Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Taking money on holiday? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Im away on holiday soon to america and was wondering what was the best way to take money on holiday.

1. I have a nationwide debit card and was considering using it for alot of transactions but ive heard that when using it abroad you are charged now (anyone know ho much?) whereas before it was free.

2. Or i could just buy some dollars at home here but where should i get them? I heard th epost office was good because its commisionfree. Anyone know what sort of exchange rated id be getting?

3. And finally my mum told me that thomas cook are doing something where you can put money on a card which you take on holiday and use it like a debit card only you dont get charged for it?

Anyone have any suggestions or help on the matter? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Biggillystyle)
    Hey guys! Im away on holiday soon to america and was wondering what was the best way to take money on holiday.

1. I have a nationwide debit card and was considering using it for alot of transactions but ive heard that when using it abroad you are charged now (anyone know ho much?) whereas before it was free.

2. Or i could just buy some dollars at home here but where should i get them? I heard th epost office was good because its commisionfree. Anyone know what sort of exchange rated id be getting?

3. And finally my mum told me that thomas cook are doing something where you can put money on a card which you take on holiday and use it like a debit card only you dont get charged for it?

Anyone have any suggestions or help on the matter? Thanks.
    Nationwide do now charge you for transactions outside Europe (or something like that..) Definitely they will charge for America... I have no idea how much though - sorry!

The Post Office are doing the same thing as Thomas Cook, with the cash passport thing, & apparently you get a better deal for going to America with The Post Office.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/p...diaId=26800661

ReputationRep:
    Ask your bank for a Cash Card (nationwide that is). They have no charges on withdrawals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Ask your bank for a Cash Card (nationwide that is). They have no charges on withdrawals.
    This changed on last month. They do charge now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *banana)
    This changed on last month. They do charge now.
    Link? Google shows nothing.

EDIT:

"I have a Cash Card Account that I use to withdraw cash when I'm on holiday. Will I be charged?

No. Initially, only Visa debit card transactions will have a fee applied. Your cash card is run by a different provider and is only available for withdrawing cash (it does not have facilities to make purchases online or at retailers). Our Cash Card Account is our Basic Bank Account and is available/suitable for customers who meet the Basic Bank Account criteria."

Only fee you pay is...

"The Visa fee increase to 1% scheduled for 1 July will no longer take place and the fee will remain at 0.84%. Consequently Nationwide will also keep the fee at 0.84%."

On the Visa debit card, which is still ridiculously low for a bank, and better than both my other banks (TSB and Natwest)

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do don't exchange your money at the Post Office, M&S or at the airport.
    0% Commission means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    You will be charged to withdraw cash abroad from an ATM, im with HSBC and to withdraw in Thailand it cost me £3 per transaction of any value.
    Its a different story paying for hotels, in shops etc with your card, it shouldnt cost anything.

The thomas cook and post office debit cards are only worthwhile for paying for things in shops etc, they still have an ATM charge. To be honest there is no way to avoid the ATM charges regardless of bank.

If you dont want to incurr this charge then only way around it is cash or travelers cheques (again a fee will be charged in the US when you change them).

Personally I'd just lump the fact it'll cost you £3 per however much you withdraw, isnt really the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Link? Google shows nothing.

EDIT:

"I have a Cash Card Account that I use to withdraw cash when I'm on holiday. Will I be charged?

No. Initially, only Visa debit card transactions will have a fee applied. Your cash card is run by a different provider and is only available for withdrawing cash (it does not have facilities to make purchases online or at retailers). Our Cash Card Account is our Basic Bank Account and is available/suitable for customers who meet the Basic Bank Account criteria."

Only fee you pay is...

"The Visa fee increase to 1% scheduled for 1 July will no longer take place and the fee will remain at 0.84%. Consequently Nationwide will also keep the fee at 0.84%."

On the Visa debit card, which is still ridiculously low for a bank, and better than both my other banks (TSB and Natwest)
    Well, all I know is that Nationwide sent me a letter saying that they were going to apply charges on withdrawals outside of Europe (or the EU, or something similar). They have sent me no other letter to state that this has changed. If it is wrong, then Nationwide are even more useless than I thought.

ReputationRep:
    Well, all I know is that Nationwide sent me a letter saying that they were going to apply charges on withdrawals outside of Europe (or the EU, or something similar). They have sent me no other letter to state that this has changed. If it is wrong, then Nationwide are even more useless than I thought.
    For debit cards not cash cards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    For debit cards not cash cards.
    I know the difference between a debit card and a cash card. And my letter was about cash cards. Anyway, OP, I have no idea what is true - if I have given you wrong information I'm sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I know the difference between a debit card and a cash card. And my letter was about cash cards. Anyway, OP, I have no idea what is true - if I have given you wrong information I'm sorry.
    Well "in the future" is very different to "it changed last month". It does say on their site that they will start charging on cash cards too eventually, but no ETA is given.

I should imagine it will be a while at least, especially if they don't give a date.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Well "in the future" is very different to "it changed last month". It does say on their site that they will start charging on cash cards too eventually, but no ETA is given.

I should imagine it will be a while at least, especially if they don't give a date.
    I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth shopping around for one of those pre-paid Mastercards to put your travel money on. Often they charge nothing for using it as a debit card in a shop and have lower ATM fees than a normal debit card. I've got a FairFx card for when I go to Europe and it only charges £1for withdrawing money whereas my Natwest debit card would be double that.

This site is quite useful: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/tra...-money#prepaid

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what you're talking about anymore.
    You somehow changed "we will charge in the future..." into "we charge now". You should read your bank letters more carefully! Specially with important stuff like this!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)
    You somehow changed "we will charge in the future..." into "we charge now". You should read your bank letters more carefully! Specially with important stuff like this!
    I didn't but nevermind. I read them very carefully thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.