Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Constant intense feeling of anxiety for the last 2-3 weeks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I've been having a constant and intense feeling of anxiety for the last 2-3 weeks. I've got constant "butterflies in my stomach", and at all times I feel as if I'm about to give a speech to thousands of people.
    It's competely unexplained, I should be happy right now! I've graduated from uni, and I've got a job that I enjoy, and I've been accepted to start a PhD in October. I've a nice holiday to look forward to as well.

This feeling is really starting to take it out of me - it's becoming mixed with bouts of unexplained depression, and the odd second of happiness inbetween, and it's draining me of all my energy. I feel like I'm about to go to war. What the hell is wrong with me?!

I've booked in to see my GP, but my appointment isn't for another 2 weeks. I'm not sure I can wait that long, so I guess I might need to just book in with another GP?

ReputationRep:
    Counter it with intense physical activity and just do something that makes you happy when you get that feeling.

ReputationRep:
    This happened to me before but only for a couple of weeks. It does go eventually. I have no idea what triggerred it in me. Maybe your brain is just throwing a hissy fit because theres quite a lot of change going on in your life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Hi guys,
    I've been having a constant and intense feeling of anxiety for the last 2-3 weeks. I've got constant "butterflies in my stomach", and at all times I feel as if I'm about to give a speech to thousands of people.
    It's competely unexplained, I should be happy right now! I've graduated from uni, and I've got a job that I enjoy, and I've been accepted to start a PhD in October. I've a nice holiday to look forward to as well.

This feeling is really starting to take it out of me - it's becoming mixed with bouts of unexplained depression, and the odd second of happiness inbetween, and it's draining me of all my energy. I feel like I'm about to go to war. What the hell is wrong with me?!

I've booked in to see my GP, but my appointment isn't for another 2 weeks. I'm not sure I can wait that long, so I guess I might need to just book in with another GP?
    You could do but your doctor would probabaly tap his keyboard and hand you medication and, whilst I am not a doctor, I don't think drugging you up would be a good way forward. Doctors I have come across simply go 'so what's wrong' -insert problem here- then go 'ok, I can give you ____ drug-, they just don't listen or seem to care that much anymore.
    This may come back and I think finding an alternaive to drugs is the more healthier option.

Something could be effecting you and you don't realise, perhaps a parent confided something to you?

I'd just suggest things i'm sure others would - go for a run, distract yourself in some way. Perhaps try meditation (no-one would know unless you told them), as this often helps me. It relaxes your whole body.

ReputationRep:
    Take some time out for yourself and de-stress. It sounds like your over worked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose Quartz)

I'd just suggest things i'm sure others would - go for a run, distract yourself in some way. Perhaps try meditation (no-one would know unless you told them), as this often helps me. It relaxes your whole body.
    Yeah definitely, OP how about a good workout at the gym followed by sauna and steam room and a cold shower. I used to feel pretty good after doing that.

If it gets really bad just go to sleep for a few hours

ReputationRep:
    Find something that calms you down. You've had a lot going on, so go and do something physical (like gym/swimming, something sporty you enjoy) to get rid of the built up energy

ReputationRep:
    Alternatively get in touch with some friends from back in the day if nothing else works. For me personally, it gives me a guaranteed instant boost and makes me happy no matter how depressed i am at the time.

ReputationRep:
    I get this, it can be extremely random at times: "hmm what to have for breakfast?"*OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG*. I'm not sure if there is a way to prevent it other than just relaxing, so just stick your Ipod on and get a hot drink and calm down. I go to the toilet too, which seems to oddly help.

ReputationRep:
    Your body doesn't know the difference between good stress and bad stress. You're in a state of limbo at the moment not really anywhere if you know what I mean.

Going on holiday is stressful! There are so many things to think about. And although getting accepted into the phd course is amazing (well done :p:) you're probably subconsciously, as much as I hate that word, worrying about it.

I can see a lot of sources of stress from what you've said. You need to take time out, you sound like you have a busy life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghost)
    Hi guys,

To be honest this is how I am feeling lately too...I've just woken up and that strange feeling has already begun and I don't know why. I've had a pretty stressful year at college and thought summer would be my time to chill and calm myself down but honestly its not working either. I've had a couple of things bringing me down but cant think of the main problem that's getting to me. I just feel like getting away for a couple of weeks but I know that's no gonna help me a great deal either because minds still going to be stuck back at home and its going to make me feel even worse.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input all. It's reassuring to know that other people seem to have experienced similar things. I don't think I'd ever take a medicated solution, that seems like a slippery slope, and is something that really doesn't solve any problems. I think I'll keep the appointment with my GP so I can at least chat to someone about how I feel. Hopefully they won't be too dismissive.

ReputationRep:
    I occasionally get the uneasy/nervous feeling for no apparent reason its not the nicest of things to have when you have no reason for it.

Are you sure there is nothing playing on your mind at the current time as small and insignificant as it may seem it may have a effect on you or more then you think it should be.

Your GP wont be submissive and will listen, i think you have the right attitute with this talking about it is something that can only help.

ReputationRep:
    It's just because you are excited for Harry Potter.

*hasn't read the thread*

ReputationRep:
    I had this a couple of years ago, and some milder experiences since. The first time it was because I was scared of completely ******* up the first year of my degree, which of course I didn't. I have had it in a milder form for no good reason before though. Recently, for instance, over struggling to find work this year, despite the fact that I know I have enough money to survive the summer, albeit by being very boring and staying in. Perhaps for you it's being scared of messing everything up now that you've succeeded in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose Quartz)
    You could do but your doctor would probabaly tap his keyboard and hand you medication and, whilst I am not a doctor, I don't think drugging you up would be a good way forward. Doctors I have come across simply go 'so what's wrong' -insert problem here- then go 'ok, I can give you ____ drug-, they just don't listen or seem to care that much anymore.
    This may come back and I think finding an alternaive to drugs is the more healthier option.

Something could be effecting you and you don't realise, perhaps a parent confided something to you?

Actually a lot of doctors recommend CBT first and it all depends on where you are and what your doctors like. OP if you like PM me, had depression/anxiety/panic attacks recently and at different points over the last 7 years. Had medication/CBT and tried alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ithinkitslametodance)
    It's just because you are excited for Harry Potter.

*hasn't read the thread*
    :beer: how could it not be cos of HP??

ReputationRep:
    I've recently had this too, i thought it was exam stress but it just continued for no reason! I went to the doctors and I told him i didn't really want to go on anxiety meds that mess with my brain, just because i felt that it was early days and i could probably take control my self. So he gave me some beta-blockers to help the physical symptoms calm down, and i think they have really helped me. They basically stop lower the adrenalin thats being pumped in my body thus stopping the palpitations and the tight feeling in my tummy. Unfortunately i have developed really bad health anxiety which means that even though i dont have panic symptoms often because of the beta blockers, my mind is in overdrive. So I went back to the doctors and I am now starting some CBT.
    I think you should ring the doctors again and just beg them to squeeze you in asap. In the mean time try and find something to do with really calms you. I would walk around in a circle for ages and i found it made me tired which helped. I tried reading and that helped too.
    The important thing to remember is you're not going mad. I constantly thought I was going crazy and that it would never get better, but it does.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    Actually a lot of doctors recommend CBT first and it all depends on where you are and what your doctors like. OP if you like PM me, had depression/anxiety/panic attacks recently and at different points over the last 7 years. Had medication/CBT and tried alternatives.
    This is why I said 'the doctors I have come across'.

Unless you have been seen by 'most' doctors you cannot make such a generalisation, something you indirectly say I am doing.

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly how you feel... i've always had mild anxiety for as long as i can remember, but i got so stressed out over my A levels that it triggered extremely severe anxiety, panic attacks and depression. It feels like nothing is real and like i'm going completely crazy. I've been like it for 6 weeks now, it's gross, but i went to the doctors and i'm on anti depressants which are slowly making a difference. A few weeks ago i couldn't get off the sofa and i couldn't eat, now i can eat normally and am doing some stuff i used to do again =] Definately go to the doctors

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.