manc accent-there's no such thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    What "posh" Manc accent-there's no such thing
    southern manchester, going into cheshire

and also, there are posh manc accents

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charzhino)
    Not really, its Gunchester after all
    Bolton is even worser, a hell hole. Lets be honest here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    southern manchester, going into cheshire

and also, there are posh manc accents
    The real posh accents are from Cheshire itself tbf.....most people in the "posh parts" of South Manchester are Southerners anyway!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.