Turn on thread page Beta

Thanatophobia - Fear of Death watch

ReputationRep:
    Help Please!
    I think I have mild Thanatophobia. I fear death...excessively!

I can understand people thinking something along the lines of "Yeah but no one wants to die" or "Most people are afraid to die". But Im not sure Its to this extent.

I tend to find Im ok during day time or when Im around someone else to keep my mind off it. But especially during night time I'm unable to stop myself thinking what death is like. (This happens every night). I get sick, I loose focus in my vision and i go dizzy and light headed. There have been times I have almost passed out because of it. I just get so afraid of the prospect that I'll never come back. Ill never love again, never listen to my music again. Never see again. Never feel my own existence again.

(Oh Im sorry I should convey my apologies here if you're religious and have other views on the afterlife)

But Its really affecting my life! I feel I cant live it to the full! I've considered following a faith or religion that believes in an afterlife because I felt that if i was around a belief so much, i could convince myself that i would go on after death (and so i wouldnt be so afraid of it)...but thats has turned out rather unsuccessful. I cant convince myself to believe.

Im suffereing insomnia because of this
    TSR...HELP ME PLEASE!

ReputationRep:
    You sound exactly like me.

The key is constant distraction, don't ever allow yourself time to think.

Of course, this has a negative effect on everything you do, but ah well.

ReputationRep:
    You needn't worry about causing any offence. In all honesty, I would recommend the old fashioned method:

:doctor:

With regards to religion- convince yourself to believe? Which one? If you choose wrongly, you presumably end up at square one, and there have been thousands and thousands of religions. Just think, the 'right one'- assuming, on an extreme off chance, that any of them are true- may not have even been invented. We spend such time hypothesising on death that we forget to live.I, for one, will be happy to go if my life has left people happier then they were before. The best thing you can do, though, is seek some real help. The best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's not right.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think its important enough for me to see a doctor?

ReputationRep:
    If it's affecting you that badly, quite definitely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SparkyInLove)
    Do you think its important enough for me to see a doctor?
    It's affecting the way you live your life. Of course.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at reincarnation? You don't have to belong to a certain religion or believe in any God to believe in it - you die and are born straight away into you again; you keep on living forever!

Also, if you enjoy reading, I find escapism always helps when reality becomes too daunting : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden-flower)
    Have you looked at reincarnation? You don't have to belong to a certain religion or believe in any God to believe in it - you die and are born straight away into you again; you keep on living forever!
    Would be totally sweet, if it actually worked out like this.

OP you should go see a doctor for sure, but it's still not that uncommon to dwell on death.

ReputationRep:
    You have just described me. :eek: I don't think about it much in the daytime either, but at night I can't stop thinking about the concept of forever...never existing again. I get the sickness and panic attacks too.

I've found it helps to rwad books about the afterlife, ones I've liked are by Tony Stockwell and Mia Dolan. However the most effective thing is just to try and distract yourself, like try to fall asleep watching tv.

ReputationRep:
    ok.
    Death is something which many people fear. It is understandable too- because as humans I feel that we have a fear of the unknown. We are all so sure of our scientific discoveries as we have actual proof of what they are and how they happen and why they happen etc... but death is an unknown, therefore frightening to us. How do you know that there is nothing after death? The truth is you dont'. Why spend your time worrying about something which happens to everyone at one point or another. In worrying about death you are wasting your life!! The only certainty in life is that you are going to die. I'm sorry to hear that you have this phobia, and I know its scary to think about- I've felt a bit overwhelmed sometimes- particularly when someone close to me has died. But making youself ill over something that is perfectly natural is not good.

Please try and relax, or get some help we are not experts on TSR, but other people out there are.

Good luck
    xx

ReputationRep:
    Just think of it as a very very...very long sleep.

ReputationRep:
    Death is inevitable; it is futile to fear it.
    Just think how lonely it would be remaining alive on Earth while all those you loved had gone.

This is slightly morbid ...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.