Turn on thread page Beta

Any ethnic minorites feel quite hurt by some of the threads posted on here? watch

I normally wouldn't post a thread about races on here, since there's so many of them and people get fed up.

But do any ethnic minorities feel a bit targeted when people make threads about non-white people "belonging in their own country"? To me, I'm English. I'm Indian by race, but I've been born and brought up in England, and my values and customs aren't very "Indian-like", but more "English-like".

In school/college/Uni I always counted the number of ethnic minority people in the class and feel a bit "different" and threatened because of it.

Does anyone feel quite hurt when threads like those are posted?

I know, I know, it's just the internet. But I post on here regularly and to see quite a lot of white people who agree with the white supremacy sentiments upsets me a little. It makes me wonder if random people I know in real life in my classes/around my Uni who I know feel the same way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame you for feeling upset. There are some real ****s on here.

A lot of them are just trolls trying to wind everyone up though, if that makes you feel at all better. :o: Or at least that's what I like to hope...

(Original post by generic hybrid)
    I don't blame you for feeling upset. There are some real ****s on here.

A lot of them are just trolls trying to wind everyone up though, if that makes you feel at all better. :o: Or at least that's what I like to hope...
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    i'm English and can sympathize, i think the person that comes across most as a neo nazi is necessarily_benevolent

ReputationRep:
    Nah. Well I suppose it does upset me to see many, young racists, but I don't dwell on it. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I don't live in England but still..some of the posts on here kind of shock me. Ahh well

ReputationRep:
    Meh' if they feel what they feel its their problem..
    I'm black, but I dont let it get to me..besides, if everyone tolerated everyone, the world would be boring..

As long as you're happy with your race, then thats all that matters

ReputationRep:
    If There's One Thing that gets Me most its racism. Towards anyone.
    Well not just racism but prejudice and discrimination.
    I wanna just give it one big KICK and see it FLLLLLYYYYY off of the face of the earth.

ReputationRep:
    WTF is an ethnic minority?

There was this time when these middle-class white guys came to Bangalore and we called them all the most offensive names under the sun (in jest of course, over a golf course) (e.g. m*lk bottle, p*glet, g*ras, gh*st, sp*nky etc.) and they genuinely couldn't care less!

And then we started calling them 'ethnic minority' and they got all angry saying we were being 'patronizing!'.

I'm pretty mixed myself:

My jaw is white, my brain is Oriental, my biceps are Asian, my genitalia are black, and my feet are...um, Brazilian.

yep.

squish.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I do... I'm half white... I do actually sort of look white but I would rather see myself as a "minority" more and more after coming on here... I guess its a bit sad really... It's just some forum and I'm letting it affect me quite a bit. I suppose this is going to turn into some massive thread about racism and how us minorities should stop whining and just be glad that we're allowed to breathe in the same vicinity as "ethnically british" people... what a joke. Funny thing is, I've spent more time in this country than some of those tossers who are still in school and waiting for their a-level results.

Well F*** you I'm not going anywhere...I was born here... I'll stay here and probably retire and die on some nice tropical island if things go to plan. But I'll still call myself britsh. All those idiots will do is argue with people, surround themselves with hate and create enemies. I'm glad that I'm nothing like them. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I don't feel hurt by it, really at all.

1] The ones with those views are in a very small minority. I know most of this country is welcoming.
    2] The reason why it seems there are so many of them on TSR is because BNP-boys and racists tend not to have too many friends, so spend many hours a day on an internet forum.
    3]Half of those threads are troll threads.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    and to see quite a lot of white people who agree with the white supremacy sentiments upsets me a little.
    There are no elements of white supremacy here. Getting pissed off about asians sticking with their 'own kind' and refusing to mix, and the general "F.U England" attitude is a legitimate excuse (for lack of a better word) for these threads. I'm effnik (sic) myself and it still annoys me.

It's an issue that's worth resolving. If some asians, to whom the above applies, are feeling bad about it, instead of automatically using the race card, maybe it's good they'll realise that they partly (albeit a very small part) bring it on themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I don't see why it should affect me in such a way. You should just take the comments with a pinch of salt - they don't really mean anything (to me, at least).
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Once you realise most people are morons, you get over it pretty quick.

ReputationRep:
    You're not English. You're British. There's a distinction, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    You're not English. You're British. There's a distinction, sorry.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    What?

It's not the same thing.

To be English is a racial thing, it's your blood. You have to be White, Anglo-Saxon...

To be British is anyone born in this country/raised/acquires citizenship etc... but it's not an ethnicity like English is (I know English isn't an ethnicity/race as such, I can't remember the word).

You can be black British, Asian british... but not Black English or Asian English or whatever. All English people are British, but not all British people are English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    What?
    You can't be English without being ethnically English. Ethnic minorities are "black" or "Asian" (or whatever else) Britons.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the same thing.

To be English is a racial thing, it's your blood. You have to be White, Anglo-Saxon...

To be British is anyone born in this country/raised/acquires citizenship etc... but it's not an ethnicity like English is (I know English isn't an ethnicity/race as such, I can't remember the word).
    Ah right. Had no idea. I thought it was as simple as 'Born in England' means your English.

Shame.

ReputationRep:
    It's not the same thing.

:yes:

Thats why I always reply Im English whenever I get asked where Im from.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.