Turn on thread page Beta

How bad is missing one pill? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ah 4%, that's more in the ballpark I was looking for :p:. What range of probabilities am I looking at? Here's hoping all the biking has made me infertile. Lets hope they swim in circles.
    IF SHE'S MISSED A PILL WITH DIANETTE IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD

Seriously, you can miss up to 2 pills max with out being in danger. If she took the pill as soon as she remembered after missing it, and the next one at her normal time she'll be fine. I'm on Dianette, been through this already.

ReputationRep:
    Too late now, I'm just looking for a probability number. It's of little consequence as me and my girlfriend have talked about pregnancy and we're both sure about an abortion, so it's just an inconvenience.
    An abortion can (probably would) be very traumatic, you shouldn't shrug it off like that. It's never acceptable to think of the availability of abortion as an excuse to practice contraception badly - really, really stupid to have sex if you missed a pill.

(Original post by I Love Dog)
    An abortion can (probably would) be very traumatic, you shouldn't shrug it off like that. It's never acceptable to think of the availability of abortion as an excuse to practice contraception badly - really, really stupid to have sex if you missed a pill.
    With all due respect I wasn't aware at the time.

ReputationRep:
    My DR told me that if you forget to take that days pill for but remember 12 hours later that you need to take the pill you forgot and the next days pill and then you mustn't have unprotected sex for 7 days.

I'm on Yasmin and its a piece of **** to be honest, well its working for me but I've heard that people have gotten pregnant just by forgetting to take it by a few hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    IF SHE'S MISSED A PILL WITH DIANETTE IT'S NOT THE END OF THE WORLD

Seriously, you can miss up to 2 pills max with out being in danger. If she took the pill as soon as she remembered after missing it, and the next one at her normal time she'll be fine. I'm on Dianette, been through this already.
    Really? My doctor told me in a really over-the-top fashion that over 12 hours late it'd be like a ticking time bomb. The book reiterates what my doctor said... Where/how'd you find that out?

ReputationRep:
    With all due respect I wasn't aware at the time.
    Ahh, that sucks. If it's too late for the morning after pill it sucks worse, but you'll probably be fine and more careful in future. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deanna19)
    My DR told me that if you forget to take that days pill for but remember 12 hours later that you need to take the pill you forgot and the next days pill and then you mustn't have unprotected sex for 7 days.

I'm on Yasmin and its a piece of **** to be honest, well its working for me but I've heard that people have gotten pregnant just by forgetting to take it by a few hours.
    Crap, really? I never remember to take mine at the same time each day...hmm maybe time to switch to some new contraception!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zastrugi)
    Really? My doctor told me in a really over-the-top fashion that over 12 hours late it'd be like a ticking time bomb. The book reiterates what my doctor said... Where/how'd you find that out?
    If you are more than 12 hours late in taking a pill, or have missed more than one pill, contraceptive protection may be lower, so you must use extra protection. Follow the instructions for the 7-day rule.

7-day rule

Take the most recent 'late' pill and continue to take your next pills at your normal times and use an extra contraceptive method (condoms or cap plus spermicide) for the next 7 days. If your present pack ends before the 7 days do, start the next pack the next day, without a break. This means taking a pill every day during your normal 7 pill-free days. You will not have a period until you have finished the next pack, but this is not harmful. You may see some bleeding on pill-taking days, but do not worry. If no bleeding occurs in the 7 day break see the section entitled "What to do if you miss a period".

2. If one pill is 12 hours late or less

Don't worry. Contraceptive protection should not be affected if you take the late pill at once, and keep taking your next pills at the usual time.
    Quoted from a patient information site. I would quote from the booklet itself as it says pretty much the same thing but I don't know exactly where it is.

Me and my boyfriend had a sleepless night over the same thing, several phone calls to NHS direct and then a visit to the on-call doctor at A&E because I'd left my pills at home 60+ miles away.

OP, she doesn't need to take the MAP, just to take the pill she missed, then the next one on time.

http://emc.medicines.org.uk/document...ocumentId=3409

But hypothetically had she forgotten a pill and simply never taken it then continued her regiment, and we had unprotected sex without me ejaculating what would the likelihood of pregnancy be?

ReputationRep:
    But hypothetically had she forgotten a pill and simply never taken it then continued her regiment, and we had unprotected sex without me ejaculating what would the likelihood of pregnancy be?
    She'd still needs to take the pill she missed. For example, she takes her pill at 10am and she missed today's, you had sex later and did whatever you did. She needs to take today's pill NOW and then continue as normal, taking another pill at 10am tomorrow.

She'd still needs to take the pill she missed. For example, she takes her pill at 10am and she missed today's, you had sex later and did whatever you did. She needs to take today's pill N-O-W and then continue as normal, taking another pill at 10am tomorrow.
    This is past tense she already took the missed pill as well, I'm just curious as to how bad it would be in terms of a probability in a worst case scenario.

ReputationRep:
    This is past tense she already took the missed pill as well, I'm just curious as to how bad it would be in terms of a probability in a worst case scenario.
    If she's taken her missed pill, and she takes it correctly tomorrow it's 99% that she's not pregnant, or whatever the statistics for the effectiveness of the pill is.

If she's taken her missed pill, and she takes it correctly tomorrow it's 99% that she's not pregnant, or whatever the statistics for the effectiveness of the pill is.
    But had she not taken it until 24 hours after she should have?

ReputationRep:
    But had she not taken it until 24 hours after she should have?
    It'd be the same percentage. Just read the link I posted, the bottom of section 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    Crap, really? I never remember to take mine at the same time each day...hmm maybe time to switch to some new contraception!
    Yeah I never take mine at the same time each day...well its always as soon as I wake up.....but some times I sleep in.

I forgot to take right up until I got home in the afternoon one day so I just took the next days as well and then My boyfriend and I were just extra careful.

I should probably switch to a new one seeing as the one I'm on is classed as a pretty low one but I don't want to have to adjust to a stronger one.

ReputationRep:
    Possible but very low.

ReputationRep:
    Too late now, I'm just looking for a probability number. It's of little consequence as me and my girlfriend have talked about pregnancy and we're both sure about an abortion, so it's just an inconvenience.

Because of people like you I hope the government will make it a lot harder to get abortions! It's not a **** "inconvenience", it's a abortion, an emotionally and physically very demanding process for your gf which can have severe consequences. And ffs, an abortion IS NOT a form of contraception. Don't get me wrong, mistakes happen and we are all happy that abortions are legal but in your case you were just to lazy/stupid to use contraception and didn't even care enough to get the morning after pill!

Is it really so hard to use a condom when your gf forgets to take the pill?

ReputationRep:
    It'd be the same percentage. Just read the link I posted, the bottom of section 3.
    That's only if she takes the missed pill WITHIN the 12 hours though. If it's less than 12 hours then you do just take the missed pill and then carry on taking them as normal. If she forgets and then takes it 12 or more hours after she normally would then you're definitely not protected.

To be honest though, I wouldn't recommend dinaette as a form of contraception. I used to be on it for my skin and although its contraceptive qualities are a side effect its main use is for acne and a few other things. I remember my doctor saying that its effectiveness was only 94% compared to other pills which are 98-99% and it shouldn't be prescribed as a contraceptive alone as there are much better pills available. I don't know your girlfriend's situation, she may be taking it for something else too like I was, but if it's just contraception it may be worth changing to something with a little higher %. A girl I know was on dianette and got pregnant and didn't realise til she was 6 months! Obviously that can happen with any pill but when she found out the doctors were really surprised she had even been prescribed it as a contraceptive!

Anyway, up to you, just thought i'd mention it.

I doubt you are at much risk of pregnancy from the scenario you described. How long after she realised she's missed the pill did she take it? And how long ago was it since you had unprotected sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hanhan88)
    That's only if she takes the missed pill WITHIN the 12 hours though. If it's less than 12 hours then you do just take the missed pill and then carry on taking them as normal. If she forgets and then takes it 12 or more hours after she normally would then you're definitely not protected.

To be honest though, I wouldn't recommend dinaette as a form of contraception. I used to be on it for my skin and although its contraceptive qualities are a side effect its main use is for acne and a few other things. I remember my doctor saying that its effectiveness was only 94% compared to other pills which are 98-99% and it shouldn't be prescribed as a contraceptive alone as there are much better pills available.
    She is. She's protected for when she has sex after the missed pill, then she'd need to take it asap and the rest of her pills as normal. The only thing she's not protected for are the next seven days.

There's nothing that says it's less effective as a method of contraception than any other pill. The booklet that comes with it clarifies that, and states that you don't need to use another method of contraception when using Dianette and that it is as effective as any other combined pill.

If it was as low as 94% it'd have to be there in print.

ReputationRep:
    She is. She's protected for when she has sex after the missed pill, then she'd need to take it asap and the rest of her pills as normal. The only thing she's not protected for are the next seven days.

There's nothing that says it's less effective as a method of contraception than any other pill. The booklet that comes with it clarifies that, and states that you don't need to use another method of contraception when using Dianette and that it is as effective as any other combined pill.

If it was as low as 94% it'd have to be there in print.
    I really don't understand where you're getting that from! Reading what you linked to earlier it doesn't say that at all. If you remember the 'missed' pill within 12 hours then you're protected completely and that's fine. If it goes over 12 hours then as soon as you cross that 12 hour mark you are no longer protected and need to take your pill straight away and take the rest as normal and use extra for seven days. you're not protected for the rest of the day AFTER that 12 hours.

Well i'm just going by what my doctors have said. Because I was using it for contraception they wanted to ge tme off it and onto something more reliable as soon as my skin problems cleared up. You're not really suposed to stay on it that long anyway, but they hurried it up because it wasn't so effective.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.