Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How bad is missing one pill? watch

Announcements

Dianette at around 3-5 days after her period ended(can't remember exactly when). She just realized. I don't think I finished in her at the time but we certainly had unprotected sex. Not particularly worried just curious as to how high my risk is?

ReputationRep:
    You should be very worried. She should take the missing pill.

Very worried? It was only one pill and I didn't even finish in her. I actually think she may have taken the missing pill the day after she missed it and just bothered to tell me now. Even if she wasn't on the pill and I didn't finish in her the probability of pregnancy isn't great so why should I worry so much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Even if she wasn't on the pill and I didn't finish in her the probability of pregnancy isn't great so why should I worry so much?
    I know - a typical 15-28% failure rate; nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    If a dianette pill's taken over 12 hours late/missed then there's an increased risk of pregnancy and you should use extra contraception for 7 days following the missed pill.

So yeah, you might have a sprog on the way...

ReputationRep:
    Missing one is all it takes. Within 12 hours of missing it she should be fine and if she takes it now as normal you'll be covered.
    If were talking within the last 7 days that she missed it, then you'll need the morning after pill just incase.

If it was more than 7 days ago that she missed a pill, but shes been taking it ok and as normal ever since, it should be fine.

(Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    I know - a typical 15-28% failure rate; nothing to worry about.
    ??

I can't tell if that is sarcastic or not? Should I really be worried? She usually takes the pill like clockwork, it was just one pill, and I didn't finish with her. Can anyone give me a numerical probability as to how likely it is she is pregnant?

ReputationRep:
    ??
    Can anyone give me a numerical probability as to how likely it is she is pregnant?
    I was being sarcastic, but the percentage I gave is not false.

ReputationRep:
    My eldest sister was born from a missed pill...

...a story I relish in sibling battles :P

(Original post by Eddie_90)

Hah I bet that's a killer but anecdotal evidence aside I am rather skeptical that a single missed pill taken around 18 hours after it should have been taken in conjunction with the pill for the day would be so terrible that unprotected sex in which the male does not ejaculate would have up to a 28% chance of causing pregnancy. It just seems unlikely to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddie_90)

Hah, Mistake!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hah I bet that's a killer but anecdotal evidence aside I am rather skeptical that a single missed pill taken around 18 hours after it should have been taken in conjunction with the pill for the day would be so terrible that unprotected sex in which the male does not ejaculate would have up to a 28% chance of causing pregnancy. It just seems unlikely to me.
    Yeah that's true, what's even more funny is my mum missed that day's pill because she had diarrhoea!

ReputationRep:
    Fingers crossed, but maybe ask your gf if she'll go on the injection? You only need to have it once every three months and its typical use failure rate is 3%, with perfect use being 0.3%.
    Also, I've been quoted by someone in this thread but there's no actual post, which is confusing.

Fingers crossed, but maybe ask your gf if she'll go on the injection? You only need to have it once every three months and its typical use failure rate is 3%, with perfect use being 0.3%.
    Also, I've been quoted by someone in this thread but there's no actual post, which is confusing.
    Happens for a deleted post. Was your 28% statistic based upon protected sex involving ejaculation? Would it be reduced if I did not ejaculate?

ReputationRep:
    It might be unlikely, but when you consider that some women still get pregnant whilst actually having taken the pill correctly it puts it into perspective a little. Better to be safe than sorry and have the morning after pill right?

(Original post by timetokill)
    It might be unlikely, but when you consider that some women still get pregnant whilst actually having taken the pill correctly it puts it into perspective a little. Better to be safe than sorry and have the morning after pill right?
    Too late now, I'm just looking for a probability number. It's of little consequence as me and my girlfriend have talked about pregnancy and we're both sure about an abortion, so it's just an inconvenience.

ReputationRep:
    Happens for a deleted post. Was your 28% statistic based upon protected sex involving ejaculation? Would it be reduced if I did
    not ejaculate?
    Yeah it can be as low as 4%. It sounds too late for the MAP now anyway.

Yeah it can be as low as 4%. It sounds too late for the MAP now anyway.
    Ah 4%, that's more in the ballpark I was looking for :p:. What range of probabilities am I looking at? Here's hoping all the biking has made me infertile. Lets hope they swim in circles.

ReputationRep:
    Too late now, I'm just looking for a probability number. It's of little consequence as me and my girlfriend have talked about pregnancy and we're both sure about an abortion, so it's just an inconvenience.
    Well in fairness, seeing as you didnt even finish up in her it is likely to be fine and morning after pill would have just been a 'just incase' type thing. If it were me I wouldnt be worried, but theres always a chance. No one will really be able to give an accurate figure, it'll depend far too much on specific details like at what point she was in her cycle and stuff. You can only wait and see I guess.

(Original post by timetokill)
    Well in fairness, seeing as you didnt even finish up in her it is likely to be fine and morning after pill would have just been a 'just incase' type thing. If it were me I wouldnt be worried, but theres always a chance. No one will really be able to give an accurate figure, it'll depend far too much on specific details like at what point she was in her cycle and stuff. You can only wait and see I guess.
    Point in her cycle is in the first post :p:. Ah well time will tell. I do find it interesting that there are many fellow night people here tho hah.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.