Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really really want to study 'English and History with French', I may change History or French but otherwise I'm quite keen on this choice. I take it that this can be studied at Exeter University - but is this actually a respected degree, compared to Honours (say in just English) or to Combined Honours (in English/History)?

I'm sure you don't study English, History and French to the same standard you would study English or History alone, but does this mean people - especially employers - think less of you? It says it adds 'vocational elements to my degree' - what does this mean?

ReputationRep:
    If you're worrying about how 'respected' a degree is you probably shouldn't be doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lmcorr)
    If you're worrying about how 'respected' a degree is you probably shouldn't be doing it.
    Not in a 'I care what people think about what I'm taking' way, as I take it that's what you think I'm saying, but I simply have no idea how employers regard Combined Honours or even Flexible Combined Honours... does it just show that you're indecisive and that you're a 'jack of all trades, master of none'? And if I came out of uni with such a degree, would I just be considered as 'okay' in both, but not good overall, and therefore I would not be regarded as highly for, say, a job that requires a History degree when I only have a flexible combined honours?

I also don't understand the vocational bit, as how can a degree in several things be more 'vocational' than a degree in just one?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I don't know how else to phrase what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I see what you mean. I guess its totally subjective on the part of the employer really. If I was applying for a van driving job, I don't think the employer would care that I've got a Law degree, nor that it was from Exeter, nor the grade acheived, whereas maybe the more 'blue chip' companies look into those sorts of things. All depends what you want to go on and do I guess.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just go with what you think you'll enjoy and will be happy with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarafina)
    I really really want to study 'English and History with French', I may change History or French but otherwise I'm quite keen on this choice. I take it that this can be studied at Exeter University - but is this actually a respected degree, compared to Honours (say in just English) or to Combined Honours (in English/History)?

I'm sure you don't study English, History and French to the same standard you would study English or History alone, but does this mean people - especially employers - think less of you? It says it adds 'vocational elements to my degree' - what does this mean?
    I think if you're worried about how it might sound, just say it's a degree in English and History with a proficiency in French. It looks like you took on extra work that way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarafina)

If you decide to study English and History with French then you'll leave Exeter university with a degree in English and History with French - it doesn't get called Flexible Combined Honours, that's just the name of the department. It's vocational because they offer slightly more vocation subjects alongside the others, but you don't have to do them. And combined honours are studied everywhere in the world so I honestly don't think an employer is going to think that makes you any less worthy! Probably more than 50% of the people I know are doing Combind Honours degrees of some type, including things like French and Maths, which is probably less common than a lot of other degrees!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.