Turn on thread page Beta

Should I have responded like this? watch

Ok so this morning, my dad had a go at me for apparently "snapping" at him (which I didn't). Anyway, he said some pretty mean things which left me feeling upset.

Shortly after, he left for work and has just sent me a text saying:
    "...you should think about how to act and I will consider giving you some money in the next few days..."

I replied:
    "I'm not being obnoxious, but I truly believe I was not at fault this morning. Obviously you think I was, so therefore, I apologise."

I honestly couldn't care less about his money, because as far as I'm concered, my parents owe me nothing (I'm 18). I just want to scream at him for being so mean to me for absolutely nothing.

So should I have responded like this? Or should I have just said "yeah ok, it was my fault." Any advice is gratefully received. Thanks.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Ok so this morning, my dad had a go at me for apparently "snapping" at him (which I didn't). Anyway, he said some pretty mean things which left me feeling upset.

Shortly after, he left for work and has just sent me a text saying:
    "...you should think about how to act and I will consider giving you some money in the next few days..."

I replied:
    "I'm not being obnoxious, but I truly believe I was not at fault this morning. Obviously you think I was, so therefore, I apologise."

I honestly couldn't care less about his money, because as far as I'm concered, my parents owe me nothing (I'm 18). I just want to scream at him for being so mean to me for absolutely nothing.

So should I have responded like this? Or should I have just said "yeah ok, it was my fault." Any advice is gratefully received. Thanks.
    You sound like a 5 year old. Grow up. "I just want to scream at him for being so mean to me for absolutely nothing".

ReputationRep:
    Did you ask him for money?

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a reasonable response to me, don't accept the money though.

ReputationRep:
    Do whatever you think is best, if you feel you were right then don't apologise. If you want his money then by all means apologise.

ReputationRep:
    i think that was a good response. you told him you thought you didnt do anything wrong, yet you apologised anyway.
    i do that all the time with my parents, occasionally leads onto more arguments but if you dont want the money anyway then what does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    'Be a good boy/girl for the next few days and I'll give you some money.' Nice :yep:

If your dad was in the wrong, now he's trying to pacify you buy giving you money, anything for a quiet life right? If you think he was wrong then you shouldn't take the blame, your reply sounded reasonable and polite to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Seems like a mature response to me.

Well I was working up until last month, until they decided to make some cutbacks, so currently I am looking for a job, but finding it increasingly difficult.
    I don't regularly ask him for money, and if I do, I promise to pay it back once I'm earning.
    It just feels like he takes everything out on me, and some of the things he says can be really cutting.

ReputationRep:
    Bored.....zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

ReputationRep:
    my mum told me to drive off the cliff today

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.