Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was discussing this with some people at work, one girl who is younger than me and two women who are probably late 40's, early 50's whose children are all grown up and gone. What would be your ideal age to start having children and in the event of you not having children what age would you give up? For me ideally i would have my first child at 25, if i didn't manage to get pregnant i would go on a bit longer than i would originally intend to and keep trying til about the age of 45. I think it would be unfair on any child to go on any longer. I know a 4 year old whose mum is 50 and her dad is about 70 and fair enough they wanted a child but i do think it was bit selfish because when she is my age her mum will be an oap and her dad will probably be dead rather than like in my case my mum isn't even out of her 40's and my dad is only just into his 50's. I always wanted and thought it was best to be a young mum so i can still have a fully functional relationship with my children while they are teenagers and young adults. What are your opinions?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what age I get married and obviously on my wife, as well. :p:

But, in an ideal world, I'd say around 26-27.

ReputationRep:
    If I decided I wanted children later on in life i'd try between 25-35.

ReputationRep:
    Late 20's/early 30's

ReputationRep:
    Probably around 24-28

I honestly find it so alien to hear people who are my age (roughly) talking about having/wanting kids so soon. Bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    28-32. I wont be finishing uni anyway until im 29 so couldn't have kids any earlier.

ReputationRep:
    Late 20s ish, depends if then is the right time though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wildcat123)
    I honestly find it so alien to hear people who are my age (roughly) talking about having/wanting kids so soon. Bizarre.
    Your area must be a ****/chav area free zone then. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    id like to start a family in my late twenties/early 30's, and i'll probably look to give up past 45

ReputationRep:
    Late 20s, because of the career I'm going into I'll not have a moment's free time until then.

ReputationRep:
    late 20s proberly early 30s I'm only 20 now but with uni and the career and all the things I want to do In life I won't be having them early!!

ReputationRep:
    When i'm between 30 and 35.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    late 20s/would stop at early 40s. my auntie had been trying for years and years with her husband and finally gave birth to a little girl in her early 40s :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to have my first child when I am 22 - then my second when I'm 24

But when I was younger I always wanted to be married at 18 and have my first child at 19
    - I'm 18 now and not married so I guess I'll wait till in a serious relationship :P:

ReputationRep:
    12-16 realistically.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally, late twenties/early thirties. I wouldn't want to have my first child past about mid-forties though. If I was unable to concieve naturally, I'd want to adopt

ReputationRep:
    28-32 is when I'd like to have my first child. I won't have kids before marriage and I don't see myself getting married any time soon.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting married next year and then we're going to start trying for a family so if everything is ok then I'll be about 27 when I have my first baby. Probably would give up trying at about 35 to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Ideally start having kids mid to late twenties. Stop having them early to mid thirties.

Can't imagine having a kid in 5 years time though. :eek: But hey, who knows what the future holds...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.