Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jo Whiley and Edith Bowman replaced Watch

ReputationRep:
    I stopped actively listening when Colin moved onto his own slot. I like Bowman and Whiley, they made for decent easy listening.

What perplexes me is how the likes of Chris Moyles and Scott Mills are still there when the likes of Sara Cox gets pushed back, it makes me wonder why does the BBC spend our money on presenters that just gossip amongst themselves and on occasion play some music. I've even turned to listening to Radio 2 which is miles ahead of Radio 1 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spobby)
    The BBC faced fresh accusations of ageism today as two of Radio 1's longstanding women presenters lost their high-profile daily shows to younger rivals.

After eight years hosting her Radio 1 morning show, DJ Jo Whiley is being dropped from her popular slot in favour of Fearne Cotton.
    The reason is twofold.

First of all, they are trying to keep the presenters as close to the target age demographic as possible. Virtually none of the presenters fall into that bracket as it is, so their move is understandable.

Secondly they have to reinvent and move things around so it doesn't become stale. You said it yourself; "8 years".

ReputationRep:
    They both got the job because of ageism, they'll lose it because of ageism too. It's only fair. I mean people tune into radio 2 if they want to listen to old people.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely hate fern cotton, but i do not listen to radio so i really don't give a flying ****.

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised anybody cares. It won't alter anything. The DJs on Radio 1 probably don't even choose songs for their own show in which case it just means you get a different voices nattering on for a few minutes between songs. Besides, Jo Whiley is an annoying bint. I'm glad she's got shunted.

ReputationRep:
    YESSS I hate jo whiley... though i really like edith bowman though i also like greg james, but fern cotton is a bit annoying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    YESSS I hate jo whiley... though i really like edith bowman though i also like greg james, but fern cotton is a bit annoying...
    EXACTLY what I was going to say. Cotton is damn well annoying, I can't stand her - Edith Bowman's an absolute legend though!

ReputationRep:
    don't radio 1 just play the same **** regardless? especially during the day.

ReputationRep:
    Phew, Jo's voice used to grate on me whenever she was on the radio. Can't stand her.

ReputationRep:
    oh **** yeah, they should have given sarah cox jo whileys slot. she's so much better than both jo and fern.

ReputationRep:
    oooh Love jo whiley, can't stand fearne cotton. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Replacing Jo Whiley with Fearne Cotton is like replacing your hobby of train spotting to stamp collecting. They are both monotonous, boring, and bring no interest or cheer into my life personally. Each to their own though.

ReputationRep:
    THANK FUDGE FOR THAT.

I couldn't stand another changing track. I have to endure that five days a week.

ReputationRep:
    Jo Whiley is one of the worst people in the world anyway, surpassed only by Zane Lowe

ReputationRep:
    I used to love Sara Cox, way better than ******* Fearne Cotton.

ReputationRep:
    Fearne cotton is so hot, get edith and jo the **** out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luca118)
    Fearne cotton is so hot, get edith and jo the **** out.
    Seeing Fearne Cotton on TV is distracting obviously, and it stops you from realising how bad her presenting is. On the radio, you realise how awful she really is, particularly alongside that Reggie bloke.

ReputationRep:
    Yesssssss! no more of the patronising Jo Whiley! Hurrah for fresh meat!

ReputationRep:
    Will Fearne Cotton now take over Jo Whiley's ubiquitous advert voice overs of every new indie band's debut album describing how it is 'stunning'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superman19)
    Fearne Cotton is a ****, Greg James is decent though.
    Such a wannabe scott mills

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.