Turn on thread page Beta

HELP: Cant decide university course watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

I have a big dilemma on my hands
    would be grateful if u can consider my situation and offer any sort of advice.

im a year 12 student going into yr 13 doing subjects:
    Maths (hopefull hav attained A* this June)
    F.Maths (predicted A/A*)
    Economics (predicted A/A*)
    Psychology (predicted A)

well i'll put things into perspective. me and my dad are arguing about which university course to choose.
    there are 3 courses im considering:

Accounting and Finance
    Econ (or maybe Econ and Maths)
    Computer Science

In my dads view, Accounting +F or Econ are the only two options hes even willing to go thru with me coz his argument is that in my country (Bahrain) job prospects for those with a degree in this field is much better than comp sci. and he says that im more likely to get a CEO position, which he is ultimately aiming for, with a degree in this field.
    my dad is a banker btw. and i see his view is perfectly true BUT

in my view, i would like to take comp sci coz of 2 reasons:
    1- It is the thing i enjoy most and spend spare time doing
    2- The unis i want to go to are all London unis which provide this course but not all of them provide the other 2 courses (eg. UCL, KCL, Imperial)

so thing is im stuck here my dad isnt allowing me to discuss comp sci with him. hes basically made up his mind. i mean i find Accountign and Econ ok but i would like to have the option of choosing what i want rather than being restricted from the start.
    i guess i can see this positively as he hasnt argued about which unis i choose (yet), but i really dont know wat to do

tks and any advice??

ReputationRep:
    It's your life, not your dad's. Chose what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sour_Cherry)
    It's your life, not your dad's. Chose what you want to do.
    ya but hes the one whos goin 2 send me abroad and paying for me and hes being stubborn

ReputationRep:
    i think it will be a good idea to find out as much comp sci as possible. doing it as a hobby is different as taking it as a uni course. it will then be your profession for at least 3 years, or probably your whole life. it might change from something fascinating into something you dread.

while the other two subj are not as technical as comp sci, so i presume its gonna be less dry.

but of course you can be genuinely passionate towards comp sci, which will then be the perfect course.

remember, every field produces billionaire, it depends on your ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hussain92)
    ya but hes the one whos goin 2 send me abroad and paying for me and hes being stubborn
    but what is the point of doing something that he wants to do instead of something that you want to do? Your not going to enjoy it as much because you will be thinking about the course that you want to do, and your more likely to succeed if you are passionate about it. But that's
    just my opinion

Seriously, this is 4 years of your life and then you'll be going to go into a career for the whole of your life. Will you be happy as a CEO? I wouldn't. You have to be careful and clear-sighted, your life is at state.

ReputationRep:
    Can't get an A* at AS matey.

Only next year.

ReputationRep:
    yes
    but as i said hes stubborn
    how do u think i can convince him
    ive explained these reasons to him but hes jus being uhh...

ReputationRep:
    Do a joint Maths and CompSci degree. Much more respected than Accounting and Finance. To become an accountant you don't even need a degree.

While doing maths, depending on which uni you go to, you could choose to do some finance maths modules. G programmers earn a lot these days and it proves you are a logical thinker.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Firstly, understand it's your life and your three years. If you do something you don't enjoy, then you won't be happy, and ultimately, you won't do well, so say goodbye to any top CEO job.

With regards to computer science, how much do you actually know about it at university-level? Same for Accounting & Finance, and same for Economics.

I at one point considered Computer Science. Heck, pretty much everyone I knew somewhat expected me to do that due to my interest in computers, programming, websites, etc., but I thought long and hard about what I wanted to do with my life and what I wanted my job to be (or didn't want it to be about) and then realised that Computer Science wasn't for me.

After I seriously considered Mathematics, or Mathematics and/with Statistics. But, after seriously considering the course and the content over the three/four years, I decided that wasn't for me either.

In the end I chose Economics, mainly as a compromise between all my interests, and also because it opens many doors. That said, Economics isn't for everyone, and many people find it very dry and boring - I'm lucky in that I find it immensely interesting!

I think you should really think long and hard about what you want to do with your life, while at university, and after. Is Computer Science really for you?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    yes
    but as i said hes stubborn
    how do u think i can convince him
    ive explained these reasons to him but hes jus being uhh...
    Maybe show him that you can actually get a decent and well-paid job after graduating?

http://www.southampton.ac.uk/careers...sjul08/ECS.pdf
    http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/careers/...Technology.php
    http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/c...ience_0607.pdf
    http://www.as.bham.ac.uk/study/suppo...psci2007.shtml
    http://www.bath.ac.uk/careers/destin.../computing.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Geology.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Geology.
    :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you try and find a course that combines both computer science and some sort of accounting or maths. if that's not possible you could always get a double degree. But I truly agree with what others have said, it is your life and you are the one who is going to be studying, so do the course that you want to do. The job, the money and your position is only the final outcome, the experiences, the work load and how much you enjoy your course is something you are going to remember...

And if convincing your dad, is not as easy as "This is my life" I am not sure what to say...

ReputationRep:
    .... he says that im more likely to get a CEO position, which he is ultimately aiming for, with a degree in this field...
    In 30 years, yeah, maybe.

In all honest, what you did at University will count as nothing in interviewing for a CEO position.

ReputationRep:
    seeing as its bahrain, you cant argue with your dad much... its all bahrainis dreams for their kids to be bankers isnt it :P
    do an economics degree to please your father
    but
    you can also do modules in computer stuff
    are you at st.chris by any chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    In 30 years, yeah, maybe.

In all honest, what you did at University will count as nothing in interviewing for a CEO position.
    actually, its a little different in bahrain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mitsabeeba)
    seeing as its bahrain, you cant argue with your dad much... its all bahrainis dreams for their kids to be bankers isnt it :P
    do an economics degree to please your father
    but
    you can also do modules in computer stuff
    are you at st.chris by any chance
    haha
    ya howd u know?
    but im now ok with doin maths and econ

ReputationRep:
    In my dads view, Accounting +F or Econ are the only two options hes even willing to go thru with me coz his argument is that in my country (Bahrain) job prospects for those with a degree in this field is much better than comp sci. and he says that im more likely to get a CEO position, which he is ultimately aiming for, with a degree in this field.
    my dad is a banker btw.
    He's aiming for this - are you?

If you'd rather do computer science, then do it. It still has good prospects as far as I know, and it's your life. If you decide to study economics because you want to, fair enough, but don't let yourself be pushed into something you don't want to do - you won't enjoy it and you could end up dropping out

ReputationRep:
    Also - a quick search on UCAS reveals several courses that are joint Computer Science/Accounting and Finance or Maths or Economics. Would he be willing to compromise do you think?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.