Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    As far as I could tell, he couldn't do anything well.

When I first met them, his parents said he "might be on the autistic spectrum" and acted like he was normal besides that. They didn't mention that anything was wrong with him in the internet ad they put up looking for a babysitter.
    He might have had a severe case of ADD. Usually i'm against dosing children up, but we seem to get the balance right in this country.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the company wants the performance and clarity of thinking similar to a psychopath without the damage that a psychopath typically causes (assuming they don't mind their lack of social skills with other employees).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Do you have aspergers? I take it your over ST? I think my friends Star Trek phase is over now, he is in India so I don't imagine he can get hold of much trekky material.
    Don't have aspergers or anything like that as far as I know. I'm probably a bit below average in social ability, but I doubt it comes close to counting as having any condition.

Yeah, I stopped caring about Star Trek when I started caring about girls. Now I've got a load of worthless crap in the loft that I can't get rid of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Perhaps the company wants the performance and clarity of thinking similar to a psychopath without the damage that a psychopath typically causes (assuming they don't mind their lack of social skills with other employees).
    I don't think autism is anything like being a psychopath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I don't think autism is anything like being a psychopath.
    Yet the behaviour of the two, in many ways, is very comparable.

ReputationRep:
    Heh, I know this guy with asperger's syndrome. And of all the things to be facinated about, his personal fascination is social interaction and the art of the pick up. So you would never actually know he had it unless he told you. He's only told his closest friends. The guy is mad smart too and now very very manipulative without you even noticing.... there is not one person who doesn't like him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Yet the behaviour of the two, in many ways, is very comparable.
    Really? I thought that some psychopaths have very good social ability, but lack normal emotional responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    Really? I thought that some psychopaths have very good social ability, but lack normal emotional responses.
    A psychopath can have exquisite social skills compared to an autistic person who typically has much poorer social skills. I highly recommend reading up on psychopathy, autism and perhaps aspergers for some extremely interesting reading, as that will be able to explain it far more effectively than I ever could. There are similarities in the way all of them behave (but with key differences).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    This kid didn't take any medication and was totally mental.

-Any time he didn't get what he wanted, he would have a HUGE tantrum, which involved screaming uncontrollably endlessly, kicking everything in sight, banging his head against the wall, destroying parts of the house (he tore apart the window blinds once), etc. This happened one time because I wouldn't let him drain the inflatable swimming pool in his backyard.
    -He would regularly kick his cat in the face and pull its tail
    -Every time he went into the bathroom/kitchen he would unravel the entire roll of toilet paper/kitchen roll :woo:

I put up with it for a whole summer. He had only just turned five... I hate to think what he must be like now.
    My son has episodes similar to the ones listed above occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    W00t, job security for me!

(Original post by Fawn)
    Yes but not every autistic person has the same traits and behaves the same so it would be some gamble as to whether they would perform productively throughout the whole time they're there.
    Your responses seem to suggest you're under the impression that this guy simply asks all applicants whether they're autistic, and if they say yes he gives them the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Your responses seem to suggest you're under the impression that this guy simply asks all applicants whether they're autistic, and if they say yes he gives them the job.
    With the extremely low numbers of people suffering from Autism it seems as if he does.

ReputationRep:
    I've come across a fair few people with autism. All have been fantastic with mathematical and technical tasks. I genuinely smiled thinking about this and the potential to improve the lives of other autistic people.

ReputationRep:
    Great story. The UK has gotten a lot better regarding special learning resources to be fair, but education of children with autism ends at 19, when they're left to their own devices; arguably the young adult-adult transition is the hardest of all. Also, it might cater for the significant proportion that are neither technically incredibly gifted in some way (a very small minority that receive all the media attention), nor are so far up the spectrum not to need such initiatives to help them find work (a la Bill Gates and others with Asperger's).

ReputationRep:
    I know the perfect career for autistic people; actuary. Majority of the job is doing equations. These exams that are really hard should be minor for them.

(Original post by Fawn)
    With the extremely low numbers of people suffering from Autism it seems as if he does.
    I think you'll still find there are far more autistic people than he has positions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    I think you'll still find there are far more autistic people than he has positions.
    Yes but enough that only autistic people applied for such positions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    It varies - I have two friends with it. One has a low IQ and the other is very intelligent.
    Depends if they are high functioning or low functioning though.
    I've never met someone with Aspergers who was unintelligent. And i've met a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyT)
    Depends if they are high functioning or low functioning though.
    I've never met someone with Aspergers who was unintelligent. And i've met a lot.
    You haven't met my brother! He has Aspergers and an IQ of 71. Mathematical skills? He is 18 and still adds up on his fingers.
    Aspies are not all the same, any more than neurotypically normal people all have equal intelligence or abilities.
    If this employer has found that some people with Aspergers are suited to working for him, then he has every right to employ them. It does not mean that every Aspie would be suitable for the posts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizj)
    You haven't met my brother! He has Aspergers and an IQ of 71. Mathematical skills? He is 18 and still adds up on his fingers.
    Aspies are not all the same, any more than neurotypically normal people all have equal intelligence or abilities.
    If this employer has found that some people with Aspergers are suited to working for him, then he has every right to employ them. It does not mean that every Aspie would be suitable for the posts.
    Yes and i am fully aware if you read my other posts i have stressed this point that all Aspergers are not the same.

But then i guess he may be bad at maths but excels in other areas?

My brother at 5 years old could probably name over 100 dinosaurs, where they lived, the period they lived in, their heights, how to identify them etc. He impressed other paleontologists whom had been doing it for years!
    And every person i know with aspergers is along similar lines.

But it does sounds like your brother is more autism then AS....

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.