Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, does anyone know who the best place is to get a student account with for uni?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The best student bank account is the one which suits your needs most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .X.alysha.X.)
    Hey, does anyone know who the best place is to get a student account with for uni?

Thanks.

It depends.

Natwest has the highest overdraft limit from year dot compared to most (if not all) others. Plus you get a free rail card each year.

BUT, if you are already with a certain banking society, you might get different benefits such as a differing interest rate or something like that.

I'm with Abbey already, but I chose Natwest for the student bank account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bennh)
    It depends.

Natwest has the highest overdraft limit from year dot compared to most (if not all) others. Plus you get a free rail card each year.

BUT, if you are already with a certain banking society, you might get different benefits such as a differing interest rate or something like that.

I'm with Abbey already, but I chose Natwest for the student bank account.
    Bank of Scotland allows you to have up to £3000 in any year subject to status - far more than Natwest.

OP - I'm currently with HSBC and can really recommend them. Brilliant on line service, never bother me even thought I constantly go over my overdraft, never a problem increasing it each year and they're really friendly when you need a hand with anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kexy)
    Bank of Scotland allows you to have up to £3000 in any year subject to status - far more than Natwest.

OP - I'm currently with HSBC and can really recommend them. Brilliant on line service, never bother me even thought I constantly go over my overdraft, never a problem increasing it each year and they're really friendly when you need a hand with anything.
    What freebies do you get with HSBC? lol

ReputationRep:
    Halifax/Bank of Scotland have high overdrafts - didn't really appeal to me as I don't plan on getting into more debt than I have to.

Natwest offers a free railcard - nice incentive if you live far away from uni

There's also a Natwest branch on my campus so I'm going with Natwest but look around and choose whatever's best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest gives uni students a free railcard for 5 years. The railcard gives you 1/3rd off most train tickets, which can be incredibly useful. It usually costs £26 a year to buy, so it's a really good deal.

Otherwise, you need to compare overdrafts and other goodies. Find the bank that gives you a lot of overdraft at 0% interest for as long as possible.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...t-bank-account

Has more info.

ReputationRep:
    I liked Natwest for it's free rail card, wasn't too bothered about the overdraft (if you read the small print you're only allowed so much per term anyway I think?)

I found that there were more Natwest banks and ATMs in town as well, always handy if you like mini statements or need to go in to lodge money or speak to someone.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.