Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    There's a hotel in the UK somewhere that has a nearly exclusive Autistic/learning disabilities affected staff, no?
    yeah in cornwall i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    yeah in cornwall i think
    Thinking about it, I think it's downs syndrome people they hire?

Same principle though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    My brother has autistic traits and attained 8 GCSEs at school all As. By the age of 14 he was running the schools computer department!. My eldest son is awaiting a diagnosis for Aspergers syndrome but is very clever. I think its time that people with Autism/Aspergers were told what they *can* do rather than what they *cant*. Companies cannot discriminate against disabled people, its illegal.
    A guy at my college had assburgers as we liked to call it. He got really obsessed with lame stuff, the thing to do would be to direct your son towards getting obsessive about useful things like science and maths instead of letting him get involved in Star Trek and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    A guy at my college had assburgers as we liked to call it. He got really obsessed with lame stuff, the thing to do would be to direct your son towards getting obsessive about useful things like science and maths instead of letting him get involved in Star Trek and stuff.
    My son is 12 and absolutely loves Lego, hes fanatical about the stuff. He does like science ( not as much as I do though!) and maths, in fact he could count to 20 before he could even talk properly. He doesnt like Star Trek at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Thinking about it, I think it's downs syndrome people they hire?

Same principle though.
    maybe :moon:

ReputationRep:
    My son is 12 and absolutely loves Lego, hes fanatical about the stuff. He does like science ( not as much as I do though!) and maths, in fact he could count to 20 before he could even talk properly. He doesnt like Star Trek at all.
    Lego is a pretty cool thing to be interested in. The good thing about Aspergers is that you can have many of the positive traits of autism whilst having the ability to learn about social interaction, you wouldn't even guess that my friend has it until you've hung around him for a long time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by teshla^^)
    Aren't they supposed to be highly intelligent?
    I babysat a boy with autism. He was assessed to have an IQ of about 68. He was also the worst behaved child I have ever encountered (and I have encountered a lot).

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, thanks to kiss's butting in the moderator decided to delete everything I wrote. I did say, Aspergers gives you the positive aspects of Autisim with the ability to learn about social interaction, which is good. Have you watched the documentary about the real rain man? He goes around Universities and people ask him random questions and he just knows the answers, he was reading before he could walk, and had finished the entire phone book by age 3 lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I babysat a boy with autism. He was assessed to have an IQ of about 68. He was also the worst behaved child I have ever encountered (and I have encountered a lot).
    Have you been around a child that genuinely has ADD who has skipped his medication? A boy a few years below me at cadets didn't take his medicine at school and he went totally mental, he broke a girls arm and pissed in her lunch box before having to be restrained for his parents to be called.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, thanks to kiss's butting in the moderator decided to delete everything I wrote. I did say, Aspergers gives you the positive aspects of Autisim with the ability to learn about social interaction, which is good. Have you watched the documentary about the real rain man? He goes around Universities and people ask him random questions and he just knows the answers, he was reading before he could walk, and had finished the entire phone book by age 3 lol.
    He isn't like that because he is autistic, he is like that because he is a savant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EpsilonZero)
    He wasn't like that because he was autistic, he was like that because he was a savant.
    Savant syndrome isn't a recognised diagnosis. It says that Kim Peek does not have autism, he has FG syndrome, whatever that is? I was under the impression he had higher level autism, and that at the very least he was on the spectrum.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Have you been around a child that genuinely has ADD who has skipped his medication? A boy a few years below me at cadets didn't take his medicine at school and he went totally mental, he broke a girls arm and pissed in her lunch box before having to be restrained for his parents to be called.
    This kid didn't take any medication and was totally mental.

-Any time he didn't get what he wanted, he would have a HUGE tantrum, which involved screaming uncontrollably endlessly, kicking everything in sight, banging his head against the wall, destroying parts of the house (he tore apart the window blinds once), etc. This happened one time because I wouldn't let him drain the inflatable swimming pool in his backyard.
    -He would regularly kick his cat in the face and pull its tail
    -Every time he went into the bathroom/kitchen he would unravel the entire roll of toilet paper/kitchen roll :woo:

I put up with it for a whole summer. He had only just turned five... I hate to think what he must be like now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cdloanio)
    no...you choose who can do the job?

In which case every interview discriminates against the weakest candidates. If they are saying no due to features associated with autism, it cant be discrimination. If they are saying no because of the autism it is discrimination. It might be true that autism implies hard to find work but this does no translate to autism implies discrimination.
    But there are people without autism who are extremely clever also, who also need jobs and could probably bond better with the team and perform better overall. This just seems to be some charity case rather than hiring the best person for the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    This kid didn't take any medication and was totally mental.

-Any time he didn't get what he wanted, he would have a HUGE tantrum, which involved screaming uncontrollably endlessly, kicking everything in sight, banging his head against the wall, destroying parts of the house (he tore apart the window blinds once), etc. This happened one time because I wouldn't let him drain the inflatable swimming pool in his backyard.
    -He would regularly kick his cat in the face and pull its tail
    -Every time he went into the bathroom/kitchen he would unravel the entire roll of toilet paper/kitchen roll http://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/i...milies/woo.gif

I put up with it for a whole summer. He had only just turned five... I hate to think what he must be like now.
    Wow what a nightmare lol. Was he very clever? O I can see he has an IQ of 68, but I mean as in can he memorise and do some subjects well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    But there are people without autism who are extremely clever also, who also need jobs and could probably bond better with the team and perform better overall. This just seems to be some charity case rather than hiring the best person for the job.
    I think if he has a child with Autism he will be extremely good at utilising people with autism, so it might end up being better for his company than hiring normal people. The problem is each firm can handle 1 autistic person, but once you start having an office that is half full of autistics and half full of 'normal' people it wouldn't function.

(Original post by Fawn)
    1% of Europeans are Autistic, I'm sure there are many people out there who would work as hard or even harder at the job to support their families.
    It isn't just about being hard working, though.

ReputationRep:
    Eurgh I was one of those unfortunate kids who got into Star Trek. That's a part of my life I'd rather forget. Seriously, why couldn't I have been taking drugs and having sex like a normal 12 year old?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    It isn't just about being hard working, though.
    Yes but not every autistic person has the same traits and behaves the same so it would be some gamble as to whether they would perform productively throughout the whole time they're there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Eurgh I was one of those unfortunate kids who got into Star Trek. That's a part of my life I'd rather forget. Seriously, why couldn't I have been taking drugs and having sex like a normal 12 year old?
    Do you have aspergers? I take it your over ST? I think my friends Star Trek phase is over now, he is in India so I don't imagine he can get hold of much trekky material.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wow what a nightmare lol. Was he very clever? O I can see he has an IQ of 68, but I mean as in can he memorise and do some subjects well?
    As far as I could tell, he couldn't do anything well.

When I first met them, his parents said he "might be on the autistic spectrum" and acted like he was normal besides that. They didn't mention that anything was wrong with him in the internet ad they put up looking for a babysitter.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.