Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I was wondering if anyone could please help me out.
    My laptop (dell) accidently fell on the floor and suddenly it looked like the screen had cracked bt when i touched it i realised it was inside the screen.
    The entire screen cannot be seen anymore, just massive cracks and different colours.
    If i turn it off (by removing the battery) and on again the same thing comes up.

Is it possible to fix this? will it be expensive? most importantly can i get all my stuff back like my documents?? i had important things on there

thanks
    any help/advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys
    I was wondering if anyone could please help me out.
    My laptop (dell) accidently fell on the floor and suddenly it looked like the screen had cracked bt when i touched it i realised it was inside the screen.
    The entire screen cannot be seen anymore, just massive cracks and different colours.
    If i turn it off (by removing the battery) and on again the same thing comes up.

Is it possible to fix this? will it be expensive? most importantly can i get all my stuff back like my documents?? i had important things on there

thanks
    any help/advice would be appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Good thing you have warranty on it then seeing you're going to need to get it replaced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gamer99)
    Good thing you have warranty on it then seeing you're going to need to get it replaced.
    Warranty is not going to cover this. I assume you don't have Dell's accidental protection?

I'll probably cost about £300-£350 to fix. My ex gf broke her screen accidentally, and they claimed on the insurance though. Try that.

To get your stuff off, use a VGA/DVI cable to connect it to a monitor and use it as normal. Chances are the HDD is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you damaged anything else other than the screen when you dropped it, the laptop should run as normal except you won't be able to see anything. If you have a monitor from another pc, you can connect it to the laptop.

As for fixing it, it will cost a lot to get the screen replaced. I think around £300+. It's not going to be covered under factory warranty either unless you have accidental damage cover.

ReputationRep:
    You could attempt to buy a new laptop screen and install it onto your current machine. Try http://www.lcds4less.co.uk/ , but honestly, there's plenty of places that sell 'em.

ReputationRep:
    You'll still have your documents and everything on there. You'll probably have to find someone to extract them for you though.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the replies everyone
    i dont think i have any damage cover, insurance or warranty as my laptop is like 3-4 yrs old
    i think il just need to get a new laptop as fixing the screen will cost too much
    im gnna need to get the stuff off it though and i think il connnect it to another monitor to do that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidona)
    You could attempt to buy a new laptop screen and install it onto your current machine. Try http://www.lcds4less.co.uk/ , but honestly, there's plenty of places that sell 'em.
    thats an interesting option! and not too expensive as buying a new laptop
    it costs 60 pounds to get a dell screen the same size as mine... bt how would i fit it onto my laptop if i order it? also will it look odd from the rest of my laptop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsP)
    thats an interesting option! and not too expensive as buying a new laptop
    it costs 60 pounds to get a dell screen the same size as mine... bt how would i fit it onto my laptop if i order it? also will it look odd from the rest of my laptop?
    There are plenty of online guides on how to do it - what's your model make?

And it shouldn't, if it's the same screen as you've currently got.

ReputationRep:
    Something like this happened to my laptop (it was a Dell too). Most likely it's just the screen that's broken and not anything else. There's really no way to fix it, other than getting the screen replaced, which can be fairly expensive. When I called Dell to ask how much it would be, they said around US$ 500. I just ended up getting a new laptop.

Hopefully, nothing else is damaged, so you should be able to get all your documents. Try hooking up your laptop to an external monitor or a TV, and that way you'll be able to see the laptop screen and get your files. If nothing else is damaged, you can probably continue to use the laptop as a desktop (i.e. hooked up to an external monitor).

Good luck with this! I hope it works out!

ReputationRep:
    Well sounds to me like you just need to replace the screen. Look on ebay for a screen replacement if you want one cheap, mine cost £60. Then either get a service manual and replace it yourself or find a store/tech savvy mate you trust to fit it for you.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that it's quite a complicated thing to do and involves taking a lot of the laptop apart. If you were going to buy one you should get a pro to do it for you. It's just that these people like to charge a fortune to do it. I got charged £45 just to replace a power port on my laptop only a week ago

ReputationRep:
    you can get an LCD panel on ebay from £60-100.
    dell have service manuals on their site, and tell you how to replace it

ReputationRep:
    Help my laptop scran has got lines down ot and it's lots of different colours what do I do and will it be expensive to repair ???

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.