Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm in my final semester and there is this one lecturer that i'm worried about. Most of my mates said that he's quite strict in marking the students papers. Well although he is quite strict, his teaching is excellent. And i've meet him in person, quite the soft spoken guy. Well there are other lecturers as well that are more lenient and easy to get marks but quite boring and i've no idea who they are and how they teach. And to change my class now is quite hard since most of the other classes are full. I can still change though since priority is given to graduating students.

my question is, should i take with this lecturer? i'm quite intimidated (i've no idea why now after i registered then i feel it lol) or should i just make the effort to change to other classes.

thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    He cares if he's strict, so long as he's fair and consistent, which I'm sure he will be.

ReputationRep:
    Just learn the stuff and the fact that hes a strict marker wont be a problem. If you get something right, its right. You can always appeal and get a remark if you ever feel he was too strict with marking.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Choose modules based on your interest in them and the content covered, not based on whether the lecturer is a strict marker or not.

ReputationRep:
    If he's a good teacher and the subject interests you, you should take it. If you pay attention and keep your attendance up he should make his expectations clear in lectures so that you'll know how to reach his standards.

ReputationRep:
    can always appeal and get a remark if you ever feel he was too strict with marking.
    This policy will probably vary depending on the university. At my university, it is necessary to be able to establish that the code of practice was not followed or was applied unfairly in order to launch an appeal. Obviously, this is a difficult thing to prove.

ReputationRep:
    I once had a strict teacher in A level chemistry, every lesson all I worried about was not looking like a fool in front of the class in case she picked on me. That constant level of anxiety is not good for your psyche and I believe she was part of the reason I got a B instead of an A. My confidence dipped everytime I walked into those classes.

i'm quite intimidated (i've no idea why now after i registered then i feel it lol) or should i just make the effort to change to other classes.
    "Good" for other people may not be good for you, believe it or not, lecturers really don't help you much with your academics. Lecturing itself is the poorest form of learning with the lowest comprehension rate among students. More than half of your knowledge (assuming you are a good student!) is aquired from independent study.
    However, if one lecturer is more strict than another, what's the point in accepting lower marks with the same effort? It really doesn't give you any reasonable advantage in life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.