Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Psychology BA...or should I wait till I've got more science subjects? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok, this has probably been asked a trillion billion times, and you're probably sick fed-up reading it.

Buttttt, due to the subject circumstances, I'm doing Arts & Humanities Highers (a-levels) at college, which are English, biology, psychology, history...

I'd love to do Psychology Bsc, but I doubt I'd get in with only one science :nope: I could probably do Higher Chemistry, Maths & Physics as additional Highers next year, and then even go in for Bio-medicine...would you recommend just doing the subjects I can this year & not applying for university until next year when I'm doing all science subjects, and I could maybe even do a science degree?

I'm very indecisive :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you email University Admissions offices and ask whether there's any point in applying now? Do the courses explicitly require two sciences?
    For instance SPS at Cambridge has no subject specific requirements (only grade requirements) so you could go into Psychology that way without doing any A level science at all! Just do your research before you panic :p:

ReputationRep:
    BA and BSc psych have very little difference, if any!!
    Seriously, at Bangor you can apply for BSc or BA... and we all have the same lectures, do the same modules, get the choice of the same modules.
    Many unis will take you on with out anything sciencey. There are normally a few GCSE grades you need such as maths but thats it.

Im going Psychology BSc and my A level were Psych, Bio, English lit (and critical thinking). I got offers from all my 5 unis with this subjects, all Psychology BScs and my unis included places like Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Gah, I wish I could go to an english uni But since I'm in scotland, there's no hope of that lol

I've actually just decidied to do English, Bio, Psyc, History this year, then next year when I'm doing chem, maths & physics, ill apply for a more sciency degree and hopefully get a conditional lol

ReputationRep:
    You can get on a course with one science. But since you're doing biology and psychology that counts as two sciences, which is fine. I suppose the best way is to ask them, but some unis say they have no preference at all on the subjects.The only thing is though that if you take a BA over a BSc becoming a psychologist could possibly be longer because you may need to do a conversion course. But if you aren't aiming to be a psychologist then it doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    I remember looking at the St. Andrews courses. They psychology stuff you did were the same, but other subjects you did in the first year or two depending on if you were MA or BSc.
    Plus, i think you would be suprised how far the bio and psych will get you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LuhLah)
    Ok, this has probably been asked a trillion billion times, and you're probably sick fed-up reading it.

Buttttt, due to the subject circumstances, I'm doing Arts & Humanities Highers (a-levels) at college, which are English, biology, psychology, history...

I'd love to do Psychology Bsc, but I doubt I'd get in with only one science :nope: I could probably do Higher Chemistry, Maths & Physics as additional Highers next year, and then even go in for Bio-medicine...would you recommend just doing the subjects I can this year & not applying for university until next year when I'm doing all science subjects, and I could maybe even do a science degree?

I'm very indecisive :woo:
    You'll be fine. Honest You don't need chemistry to do a psychology degree. I just hope you applied early as there are so many applicants to the subject. But your subjects are 100% okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BritPakistaniMuslimah)
    You'll be fine. Honest You don't need chemistry to do a psychology degree. I just hope you applied early as there are so many applicants to the subject. But your subjects are 100% okay
    Judging by the OP's profile it seems they decided to apply for chemistry instead of psychology in the end.

The thread is a bit old

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.