Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Was talking about this the other night with my boyfriend. At a very minimum, 23, but I'd carry on until I was probably about 40. My mum was 38 just after she had me, and I've done alright

ReputationRep:
    I want to have children when I'm about 28-35, but there is a little part of me that REALLY REALLY wants a baby now, damn biological clock. Luckily the rational part of me is in control.

ReputationRep:
    Late twenties would be when I'd like to start having children! I'd probably give up by forty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sprite_fright)
    umm.. that is a head scratcher
    i'll be ok with having a child at age 22+ and i'm not having sex before then because of that reason so if i do happen to get pregnant then at least i have a degree behind me.
    Are you Catholic?

ReputationRep:
    1st kid around 30, last at around 45. I don't believe in this trend of being a single parent aged 19. I'd much rather meet my soulmate, get married then make her pop out a couple of kids.

I just don't see why people can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I was discussing this with some people at work, one girl who is younger than me and two women who are probably late 40's, early 50's whose children are all grown up and gone. What would be your ideal age to start having children and in the event of you not having children what age would you give up? For me ideally i would have my first child at 25, if i didn't manage to get pregnant i would go on a bit longer than i would originally intend to and keep trying til about the age of 45. I think it would be unfair on any child to go on any longer. I know a 4 year old whose mum is 50 and her dad is about 70 and fair enough they wanted a child but i do think it was bit selfish because when she is my age her mum will be an oap and her dad will probably be dead rather than like in my case my mum isn't even out of her 40's and my dad is only just into his 50's. I always wanted and thought it was best to be a young mum so i can still have a fully functional relationship with my children while they are teenagers and young adults. What are your opinions?
    Well, I certainly don't want to be like those people who start having kids in their 40's. I really want at the age of 20 or 21..so by the time I'm 30 they're already 10 years old. But at 21 yrs, most people would be in colleges studying so that might be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm depends on when I get married but I know I would def stop at 34/35. My mum had me pretty early and my sister when she was 38 and the difference shows. She hasn't got half the energy she used to. People who think they can cope having babies in their 40's or over are deluding themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    I was discussing this with some people at work, one girl who is younger than me and two women who are probably late 40's, early 50's whose children are all grown up and gone. What would be your ideal age to start having children and in the event of you not having children what age would you give up? For me ideally i would have my first child at 25, if i didn't manage to get pregnant i would go on a bit longer than i would originally intend to and keep trying til about the age of 45. I think it would be unfair on any child to go on any longer. I know a 4 year old whose mum is 50 and her dad is about 70 and fair enough they wanted a child but i do think it was bit selfish because when she is my age her mum will be an oap and her dad will probably be dead rather than like in my case my mum isn't even out of her 40's and my dad is only just into his 50's. I always wanted and thought it was best to be a young mum so i can still have a fully functional relationship with my children while they are teenagers and young adults. What are your opinions?
    When I was younger I knew I wanted kids so if I hadnt met the right person I would try at 30 and if no go still then say look at adoption around 38? I dont think its any good waiting too late because of how bad your eggs get and being such an older parent.

Now I know I have more obstacles so I think Id have a child from the age of 23/24 in a relationship and look into going alone in my late 20s say 28/29 cos even if I got pregnant straight away Id have 9 months so be almost 30 anyway. But it all depends on my circumstances - have my own house/savings/a good job to take maternity leave/support network etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    1st kid around 30, last at around 45. I don't believe in this trend of being a single parent aged 19. I'd much rather meet my soulmate, get married then make her pop out a couple of kids.

I just don't see why people can't wait.
    Lol what a lucky girl.

ReputationRep:
    I want to have my first child at 22/23. Then have a big gap (maybe 7/8 years) so i can take him/her around the world. Then hopefully find someone to settle down with, and have 2 more children in my early thirties.

I'd stop at 35 ish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Where did you get the '1 year' bit from?
    o.O I realised now i misread. first i read it like " I have 4 kids aged 6"

ReputationRep:
    Ideally 22-25 (though if it weren't for wanting to go to uni I'd say about 20). This is because my mum had me at 21 and her mum had her at 19 and I've always liked having a young family and couldn't imagine having kids at an age where I could potentially have been a grandmother (I've always found it weird that some friends have parents the same age as my grandparents). If you care, both my mum and nana were married when they had kids. Also, I like having grandparents and great-grandparents. I definitely wouldn't plan kids after the age of 30.

ReputationRep:
    If i ever happen to change my mind about having children then it would be 30+, anything below is pretty young imho. Although I'd like to adopt.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to be a young mum but that's probably not going to work out with the time I plan to spend at university! Also, any future kids I might have would probably be better off if I'm a bit more mature when having them. At the end of the day, though, it'll all depend on when I'll get married

ReputationRep:
    Ideally, around the age of 36 for my first (only!)

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm 20 now, which means it'd realistically wait until 24 in an ideal world. I can't wait.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want kids but if I do have them I wouldn't want to have them any younger than 33-35 ish.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say 25 at the very earliest and 40 ish at the latest.

ReputationRep:
    After I've made a good enough life to actually support kids.

ReputationRep:
    IF i have kids (which is a big if) i would want to wait as long as my mum did (im the oldest, and she didnt have me till she was in her mid thirties) i doubt i would want kids before 35, i want to live my life and be young and foolish for as long as possible!:woo:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.