Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Urgent- (Liverpool/Soton) Help choosing medical school! (Advice appreciated!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Well, I agree personally. It kind of narrows your curriculum, and when applying for medical school, I feel you need a broad curriculum in order to be a well-rounded person, academically. Doing a 4th A level like history or geography or something requires a different set of skills to those required to do science. Plus, I'd disagree that Further Maths is the hardest A level. It simply isn't. I could have done it if I'd wanted to - a lot of people could have, but at the end of the day, it's narrowing your education.

And of course Cambridge would think it's ridiculous - they're looking for medical scientists in applicants, not doctors.
    Ok, so it narrows down you're curriculum, yet I've done Mechanics and Decision mathematics which I wouldn't have done if I'd done single maths, and it was my fave subject at GCSE which is why I chose it.
    Also, I wanted to do science subjects but didn't do Physics as our physics department is awful at school. I stopped going to class halfway though year 11 and taught it myself.
    Also, my school never told me the 'dangers' of doing F.Maths for medicine, but oh well. I'm happy with my subjects. I've gained skills at GCSE in history, geology, english, french, RE etc..., I feel I don't need to continue those skills when I wanted to continue maths.

PS at the time, my 5th option was going to be Maths at University

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    Ok, so it narrows down you're curriculum, yet I've done Mechanics and Decision mathematics which I wouldn't have done if I'd done single maths, and it was my fave subject at GCSE which is why I chose it.
    Also, I wanted to do science subjects but didn't do Physics as our physics department is awful at school. I stopped going to class halfway though year 11 and taught it myself.
    Also, my school never told me the 'dangers' of doing F.Maths for medicine, but oh well. I'm happy with my subjects. I've gained skills at GCSE in history, geology, english, french, RE etc..., I feel I don't need to continue those skills when I wanted to continue maths.

PS at the time, my 5th option was going to be Maths at University
    Decision is hardly maths though, is it? :p: I'm just saying it's different in that there is a right or wrong answer in the sciences and... doing loads of past papers will prepare you adequately for the exams. In other words, do loads of past papers and you'll do well in the real thing because it's sufficiently similar.

Now in subjects like english and history, you have to think on your feet more in the exam, like in history, to recall vast amounts of information whilst structuring a coherent and fluent argument. You come across an unexpected question and you think about it there and then and you do it. In maths, you walk in, see a question - you know how to do it, and you do it whilst trying to avoid silly mistakes. Biology is a complete memory exercise. And chem and other subjects... well, you either know the answer or you don't - you can't express your individuality etc... And to be fair, GCSE was a doss, so the skills you gain from those subjects aren't really that great - especially as history was just a 4,6,10 exercise and not proper essay writing in timed conditions.

Just my view anyway. Plus, if you wanted to do medicine before, you should have researched your stuff on the internet and seen what A levels medical schools wanted before picking your A level subjects, surely? How else can you pick your A level subjects? Ah nevermind, you may have slightly bolstered your chances at Cambridge, and for the BMAT S1 and S2, but you'll need to do some work for S3.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, I know what you're saying. But I did research it. All the books I read said, Biology, Chemistry and Maths or Physics. Also, only Edinburgh mention it in prospectus, and I don't want to go there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex p)
    yeah, liverpool have the high callibre of students who take a stab in the dark and go for the poorer uni rather than asking others opinions who have experience of both unis
    Who here has experience of both Unis? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 19becky91)
    yeah, I know what you're saying. But I did research it. All the books I read said, Biology, Chemistry and Maths or Physics. Also, only Edinburgh mention it in prospectus, and I don't want to go there anyway.
    Broadly speaking, apart from Oxbridge which are wierd, all medical schools pretty much look for the same thing but in different ways. And you'll find no books will mention further maths and the websites of many medical schools will state they count maths and f-maths as one subject. No worries anyway, what's done is done - just warn the lower years.

And whatever happens, you're guaranteed Birmingham - but trust me, you don't want to end up there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    Broadly speaking, apart from Oxbridge which are wierd, all medical schools pretty much look for the same thing but in different ways. And you'll find no books will mention further maths and the websites of many medical schools will state they count maths and f-maths as one subject. No worries anyway, what's done is done - just warn the lower years.

And whatever happens, you're guaranteed Birmingham - but trust me, you don't want to end up there.
    Yeah, when I've spoken to the other uni's they've said there accept me with F.Maths as long as I continue Bio and Chem.

Why not Birmingham? I really liked it. Accommodation was good, perfect distance from home. The only problem I can see with it, is that it doesn't do dissection.

Oh, yeah, when I told my school, they were in complete shock. They'd never heard of the F.Maths problem before. I could always drop F.Maths now, settle for an A level in Maths and pick up another As. But I don't want to do that just for the universities.

Also, I only did 4 As rather than 5 because of all my sports and volunteering, if I'd done 5 I'd be dead by now. I do at least 3 hours of volunteering a week, play hockey for 4 hours, run Journal Club, am on the student council, and do CSLA and Step into Sports! I just prefer maths to subjects like French and English, though I do miss Political History, and was really sad to drop it I was really tempted to do History as a 5th, but no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    These are only for final year.

For third year you will either be in Southampton, Winchester or Portsmouth. And the same for fourth year (and you only have about 8 weeks of attachments in 4th year).

I have nothing against liverpool (apart from its far from my granny's house) but if it is about money then you have to balance the more expensive cost of living down south with the fact that you get an extra qualification in Southampton for the same amount of time.

I wanted to apply to liverpool when I was younger, but that was when I didn't understand what PBL was and just wanted to get as far away from London as I could :o:
    --------------------------------------

Thank you all for your responses! I have passed on your advice to my friend, but in the meantime will keep watching this thread to see if new advice is given.

In response to Sarky's post-
    - Do you/ does anyone have any information on the attachment weeks for Liverpool? (where and how long)?
    - Is PBL always seen as a negative part of the course? As in, do most students find it useful/ not (the attitude in this thread seems to suggest it is an unwelcome part of the course.)

Thanks again!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Who here has experience of both Unis? :erm:

considering the size of the forum im sure theres someone that has been to both on open days let alone studied at both. transfers arent that uncommon

ReputationRep:
    considering the size of the forum im sure theres someone that has been to both on open days let alone studied at both. transfers arent that uncommon
    Open days are pretty much irrelevant, as it's hardly an everyday experience of the Uni.

And show me someone who has studied at both Medical schools.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnyofengland)
    Open days are pretty much irrelevant, as it's hardly an everyday experience of the Uni.

And show me someone who has studied at both Medical schools.

thats like saying show me the composition of the earths core.

theres 260000 tsr members, prove to me none of them have been to both

ReputationRep:
    thats like saying show me the composition of the earths core.

theres 260000 tsr members, prove to me none of them have been to both
    Hardly. If you were an active member in that position, you would likely have an interest in the Medicine forum. If you were in that position and saw this thread, I think it's fair to say you would leave a comment. But I don't think anyone was in that position, as from what I know and what I have seen, transfers are pretty rare (admittedly, I don't know that much about it, nor do I have any firsthand experience, but I've never seen anyone who has transferred medical schools). Whereas you say they aren't uncommon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stormcloud)
    --------------------------------------

Thank you all for your responses! I have passed on your advice to my friend, but in the meantime will keep watching this thread to see if new advice is given.

In response to Sarky's post-
    - Do you/ does anyone have any information on the attachment weeks for Liverpool? (where and how long)?
    - Is PBL always seen as a negative part of the course? As in, do most students find it useful/ not (the attitude in this thread seems to suggest it is an unwelcome part of the course.)

Thanks again!:p:
    PBL isn't necessarily negative, its a very personal thing. The best thing to base it on is research and what you feel best accomodates your strengths or would offer you the best learning experience.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.