Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Affirmative PD. Well you savaged my garden of hopes and dreams there. Diana is a good friend of mine! We could've been mutual friends on facebook. Well, alas, you don't know what you've got until you say goodbye.. But, we never said hello. I'll leave that to my friend Mr Lion of Ritchie.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by priceless_beauty)
    Hi

I wanted to know how much of a rah (ie. snobby people that live off daddies money, wear ugg boots, messy hair, jack wills/abercrombie and fitch wearing) reputation manchester university has, and how many there, compared to the university of birmingham and nottingham?

Just to clarify, i have nothing against these types of people at all, I just want to know if manchester has a reputation for them.?
    The proportion of international students could be a good indicator, seeing as they have to pay huge fees and tend to be richer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    can someone show me a picture of this supposed rah girls or whatever i have no idea what any of this means

Orange skin, distinctive clothing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost Grey)
    Don't think they're ACTUAL cockneys dude. They may be from London. There are a LOT of people with that accent, *think the one you're going for*, but lots of people from the North, quite a few from South West, East of England, Midlands, N.I and (i think the highest proportion of internationals). It's not like UEA where everyone is from the South and being from anywhere BUT the south will get you ridiculed for. In UEA everyone assumes you're from the home counties or london, if not, you're a 'weird foreigner'.
    I'm from Oxford and going to UEA in Sept. Is it weird that I'm so happy there's lots of southerners? :p:

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your course. In my group of friends there's only one southerner, and she's actually Birmingham so that's middle anyway.

You're not gonna get there and think "omg I'm surrounded by southerners" because it should be a fairly even mix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    The real posh accents are from Cheshire itself tbf.....most people in the "posh parts" of South Manchester are Southerners anyway!
    Yeah, I noticed this too, it really surprised me when I moved to Manc. Didsbury is full of toffs. Hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    It seems that most people are either semi local or from the south. of course, this is just my personal experiance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4G_dollars)
    Bolton is even worser, a hell hole. Lets be honest here.
    For guns? Is it 'eck! Boltonians would have trouble weilding anything but penknives in general, they're all doped up and weedy. By the way, I'm from Bolton haha.

To answer the original question - it's rah to someone like me, very rah. Many of the working class friends I know who have gone there tend to drop out because of financial pressures (also they're probably not used to having a lump sum of loan in their bank account so they spend it on clothes and crap!) so having daddy's money behind you is a definite advantage. That said, rahs don't bother me, most of the students will be very nice.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh the dreaded Rahs. When I went to visit manchester I saw quite a few!
    My sister is a 'Rah' and refuses to step out of the house without Jack Wills or Abercrombie plastered across her chest. Drives me insane!
    But I guess You get them everywhere. Newcastle was definitely 10 times worse then Manchester though which is slightly comforting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    For guns? Is it 'eck! Boltonians would have trouble weilding anything but penknives in general, they're all doped up and weedy. By the way, I'm from Bolton haha.

To answer the original question - it's rah to someone like me, very rah. Many of the working class friends I know who have gone there tend to drop out because of financial pressures (also they're probably not used to having a lump sum of loan in their bank account so they spend it on clothes and crap!) so having daddy's money behind you is a definite advantage. That said, rahs don't bother me, most of the students will be very nice.
    I just assumed cos it is near salford. Why do parts of Salford insist that they are from Bolton?

ReputationRep:
    my course has quite a lot of rahs, but then my course is almost exclusively made up of white, upper middle class girls who like jane austen and I suppose that sort of goes hand in hand with "rahs".

ReputationRep:
    I just assumed cos it is near salford. Why do parts of Salford insist that they are from Bolton?
    What? I think that you're mix in some odd circles. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean why do parts of Bolton insist they are from Salford?!?! :p: Yeah there's a lot of spillovers - take Little Hulton for example: it's broadly classed as Manchester but it's right next to where I live in Bolton and is FULL of people with broad Salford accents. It's basically one giant council estate where Salford families moved in the 70's I believe. Bolton gets a lot nicer the further away from Manchester you get though, so I can see where your logic is.

ReputationRep:
    I never seen any tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    MIDLANDS
    Yeah really, I'm from Cambridge which isn't that far south but seems like everywhere north of here is north. (and every south of here is south.) Geography extends to stereotyping I guess.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.