Turn on thread page Beta

Any ethnic minorites feel quite hurt by some of the threads posted on here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    i'm English and can sympathize, i think the person that comes across most as a neo nazi is necessarily_benevolent
    Oh be quiet, you lying troll. You were the one making ridiculous sweeping statements like "whites get treated preferentially everywhere in the world", and just because I left you with egg on your face, it doesn't mean I'm a neo-Nazi, get real.

ReputationRep:
    I find it ironic that you "always count the number of ethnic minority people in the class and feel a bit 'different' and threatened because of it". It undermines your suggestion that you consider yourself British. Likewise, white people feel threatened because they see a disproportionate amount of crime committed by ethnic minorities, whether this perception is legitimate is irrelevant; yet they are not allowed to raise this point without being considered racist.

Same logic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Ah right. Had no idea. I thought it was as simple as 'Born in England' means your English.

Shame.
    To me, it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LawBore)
    To me, it does.
    Meh. Not bothered either way, tbh. British, English...s'all good.

ReputationRep:
    To me, it does.
    So you're happy to deny the English an identity? Is that what you're saying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    TSR seems to be full of angry nerds with superiority complexes who spend their nights masturbating onto their GCSE/ A level results certificates
    Hope this makes you feel better lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    Likewise, white people feel threatened because they see a disproportionate amount of crime committed by ethnic minorities, whether this perception is legitimate is irrelevant; yet they are not allowed to raise this point without being considered racist.

Same logic.
    Even tho I am considered ethnic, I would have to agree with that point...I find that especially the younger generation of ethnics can be quite ungrateful and generally do commit more crimes, but saying this automatically makes you racist...doesn't even matter if it's true :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Victim mentality. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    So you're happy to deny the English an identity? Is that what you're saying?
    I don't have my identity threatened just by someone being a different colour than me. If someone is born in England, and acts as such, they are English. Replace that with 'American', 'Spanish', etc., and I feel the same is true.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have my identity threatened just by someone being a different colour than me. If someone is born in England, and acts as such, they are English. Replace that with 'American', 'Spanish', etc., and I feel the same is true.
    It's not an issue of colour. The Scottish aren't English, the Welsh aren't English, the Gauls aren't English. If someone is born in England, and acts as such ('as such' meaning the British way of life) they are Black, Asian etc. British. That's partly like denying the Kurds an identity on the grounds that they're not officially recognised as a nation.

ReputationRep:
    Oh be quiet, you lying troll. You were the one making ridiculous sweeping statements like "whites get treated preferentially everywhere in the world", and just because I left you with egg on your face, it doesn't mean I'm a neo-Nazi, get real.
    you are a racist or at least a bigot. And what the hell are you on about egg on your face , debating you was a waste of time. When I said we should blow up London Underground in order to rebuild it without your much hated third worlders (since they're a bane to the English/England according to you) you're the one who made a bigoted "sweeping generalization" that Muslim already/will do that. So maybe you should get real and get your white supremacist trash sorted.

ReputationRep:
    It's not an issue of colour. The Scottish aren't English, the Welsh aren't English, the Gauls aren't English. If someone is born in England, and acts as such ('as such' meaning the British way of life) they are Black, Asian etc. British. That's partly like denying the Kurds an identity on the grounds that they're not officially recognised as a nation.
    Why would they not be just plain English? I understand perfectly well that Scottish people aren't English. If a boy was born to Chinese parents in Scotland, and brought up with the Scottish culture, I think they are Scottish. That's their national identity. National identity and racial identity don't need to be mixed at all.

ReputationRep:
    Why would they not be just plain English? I understand perfectly well that Scottish people aren't English. If a boy was born to Chinese parents in Scotland, and brought up with the Scottish culture, I think they are Scottish. That's their national identity. National identity and racial identity don't need to be mixed at all.
    That wouldn't be their national identity because Scotland is not a nation. It's a constituent country of the United Kingdom.

ReputationRep:
    you are a racist or at least a bigot. And what the hell are you on about egg on your face , debating you was a waste of time. When I said we should blow up London Underground in order to rebuild it without your much hated third worlders (since they're a bane to the English/England according to you) you're the one who made a bigoted "sweeping generalization" that Muslim already/will do that. So maybe you should get real and get your white supremacist trash sorted.
    First, Muslims are not a race, they are a religion. Second, I am not a white supremacist, or a racist, or a bigot. Plus, I really doubt you're in the right position to make such ridiculous accusations with all those little red gems. :giggle:

ReputationRep:
    British isn't specific enough. I understand that generally the rule with some people is whites are english, non-whites aren't. However if i meet a black guy from scotland and i'm relating this to someone, saying he was black british doesn't really cut it when he has a scottish accent.

Like the other poster said anyway, how is someone who was born and brought up in England but non white calling themselves English (especially inside the UK) denying you an identity? Is your history any less real?

ReputationRep:
    First, Muslims are not a race, they are a religion. Second, I am not a white supremacist, or a racist, or a bigot. Plus, I really doubt you're in the right position to make such ridiculous accusations with all those little red gems. :giggle:
    I said that the statement you said about Muslims was bigoted not racist.

You are a white supremacist, obviously you have an issue with people from the third world particularly Africans which makes you come across as a racist.

Lastly, it's funny how everyone on here is a rep whore :rolleyes: . You say that philosophy is a useless degree and you get a billion negs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    British isn't specific enough. I understand that generally the rule with some people is whites are english, non-whites aren't. However if i meet a black guy from scotland and i'm relating this to someone, saying he was black british doesn't really cut it when he has a scottish accent.

Like the other poster said anyway, how is someone who was born and brought up in England but non white calling themselves English (especially inside the UK) denying you an identity? Is your history any less real?
    It's not denying me a personal identity. But every ethnicity has a right to legally exist! If you call a black Briton an Englishman when they're not ethnically English then what exactly are the English as an ethnicity?

ReputationRep:
    It's not denying me a personal identity. But every ethnicity has a right to legally exist! If you call a black Briton an Englishman when they're not ethnically English then what exactly are the English as an ethnicity?
    Generally when talking about ethnicity, it would probably be more appropriate to refer to white anglo saxon or celtic, rather than English. I suppose it could be argued that by using English you are denying ethnically celtic people or anglo saxon people their ethnicity, as both have been present in England.

ReputationRep:
    I was merely remarking upon the actions of certian religious extremists; hardly bigoted. The only cases where I've shown certain other hostilities towards Islam is (a) when their scripture limits their integration into Western society, and (b) when fundamentalism permeates - or has the potential to permeate - particular communities.

You are a white supremacist, obviously you have an issue with people from the third world particularly Africans which makes you come across as a racist.
    Having concerns about Third World immigration doesn't make me either a white supremacist or a racist. If '89' really is your year of birth, you seriously need to grow up.

ReputationRep:
    That's rich coming from a person who considers homosexuals practically subhuman.

Practice what you preach.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.