Turn on thread page Beta

Any ethnic minorites feel quite hurt by some of the threads posted on here? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George231086)
    Generally when talking about ethnicity, it would probably be more appropriate to refer to white anglo saxon or celtic, rather than English. I suppose it could be argued that by using English you are denying ethnically celtic people or anglo saxon people their ethnicity, as both have been present in England.
    The Scots, Welsh and Irish were never Celts. That is an obsolete myth, dispelled by various biologists/geneticists and relayed best by Stephen Oppenheimer in his book The Origins of the British (2006). They originated from the Basque region in the North of the Iberian peninsula and migrated to Britain over the ice sheets. Considering that today's white British population shows similar genetic qualities to the oldest of skeletons, the idea that Britain is a "mongrel nation" (to quote Daniel Defoe) is disproven. The traditional myth is that the Anglo-Saxons displaced the "Celts" whereas, in fact, they only ultimately made up a mere 5% of the gene pool (of course, their cultural effect cannot be disputed). The other 95% were Scots, Welsh and Irish - from the Basque region - and the English (who, with Iberians being dominant, had a heterogeneity with the presence of original migrants from North-West Europe before Iberian settlement). These have now significantly diluted the Anglo-Saxon presence in the gene pool to something very miniscule indeed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    You're not English. You're British. There's a distinction, sorry.
    This.

OP; I'm pretty sure people of of all ethnic backgrounds (incl. the white ones) feel targetted at times too. You may only really pick up on it when you feel victimised. I'm not from England, so I can't relate so much, but I do go to a university which happens to consist mainly of Asian (usually meaning east Asia over here) students. It can be a bit daunting at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    I was merely remarking upon the actions of certian religious extremists; hardly bigoted. The only cases where I've shown certain other hostilities towards Islam is (a) when their scripture limits their integration into Western society, and (b) when fundamentalism permeates - or has the potential to permeate - particular communities
    That had nothing to do with what we're discussing, I said we should blow up the London Underground because evidently you didn't like third world workers and you then you decided to talk about Muslims. So your bigoted views connoted the blowing up of London underground with Muslims.

Having concerns about Third World immigration doesn't make me either a white supremacist or a racist. If '89' really is your year of birth, you seriously need to grow up.
    No I think you need to grow up. If those same immigrants were blue eyed blonde haired Western Europeans I bet you won't be complaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Your bigoted views
    Irony.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaniqua)
    That's rich coming from a person who considers homosexuals practically subhuman.

Practice what you preach.
    Wtf, where did I say they were subhuman?

ReputationRep:
    Irony.
    what the hell are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    No I think you need to grow up. If those same immigrants were blue eyed blonde haired Western Europeans I bet you won't be complaining.
    An arbitrary statement.

ReputationRep:
    Wtf, where did I say they were subhuman?
    That's certainly the mentality you have displayed in previous posts.

Either way, I would hardly call you a beacon of tolerance, thus it is laughable that you have decided to take the moral high ground in this situation and call out NB's apparent bigotry.

ReputationRep:
    The Scots, Welsh and Irish were never Celts. That is an obsolete myth, dispelled by various biologists/geneticists and relayed best by Stephen Oppenheimer in his book The Origins of the British (2006). They originated from the Basque region in the North of the Iberian peninsula and migrated to Britain over the ice sheets. Considering that today's white British population shows similar genetic qualities to the oldest of skeletons, the idea that Britain is a "mongrel nation" (to quote Daniel Defoe) is disproven. The traditional myth is that the Anglo-Saxons displaced the "Celts" whereas, in fact, they only ultimately made up a mere 5% of the gene pool (of course, their cultural effect cannot be disputed). The other 95% were Scots, Welsh and Irish - from the Basque region - and the English (who, with Iberians being dominant, had a heterogeneity with the presence of original migrants from North-West Europe before Iberian settlement). These have now significantly diluted the Anglo-Saxon presence in the gene pool to something very miniscule indeed.

So in that case a scot is ethnically the same as a welsh person, so how can one use the term scot to identify an ethnic group? Surely we are identifying a cultural group. Similarly the "English" isn't an ethnic group then, the ethnic group would be Iberian.

ReputationRep:
    Right... :rolleyes: no-one mentioned this nonsense, except you.

ReputationRep:
    That's certainly the mentality you have displayed in previous posts.

Either way, I would hardly call you a beacon of tolerance, thus it is laughable that you have decided to take the moral high ground in this situation and call out NB's apparent bigotry.
    yeah well you need to spend a little less time stalking my username on TSR sweetheart. I never once said that homosexuals are subhuman.

What's laughable is I wasn't trying to take any moral high ground, I simply reiterated what "NB" said.

ReputationRep:
    yeah well you need to spend a little less time stalking my username on TSR sweetheart. I never once said that homosexuals are subhuman.
    Why do I need to 'stalk' your username, when almost every thread regarding homosexuality or some other group you happen to disagree with is brimming with ignorance, intolerance and juvenile, playground insults - all emanating from your very username.

If you engaged your brain and read my post correctly, it was clearly an analysis of how you consider homosexuals, rooted in the extraordinary homophobia you vehemently spout on these forums.

What's laughable is I wasn't trying to take any moral high ground, I simply reiterated what "NB" said.
    Calling out another person's apparent bigotry and heckling their statements as 'bigoted' is taking the moral high ground (unless you wish to portray yourself as a hypocrite), and it is shockingly ironic, considering you are the polar opposite of a paragon of tolerance.

ReputationRep:
    Why do I need to 'stalk' your username, when almost every thread regarding homosexuality or some other group you happen to disagree with is brimming with ignorance, intolerance and juvenile, playground insults - all emanating from your very username.

If you engaged your brain and read my post correctly, it was clearly an analysis of how you consider homosexuals, rooted in the extraordinary homophobia you vehemently spout on these forums.
    Well I guess you're misinformed, if ever I comment on a thread related to homosexuality, I bring a concise argument. The other day there was thread on homosexuality, and I brought up the issue of the California proposition 8 that banned homosexual marriage which was supported by the majority of the most liberal state in America. If I ever apposed homosexuality it was due to my catholic faith no due to any supremacy I feel above them something "NB" doesn't relate with.

Secondly I have no phobia of homosexuals, I never espoused that I want to do any physical harm to them. All disagreement related to the issue should be dealt with legally democratically.

Calling out another person's apparent bigotry and heckling their statements as 'bigoted' is taking the moral high ground, and it is shockingly ironic, considering you are the polar opposite of a paragon of tolerance.
    No but this a totally different issue from homosexuality. Ethnic minorities cannot change who they are but as a Catholic I do not believe that this is the same with homosexuality (I don't want to get into this argument of nature versus nurture.) If I come across as hypocritical that's not my intention I merely relating to a different issue. How is it making homosexuals appear as sub human if you appose the issue of marriage? Marriage is a religious ceremony? why would homosexuals want to go down that route when religion apposed their lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    C'mon, this is a ****** up place with some ****** up individuals.
    Don't take anything said here seriously. Not even this.

ReputationRep:
    Mixed Spanish and Sri Lankan here.

Necessarily Benevolent comes across as a conceited tit who doesn't seem to grasp the inherent ambiguity of language. How is "English" any different to the term "British" in itself? Is a man born to Algerian parents in France by that logic not classifiable as "French"? Were England an independent country in its own right, his definition would fall apart.
    If you're going to argue from that standpoint, at least be specific. "Ethnically English" is perhaps somewhat closer to the mark- although even then, I'd argue that the distinction's irrelevant for all intents and purposes bar fabricating arbitrary categories in which to pigeonhole humanity.

"Culturally British" would be a label I'd agree with.

As far as the rest of this place's threads go, I couldn't care less. *shrugs*

People are entitled to their opinions. They're wrong, of course- but refuting anybody with that level of viewpoint descends into ad hominems and shaky dogma faster than Nick Griffin slinks away from UAF Protests. Shrug off any threads that hurt you- there's far worse out in the real world. What does it matter if a few sanctimonious tosspots on the internet worry you? Grow a thicker skin.

ReputationRep:
    That wouldn't be their national identity because Scotland is not a nation. It's a constituent country of the United Kingdom.
    Are you seriously suggesting that Scotland isn't a nation? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Scotland has it's own parliament, it makes it's own laws, if this isn't the act of an independent nation then I don't know what is.

Scotland is a nation first and then part of the UK second. The same goes for Wales and Northern Ireland. It's like suggesting that Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden aren't nations because they are part of Scandinavia.

Also in answer to the OP, what would class as an ethnic minority? Here in Redbridge I'm an ethnic minority despite being white. My school is mainly Asian and the same goes for the area.

This is my view on race, if you are born in a country then I don't care what else you are, you take that nationality. I'm English and Irish but because I was born and raised in England, I am English.

If we do the whole percentage game then E.g. Indians that come over here and give birth are 100% Indian but their child is 50% English and 50% Indian they are English Asian not British Asian. England is the nation and so you don't take the whole region.

I am ENGLISH not British.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Scotland is a nation first and then part of the UK second. The same goes for Wales and Northern Ireland. It's like suggesting that Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden aren't nations because they are part of Scandinavia.
    Finland technically isn't part of Scandinavia:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver)
    Finland technically isn't part of Scandinavia:yes:
    Seriously? Oh damn, I've been getting A* in Geography for a while as well and will probably get one on results day.

I feel silly thanks though, I have learnt something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    Seriously? Oh damn, I've been getting A* in Geography for a while as well and will probably get one on results day.

I feel sily thanks though, I have learnt something.
    Oh, wasn't trying to make you feel silly lol. I had no idea of this until I actually spoke to someone from Finland anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reaver)
    Oh, wasn't trying to make you feel silly lol. I had no idea of this until I actually spoke to someone from Finland anyway.
    Nah, I don't mind because I have learnt something new.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.