Turn on thread page Beta

Have/can you buy holiday insurance halfway into your holiday? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm abroad on holiday and ill, arrived 2 weeks ago. Not seriously ill atm, but since it's an autoimmune illness (bit more than an allergy) the doctors can't predict if it will progress further. (I blame the fact that being on foreign soil is wreaking havoc with my immune system)

Do you reckon I could buy insurance to start in a weeks time or something? If the condition progresses further, it'll take some time.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you get it in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fawn)
    Why didn't you get it in the first place?
    because i normally don't like buying insurance.

ReputationRep:
    I think you could buy insurance during your holiday normally, but I would be surprised if you could buy it after already becoming ill. After all, you can't buy possessions cover already having lost your camera, so I don't see why you can buy healthcare having become sick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Real-One)
    because i normally don't like buying insurance.
    Then have fun with the medical fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    I think you could buy insurance during your holiday normally, but I would be surprised if you could buy it after already becoming ill. After all, you can't buy possessions cover already having lost your camera, so I don't see why you can buy healthcare having become sick.
    I'm trying to screw the insurance company obviously. There is a lack of a centralised computer medical database here and my movement has not been tracked so I reckon I can get away with some pretty outrageous lies.

However, I bought my plane ticket in the UK and that's on record.

ReputationRep:
    LOL this is a ridiculous question. I'm even questioning if your for real.

Insurance companies aren't stupid. They work on risk, do you really think they are going to insure you when you already have an illness? It's like trying to buy life insurance when you have terminal cancer.

No they won't insure you, and you only have yourself to blame for this. Travel insurance costs practically nothing, and going abroad is stupid without it.

Make sure the hospital know you don't have insurance, otherwise they will put you in private care and it will cost thousands per day.

ReputationRep:
    Most insurers will only pay out if you have been covered for the whole duration of the trip, but i'm sure there must be some out there that dont mind you getting a policy half way through, however if they realise you're claiming for a condition which you had before getting insured then its unlikely they'll pay out..however you could convince them the condition developed after you got insured..but its tricky stuff..hence why most of them only pay out if you've been insured for the whole trip.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, just had another thought. maybe i could buy insurance for a trip into a neighbouring country of where I am now and claim i became ill due to being there.

ReputationRep:
    I'm trying to screw the insurance company obviously. There is a lack of a centralised computer medical database here and my movement has not been tracked so I reckon I can get away with some pretty outrageous lies.

However, I bought my plane ticket in the UK and that's on record.
    Insurance companies aren't stupid. You say you had this condition before you even left the UK? It's on your medical records back home. They will call up the doctors who treated you and get information from them about when you were first treated. Obviously they also have the date you bought your plane ticket, presumably details about your hotel etc.

You won't be able to scame them just because the country your in is crap at record keeping. The insurance people won't just throw up their hands and go, "Oh well! Give him the money anyway!", they'll just refuse to pay out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    You say you had this condition before you even left the UK? It's on your medical records back home.
    Nope, I did not have the condition on record before I left the UK. the autoimmune condition i have now can apparently be caused by a drastic change in environment. No other details can be tracked except plane ticket which was bought in UK.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, just had another thought. maybe i could buy insurance for a trip into a neighbouring country of where I am now and claim i became ill due to being there.
    It doesn't work like that, you'd have to fly home to your home country (UK) first.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean about fixing records though. My friend had a hospital change the report so that the insurance company would pay out. Its quite common in many poor countries, thus they can charge you huge fees for private medical care (or rather the insurance company).

If you can find a company that will insure you mid trip, then get the hospital to fix the records, you should be fine. But you are risking a lot. Personally I would just fly home and get treatment under the NHS. That is if you are fit to fly of course.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I did not have the condition on record before I left the UK. the autoimmune condition i have now can apparently be caused by a drastic change in environment. No other details can be tracked except plane ticket which was bought in UK.
    And, as I said, your treatment in whatever country you're in now. If they can't get information from the doctors currently treating you, they won't pay out. If they find out you bought insurance after already falling ill, they won't pay out. In short, you're ******. It seems ridiculous to me to ask them to fix the records. Considering how much you're risking there, I can't see that medical treatment in the kind of country that would falsify records for money would be that expensive.

Seriously, it's difficult enough to claim back off insurance when you're completely in the right. Did you really think they'd pay out when you're in the wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    And, as I said, your treatment in whatever country you're in now. If they can't get information from the doctors currently treating you, they won't pay out. If they find out you bought insurance after already falling ill, they won't pay out. In short, you're ******. It seems ridiculous to me to ask them to fix the records. Considering how much you're risking there, I can't see that medical treatment in the kind of country that would falsify records for money would be that expensive.

Seriously, it's difficult enough to claim back off insurance when you're completely in the right. Did you really think they'd pay out when you're in the wrong?
    you can't blame me for trying though. and seriously, we got new car windows before because my father and i smashed it with bricks and such

ReputationRep:
    It's called insurance fraud and it's illegal. The reason everyone else pays higher prices is because of idiots like you.

I hope it's a serious illness.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually laughing.

Would you drive down the motorway without a seatbelt on?
    Would you leave your house unlocked when you go out?

Now ssh.

ReputationRep:
    you only have yourself to blame. accept responsibility for your actions.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.