Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Ucas points calculation confusion..PLS HELP watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm new on tsr so yay!! that's not the point, but please help

For starters I need 240 ucas points to get into uni this year to do biomed science.
    For AS I got grades BBC (biology, health nd social care, and chem respectively)
    A friend of mine told me that I've already got 140 ucas points (half of overall AS grades) from my BBC in AS. Which means I only need 100 points from A2 to make up the 240 points. :confused: :confused:

Is this true because it sounds too good to be true to me?
    And does it matter that i carried on doin the same 3 subjects into A2?
    Help me coz I think i did extremely bad in A2 chem exam.very bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kemistry09)
    I'm new on tsr so yay!! thatz nt d point, bt please help

For starters I need 240 ucas points to get into uni this year to do biomed science.
    For AS I got grades BBC (bio, health nd social care, and chem respectively)
    A friend of mine told me that I've already got 140 ucas points (half of overall AS grades) from my BBC in AS. Which means only need 100 points from A2 to make up the 240 points I need.

Is this true because it sounds too good to be true to me?
    And does it matter that i carried on doin the same 3 subjects into A2?
    Help me cz I think i did extremely bad in A2 chem exam.very bad
    Please don't use text speak -

Your 240 points will need to come from your three A2s. So you need CCC or equivalent (BCD would do, for example). You count the A2s at full points, and ignore the ASs, otherwise you'd be counting the same points twice.

ReputationRep:
    I thought AS is a qualification on it's own that's why we get certificates. AS makes up 50% of the overall A-levels so 50% of ucas points should come from the AS grades. Isn't that why people that get good grades in AS and flunk A2 still sometimes get an OK grade in their A-levels?
    If only my A2 will be considered then i'm doomed and i don't see the point of doing AS. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I thought AS is a qualification on it's own that's why we get certificates. AS makes up 50% of the overall A-levels so 50% of ucas points should come from the AS grades. Isn't that why people that get good grades in AS and flunk A2 still sometimes get an OK grade in their A-levels?
    If only my A2 will be considered then i'm doomed and i don't see the point of doing AS. :mad: :mad: :mad:
    AS is half of A2. AS is a qualification on its own, but when combined with A2 it's worth twice as much.

For example if you got AAAA at AS (240 UCAS) then dropped a subject for A2 and went on to achieve AAA (full A levels combining AS and A2 worth 360 UCAS), you also have your A from AS (60 UCAS points) leaving you with a grand total of 420 UCAS points.

Alot of the time, universities state that they want xxx UCAS from x full A levels, meaning you need to get at least xxx UCAS from at least x A levels.

ReputationRep:
    If only my A2 will be considered then i'm doomed and i don't see the point of doing AS.
    They have equal UMS ratings but UCAS points are not weighted that way. Your A Level involves both AS and A2 to be equally considered for the grade.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.