Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any ethnic minorites feel quite hurt by some of the threads posted on here? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Well I guess you're misinformed, if ever I comment on a thread related to homosexuality, I bring a concise argument. The other day there was thread on homosexuality, and I brought up the issue of the California proposition 8 that banned homosexual marriage which was supported by the majority of the most liberal state in America. If I ever apposed homosexuality it was due to my catholic faith no due to any supremacy I feel above them something "NB" doesn't relate with.
    Two extremely 'concise' arguments from you:

gay's aren't wired properly, they need to get fixed.
    homosexuality is evil
    'Concise' being a euphemism for homophobic, obviously.

Secondly I have no phobia of homosexuals, I never espoused that I want to do any physical harm to them.
    Not wanting to do physical harm upon homosexuals certainly isn't the sole pillar of homophobia.

(Original post by Diaz89)
    As a Catholic
    How curious. I would never have categorised you under the banner of the Catholic faith, considering the intense vulgarity and offensiveness within most of your posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    You can't be English without being ethnically English. Ethnic minorities are "black" or "Asian" (or whatever else) Britons.
    you know ive never liked that ethnic pairing off you get - why does it have to be white british or black british.

the one that really gets me

white british
    white irish
    white other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    It's not the same thing.

To be English is a racial thing, it's your blood. You have to be White, Anglo-Saxon...

To be British is anyone born in this country/raised/acquires citizenship etc... but it's not an ethnicity like English is (I know English isn't an ethnicity/race as such, I can't remember the word).

You can be black British, Asian british... but not Black English or Asian English or whatever.
    Yeah you can if one of your parents are english :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    You're not English. You're British. There's a distinction, sorry.
    I'm mixed race: half Jamaican, half Irish and born and raised in England. I identify as English, never British. As far as I'm concerned I was born here and have lived here my whole life therefore I'm entitled to call myself this nationality. I was not born in four different countries and do not identify with Welsh, Scottish or Irish people so why would I call myself British? Even if I don't have pure "English" blood or an English parent?

I mean sure, if someone asks me "what are you?" I'll say mixed race because I know what they're asking for but I'm not going to call myself a "mixed race briton"

And to the OP - yes those threads are irritating but you have to bear in mind that the kind of people who post those threads are narrow-minded, prejudiced, unintelligent imbeciles. Don't take any notice of them

and I do the whole counting thing too! I was the only coloured person in 3 out of 4 of my college classes, and there was one Indian guy in the other one. So you can get an idea of the "diversity" where I live right now lol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    I'm mixed race: half Jamaican, half Irish and born and raised in England. I identify as English, never British. As far as I'm concerned I was born here and have lived here my whole life therefore I'm entitled to call myself this nationality. I was not born in four different countries and do not identify with Welsh, Scottish or Irish people so why would I call myself British? Even if I don't have pure "English" blood or an English parent?

I mean sure, if someone asks me "what are you?" I'll say mixed race because I know what they're asking for but I'm not going to call myself a "mixed race briton"

And to the OP - yes those threads are irritating but you have to bear in mind that the kind of people who post those threads are narrow-minded, prejudiced, unintelligent imbeciles. Don't take any notice of them

and I do the whole counting thing too! I was the only coloured person in 3 out of 4 of my college classes, and there was one Indian guy in the other one. So you can get an idea of the "diversity" where I live right now lol :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Windsprite)
    Yeah you can if one of your parents are english :rolleyes:
    Fair enough, do as you like. But I'm half English/half Palestinian myself, and never really felt I could say I was English. :dontknow:

Nope - not at all

ReputationRep:

just wanted to say you're very pretty
    <3 your hair! wish mine was that full :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Not particularly. I've put up with a lot of racism in real life so anything on the internet is much easier to :rolleyes: at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I normally wouldn't post a thread about races on here, since there's so many of them and people get fed up.

But do any ethnic minorities feel a bit targeted when people make threads about non-white people "belonging in their own country"? To me, I'm English. I'm Indian by race, but I've been born and brought up in England, and my values and customs aren't very "Indian-like", but more "English-like".

In school/college/Uni I always counted the number of ethnic minority people in the class and feel a bit "different" and threatened because of it.

Does anyone feel quite hurt when threads like those are posted?

I know, I know, it's just the internet. But I post on here regularly and to see quite a lot of white people who agree with the white supremacy sentiments upsets me a little. It makes me wonder if random people I know in real life in my classes/around my Uni who I know feel the same way.

You're 'civically' English/British; you have exactly the same rights as me/should be treated equally/given the same oppertunities/the right to vote and everything else which goes along with being British. But you must accept that you're not ethnically English, but Indian.

In the same way that if I was born in Japan to my Mam and Dad, I would never be considered ethnically Japanese, or if I was born in Africa I could never be ethnically African. To assume that anybody, from any race, can be considered through and through ethnically British (Or North-Western European or whatever) by just be being born here is do deny the natives of this part of the world any identity at all.

No I don't feel hurt although I suppose I can understand why you would but the thing is it's just the internet and people do have those views in real life so you just have to realise and accept that people will always have different views to yours and you should always try to ignore them otherwise you'll end up hurt and offended by every and anything.

ReputationRep:

move to birmingham, you'll feel better

ReputationRep:
    you read. you argue. you win.
    then tell them to **** themselves
    after all, it's only the internet

ReputationRep:
    Nein - TSR is not representative of the general population. That's not to say these views don't exist away from the computer (because they most certainly do!), but many of these people would never articulate them away from the computer tbh. I disagree with certain people's views (racist or otherwise), and they disagree with mine - that's life :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaniqua)
    Two extremely 'concise' arguments from you:
    ahaha i told you were stalking me.... first of all, I was only pissing off the other posters when I said that. Secondly I can't be against the views of "NB" then have homophobic views as you say. I have no phobia of homosexuals I disagree with their lifestyle. Unlike ethnic minorties they can change who they are.

Not wanting to do physical harm upon homosexuals certainly isn't the sole pillar of homophobia.
    No...... as I said before, If you disagree with the lifestyle of homosexuals it doesn't make you homophobic.

How curious. I would never have categorised you under the banner of the Catholic faith, considering the intense vulgarity and offensiveness within most of your posts.
    how curious I would've categorized you as that buffoon who keeps making new accounts one being regina george for example and follows me across TSR.........,

ReputationRep:
    Nah lol, i couldn't care less.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, TSR is the new stormfront.

Anyway, its just a few people on this forum like Kickflip that show obvious signs of racism. However, NB is questionable. I think NB just likes to argue alot.

ReputationRep:
    These people are just ignorant pricks, no point taking any notice of them.

ReputationRep:
    I find them funny.

ReputationRep:
    Not bothered to be honest, they are just sad bunches of nerds who haven't got the guts to say it in front of people in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes, but then I realise it's just the internet. :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.