Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ok so this morning, my dad had a go at me for apparently "snapping" at him (which I didn't). Anyway, he said some pretty mean things which left me feeling upset.

Shortly after, he left for work and has just sent me a text saying:
    "...you should think about how to act and I will consider giving you some money in the next few days..."

I replied:
    "I'm not being obnoxious, but I truly believe I was not at fault this morning. Obviously you think I was, so therefore, I apologise."

I honestly couldn't care less about his money, because as far as I'm concered, my parents owe me nothing (I'm 18). I just want to scream at him for being so mean to me for absolutely nothing.

So should I have responded like this? Or should I have just said "yeah ok, it was my fault." Any advice is gratefully received. Thanks.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok so this morning, my dad had a go at me for apparently "snapping" at him (which I didn't). Anyway, he said some pretty mean things which left me feeling upset.

Shortly after, he left for work and has just sent me a text saying:
    "...you should think about how to act and I will consider giving you some money in the next few days..."

I replied:
    "I'm not being obnoxious, but I truly believe I was not at fault this morning. Obviously you think I was, so therefore, I apologise."

I honestly couldn't care less about his money, because as far as I'm concered, my parents owe me nothing (I'm 18). I just want to scream at him for being so mean to me for absolutely nothing.

So should I have responded like this? Or should I have just said "yeah ok, it was my fault." Any advice is gratefully received. Thanks.
    You sound like a 5 year old. Grow up. "I just want to scream at him for being so mean to me for absolutely nothing".

ReputationRep:
    Did you ask him for money?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a reasonable response to me, don't accept the money though.

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever you think is best, if you feel you were right then don't apologise. If you want his money then by all means apologise.

ReputationRep:
    i think that was a good response. you told him you thought you didnt do anything wrong, yet you apologised anyway.
    i do that all the time with my parents, occasionally leads onto more arguments but if you dont want the money anyway then what does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    'Be a good boy/girl for the next few days and I'll give you some money.' Nice :yep:

If your dad was in the wrong, now he's trying to pacify you buy giving you money, anything for a quiet life right? If you think he was wrong then you shouldn't take the blame, your reply sounded reasonable and polite to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a mature response to me.

Well I was working up until last month, until they decided to make some cutbacks, so currently I am looking for a job, but finding it increasingly difficult.
    I don't regularly ask him for money, and if I do, I promise to pay it back once I'm earning.
    It just feels like he takes everything out on me, and some of the things he says can be really cutting.

ReputationRep:
    Bored.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    my mum told me to drive off the cliff today

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.