Turn on thread page Beta

Friend may be coming to work with me (and I dont want her to) watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok so our work has a temp recruitment to ddeal with the summer rush, ok and I gave a form to my friend and she has an interview. Im starting to regret it because at work im more popular than she knows me as. My issue is three things that its my place, she might expect me to drop all my work friends and talk to her and I act different in work and this might cause me to reset to how I was.

Am I being selfish/ mental?

ReputationRep:
    and a point I forgot, afew chances exist so there is a chance I may become her boss if I get a promotion (I might) and she joins my work group.

ReputationRep:
    I understand your concerns but I'm sure it'll be less terrible than you expect. Talk to your friend about your concerns; it's likely you're both on the same level more than you thought.
    I'm in the same position at the moment - I've been in my career for a mere three months, where our team of three has just become two. In response, my friend and I have been given a minor promotion and two new roles had opened up. My best friend has been very stressed lately, in need of a full-time job, so I told him about it and he starts work the Tuesday after next, with a one in two chance of me being his manager.
    Obviously I'm nervous about dynamics - him cutting into my current work situation and altering it, but I've voiced my concerns and it seems his are essentially the same - we're both approaching it maturely and we'll be able to deal with any concerns. I made a sacrifice offering this job to him, but I don't think I'll see it like that next week - it's just one more work-friend to add to the list!

ReputationRep:
    OP ive been in your position (or soon to be position) when a friend becomes a subordinate. Depending on the person they can take the mick - using your friendship as a shield to get away with thing they ordinarily shouldnt.

you need to make sure she knows that at work it is a professional enviroment and you wont play favourites

ReputationRep:
    kill her before the interview...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I understand your concerns but I'm sure it'll be less terrible than you expect. Talk to your friend about your concerns; it's likely you're both on the same level more than you thought.
    I'm in the same position at the moment - I've been in my career for a mere three months, where our team of three has just become two. In response, my friend and I have been given a minor promotion and two new roles had opened up. My best friend has been very stressed lately, in need of a full-time job, so I told him about it and he starts work the Tuesday after next, with a one in two chance of me being his manager.
    Obviously I'm nervous about dynamics - him cutting into my current work situation and altering it, but I've voiced my concerns and it seems his are essentially the same - we're both approaching it maturely and we'll be able to deal with any concerns. I made a sacrifice offering this job to him, but I don't think I'll see it like that next week - it's just one more work-friend to add to the list!
    I dont think she will understand this

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.