Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied to KPMG to do an internship in the summer after my second year (now!) but they had filled positions for the internship I wanted and they gave me an option of fast tracking my application (to the interview stage) for a graduate position the next year, which I obviously took.

Thing is I messed up my second year really bad...as in failing 2 units bad. I fooled around too much and didnt study enough... as simple as that. I know I can do WAY better and I'm not stupid either!

Do you think I will need to put my second year marks into a new application to be fast tracked to the interview stage? I'm guessing probably yes...in which case, do you think that completely ruins my chances right there of getting a job? Any advice, anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know for sure. But from what you say it sounds like you may not have to. surely if they have already offered you the fast track option to interviews that means they would not by filtering you via your application or online testing. Was there any conditions to that offer?

If you get through, and get offered a place and you do not get a 2:1 the offer will be rebuked. I would only put in the work and apply if you know you can pull your finger out (but also physicaly get the grade with 2 fails).

Other option is if your grades were THAT bad, to resit your second year, apply to kpmg and defer for a year.

Even if you do have to input your grades again, you also get to input your expected third year grades, so just use that to show what you can do.

Grades are not everything. you need to really shine now to make up for it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Steffy!

I applied for an internship in Audit, then they said they could either give me one in Tax, or I could fast track my application next year to the interview stage for a graduate position. Thats alll I know!

I don't want to resit...even if I do isn't that almost as bad anyway?

ReputationRep:
    On your application form you have to put on which atempt the grade was achieved. I am not sure if resitting your year allows you to say "1st atempt" i know that if you resit your individual modules (which i assume you will have to do) you will be capped at a pass and you will have to put it down as a second atempt.

How good were your 1st yr marks and your other 2nd yr marks?

Personaly i would have chosen to do tax (but my grad placement is in tax!) do u hae the option now to switch and stay on the internship? If you do the tax internship, and then get offered a grad position, you then have the option to change service line/office i think.

I know what you mean about resitting your 2nd year, i wouldnt want to do it, but it may be worth it if yours 1st yr grades wer high (70 + ) and you got a low ave (50 ish) in your 2nd year. realistic options would depend on your actual grades

ReputationRep:
    I was fast tracked and I had to fill in the initial form again, but I'm not sure that is always the case. The email I received implied that they didn't really look at my form because it just said that because I had passed all the other stages before I could go straight to an assessment centre.

It won't take long to apply and see what happens, you can't lose much but could gain a lot so I'd just give it a go.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I would have chosen to do tax. Last year loads of people weren't in their preferred department for their internship, but all got offered jobs in their preferred deparmtent for grad positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 86501)
    I was fast tracked and I had to fill in the initial form again, but I'm not sure that is always the case. The email I received implied that they didn't really look at my form because it just said that because I had passed all the other stages before I could go straight to an assessment centre.

It won't take long to apply and see what happens, you can't lose much but could gain a lot so I'd just give it a go.
    And I'm guessing you got the job as well! Congrats! Any tips on the interview/group exercise? Did you have to put your second year marks in to the btw?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    I would have chosen to do tax. Last year loads of people weren't in their preferred department for their internship, but all got offered jobs in their preferred deparmtent for grad positions.
    Are most of the grad positions filled by interns?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Not most. Last year at least there was well over a thousand graduate positions and there's only 100 or so interns. Although all the interns I know that applied to come back as a graduate got accepted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.