Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I finished my last year of uni in June, have been looking for a job since January and only had my first interview yesterday. Its a job with the nhs, and it sounds really good. Ideal perhaps. The only problem is that I don't drive atm, so it would take 2 and a half hours maybe on publlic transport, until I can drive. By car its no more than 50mins...so I don't know whether I should accept if they offer me the job, simply beceause its good money, I haven't been offered anything else, and its a job I want to do...or turn them down because of the travel...opinions?

ReputationRep:
    That's 5 hours travelling a day?
    Jeeees.
    That would be exhausting!

ReputationRep:
    Well you want it, it is good pay, I guess you should go for it, if you really feel put off by the idea travel or if it will be some time before you can drive, maybe you shouldn't accept it. I had a similar problem, I tried to focus on the plus of having a job and good pay but at one point the long travelling overwhelmed me and caused me not to enjoy the job after awhile...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    Take whatever job you can get, especially if it sounds like a good job, and learn to drive as fast as you can.

ReputationRep:
    move closer to the job if it's really worth it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd take it and learn to drive ASAP, or like thebutterflyeffect said move closer to the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    learn to drive as fast as you can.
    That could be counter-productive when you come to take your test...

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you could try one of those intensive driving courses if you have time before you start? My friend did one and passed in a week, he was driving like 6 hours every day or something i think he said. The one problem with doing one is that you have to have an entire week free, which I guess would be hard to find if you were working....

ReputationRep:
    even if you take the job and pass your driving test it's still 50 minutes there and back, it seems a lot.

ReputationRep:
    You might find someone who can give you a lift when you start. Anyway, take the job and keep looking?

ReputationRep:
    It will be exhausting but to be honest we've got to take anything we can get (within reason). Who knows when the next interview will come. I've only had two this year! Have you started driving lessons yet OP?

ReputationRep:
    Look on lift share websites, meanwhile be learning to drive. It's better that than nothing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smilee172)
    even if you take the job and pass your driving test it's still 50 minutes there and back, it seems a lot.
    50 minutes isn't really that far to commute for a full time job. Would be for a part time/temporary job though.

Personally I would take the job and either learning to drive and getting a car or moving closer to where the job is.

ReputationRep:
    how much would the travelling cost? wouldnt be worth it if its say half you pay per shift
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by dave_chapman)
    That could be counter-productive when you come to take your test...
    :awesome:

I like the ambiguity of that phrase.

ReputationRep:
    At first place take the job.

You know now is very difficult to find a job

ReputationRep:
    Take the job
    Learn how to drive
    If it's that well paid, no doubt by the time you've done both of the following check if someone at work wants to flat/house share closer to work.

ReputationRep:
    Could you not rent a flat nearer to where the job is?

ReputationRep:
    move closer to the job if it's really worth it.
    I honestly can't afford it at the moment, I have less than £100 to my name until i get a job!

Have you started driving lessons yet OP?
    I had 10lessos last summer but had to stop when I went back to uni as I couldn't afford it, I wasn't the most confident driver either...

Perhaps you could try one of those intensive driving courses if you have time before you start?
    That is a good idea but as you say if I get the job I will busy everyday, and I don't have enough money to do so before I start the job.

Argh! I hate waiting for a reply from the company!

ReputationRep:
    Petrol/diseal and car running costs (inc.insurance/tax/mot etc etc.) = quite a lot of cash over a year. Not to mention buying a reliable car.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.