Turn on thread page Beta

Thinking the unthinkable; Reassessing the BNP! watch

ReputationRep:
    is a strong desire to control your cultural life and experiences according to some arbitrarily constructed ideal of what British life should be and it's not pretty.
    Sounds like a new-labour social engineering project!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seven_Three)
    Lol you are mental. Is it debatable that you are overreacting? Just maybe it is.
    Why are you laughing? You patently misunderstood what I said. I am not overreacting. What I am saying is that some people think the BNP would commit muderous attrocities if they formed Government, not that I personally think it is true because, of course, there is very little evidence that the BNP have such an agenda.

However there is evidence that shows how the BNP suggest blacks are inferior to White Brits. So it was silly to waste my time and your time by asking me why I think the BNP believe in the superiority of the white race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Yes i do.

There are many different ways to debate effectively. How about you try to counter what Oswy is arguing rather than how he is arguing.

Or maybe you can't.
    Actually, I thought that's exactly what Severn_Three was doing. He made a very good point if you ask me, and I think you'll find you only think otherwise because you sympathise with Owsy's communist beliefs. You're basing your judgement on your prior political leanings rather than what's said in the actual debate.

What Severn_Three said:

(Original post by Seven_Three)
    Well I was giving a reply to him, not trying to open debate, I would have been more thorough if I was. I know how this game goes and I know how people like Oswy try to play it, it isn't very interesting or enlightening (much like the people who play it that way). It is more of a manipulative game with them, notice how he talks about neo-nazis outside a synagoge when discussing freedom of expression. Ask yourself, is this supposed to be condusive to serious rational and academic debate, or to push people to a conclusion through emotive imagry? It is not, it is more emotive rubbish to 'win' people over, this is the reason he is so smarmy and ingratiating. This game people like Oswy play is about controlling peoples imagaination, not rationally making a case for or against. You think I am wrong here?
    I've highlighted the main thrust of what I think is Severn_Three's argument.

It is of no more relevance to bring neo-Nazis saluting outside synagogues into a discussion about the BNP than it is to bring the Gulags and the NKVD Stalinist thought police into a discussion about UAF or any of the UK's communist groupings.

And let us not forget that the UAF have waved flags of the Hammer and Sickle, the symbol of Stalin's totalitarian USSR, during their rallies and gatherings as well as employing similar politically violent tactics to attempt to silence their opponants.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7943556.stm

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 21, 2009
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.