Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Any ethnic minorites feel quite hurt by some of the threads posted on here? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Fair enough, do as you like. But I'm half English/half Palestinian myself, and never really felt I could say I was English. :dontknow:
    Well neither of my parents are English but I feel I can, I wasn't raised in Jamaica or Ireland so whilst I identify as mixed by race, I call myself English by nationality, meh each to their own I suppose.

(Original post by Windsprite)
    just wanted to say you're very pretty
    <3 your hair! wish mine was that full :sigh:
    Aw thanks Although believe me, you don't want my hair lol it's hell. Especially on a hot day, it acts like insulation and suffocates me

Actually I need to change that photo.. it's really old and i've had a haircut since then...

ReputationRep:
    But we live in a predomoinantly "white" country?

So surely the white people are only being considerate by being tolerant of asian people, but they arent obliged to do so.

(Original post by Nutta!)
    But we live in a predomoinantly "white" country?

So surely the white people are only being considerate by being tolerant of asian people, but they arent obliged to do so.
    Considerate???? Asians were tolerant for over 300 years when the 'English/White' ruled India.... Pay back time

ReputationRep:
    I'd say there are more Asian people on TSR than White one's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Considerate???? Asians were tolerant for over 300 years when the 'English/White' ruled India.... Pay back time
    What, by blowing up a few buses? Good plan Batman.

ReputationRep:
    ENGLISH is a RACE
    you are BRITISH, NOT ENGLISH!!! your RACE is INDIAN.
    gods sake

(Original post by Nick_000)
    I'd say there are more Asian people on TSR than White one's.
    :lolwut: well previous race/ethnicity threads have proved otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    ENGLISH is a RACE
    gods sake
    Caucasians are one example of racial group.

English is an ethnic group , we live with the Scots , Welsh and Northern Irish much like how Serbs , Croats and Bosnians used to live under the Yugoslavian republic.

Thought I'd point that out to you.

To be honest I'm not terribly surprised that some individuals would decide behind their monitors they can use TSR as a soapbox for their offensive views , and it's only good and fair that those doing such get shot down for it.

ReputationRep:
    ENGLISH is a RACE
    gods sake
    Wrong. English is an ethinicity. Race is black, white, oriental, asian etc. You can be black by race but call yourself English. Race generally just refers to the colour of your skin or the main racial group you belong to.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is a ****
    Everyone is a ****
    Everyone is a ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temptationsu)
    I do agree there is racism in Ilford but not any in Redbridge, well I haven't heard any stories.

Any way chin up lad.
    I think you confused this, not Redbridge as in the area but the borough of Redbridge.

ReputationRep:
    yes sometimes i feel upset because, yes people are intitled to their own opinions but i sometimes feel people i meet in real life don't like me because they are a bit white supremacist. Thats what I find most upsetting, thinking the people who make the racist comments are people I could meet in everyday life but I won't know that how they thinka nd feel...its a bit of a paranoid thought but somtiems it upsets me wen i go out and think that guy or that girl could be thinkin the kind of things people post on here, i just get sick of it

ReputationRep:
    ENGLISH is a RACE
    gods sake
    No English is a nationality, caucasian is a race. Why are you so offended by a none white person considering themselves English. Its like saying Americans shouldn't consider themselves Americans since there is a ridiculously small percentage of native americans left in a america, same with aboriginals in Australia. Would you tell an Australian who was born in Australia, lives in Australia and lives Australian culture to not consider themselves Australian if they're not aboriginal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    a) I don't need to cite it, it's a fact. That's like asking me to cite that the sky is blue, and if you read down you'll see several people concurred with me.
    b) The whole, if you're a halfy are you English is an argument I cba to get into. I guess it's up to you what you call yourself, I'm a halfy and I don't call myself English but I guess it's up to you.

The fact is though that British is not the same as English.
    Well, no, I totally agree that England is different from Britain. Britain=includes Scotland and Wales. Just as the UK throws Northern Ireland into the mix. But even though I think of myself as mixed-race, i could never identify with Welsh or Scottish blood.
    Also, asking to cite that the sky is blue would just mean you have to find a couple people who say it's blue. On the other hand, while people seemed to accept what you said, mos didn't know that was so.
    I just don't understand. Being English cannot be an ethnicity. Being Caucasian or Aryan or Anglo-Saxon is.

ReputationRep:
    How can someone call themselves English if they don't have English blood? You're british, raised in britain - not English.

ReputationRep:
    We are a small island with 60 million people, unknown amounts of illegal immigrants, no jobs, limited uni places. If you don't think there will be hostility you are frankly naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james_dow)
    move to birmingham, you'll feel better
    Birmingaham is a backwards city. It's all about London towaaan!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by temptationsu)
    Any way chin up lad.
    I'd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    How can someone call themselves English if they don't have English blood? You're british, raised in britain - not English.
    I was born in England. I was not raised in Britain. I have never lived in Scotland, Wales or Ireland so how on earth can I have been "raised in Britain"? Sure, we might be joined by a flag but we are all considered separate countries, I mean, when do you ever see a Scottish person calling themselves English? Or British for that matter. Primarily, British is a term used in passports, when you ask person where they're from, they won't say Britain, they'll say they're English or Irish or Welsh - you get the idea.
    I might not have "English blood" but last I checked, England was a country, not a race.

...This is starting to get repetitive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beige_Angel)
    I was born in England. I was not raised in Britain. I have never lived in Scotland, Wales or Ireland so how on earth can I have been "raised in Britain"? Sure, we might be joined by a flag but we are all considered separate countries, I mean, when do you ever see a Scottish person calling themselves English? Or British for that matter. Primarily, British is a term used in passports, when you ask person where they're from, they won't say Britain, they'll say they're English or Irish or Welsh - you get the idea.
    I might not have "English blood" but last I checked, England was a country, not a race.

...This is starting to get repetitive.
    So you have an English passport, not a British passport?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.