Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think this is bad customer service... Watch

Okay so I have just been for my induction at an airport where I am going to be working in a bar, it is part of a group of companies which serve food and drink to the general public...

I am in no way a racist but I think it is completely out of order that people are being given jobs working with the general public that can hardly speak any english at all. There we're people there who couldn't even answer simple questions in the induction cause they didn't understand what the trainer was saying.
    I think this is really bad how are they supposed to understand a customers needs if they can't understand what is going on in the class!!

Personally I wouldn't go to another country and work with the public when I couldn't understand what they need would just be embarrassing & I wouldn't be helping anyone really would I?

Further to this one of the indian men that was there (who could speak broken english) told me I should know all the answers about food hygeine as I am a woman & when I asked him what he meant he added I shouldn't be working & my job is at home how rude is that!

Does anyone else think I am right or wrong with this?

I am anon as I haven't started the job yet and if anyone sees it I don't want thm thinking I am moaning before I have even started.

ReputationRep:
    It's not your responsibility to make the hiring and firing decisions. Just do your job well and try not to upset your colleagues.

ReputationRep:
    It's money isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day the best thing you can do is as everyone else has said - is just to get on with working hard You'll be commended for it and hopefully they'll notice any thing that may prevent some of your fellow collegues from working well in a customer service environment.

As for the man who made the sexist remark, make a note of it with the date and if he continues to do so keep a diary and approach your manager about it. Sexual harrasement shouldnt be tolerated in the work place.

x

ReputationRep:
    Look on the bright side: you'll be the most competent one there by a mile :yep:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.