Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Try living in London....and then you can say a place is rough. And I'm from South East London...so yeah..Plymouth seems quiet to me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hermy)
    Try living in London....and then you can say a place is rough. And I'm from South East London...so yeah..Plymouth seems quite to me!

*walks into topic*

Yeah, south east London representing....I say this with all sincerity..... braap braap.

Where abouts in South East? I'm Lewisham myself... well Brockley technically...

Plymouth.... safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, etc.....:woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpdaduck)
    *walks into topic*

Yeah, south east London representing....I say this with all sincerity..... braap braap.

Where abouts in South East? I'm Lewisham myself... well Brockley technically...

Plymouth.... safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, safe, etc.....:woo: :woo: :woo:

lols Lee green!!!

Down the round...I work in greenwich!

ReputationRep:
    Just avoid those dodgy looken guys on the street and you'll be fine. It seems most of the drunks want to start, just leave em' alone

ReputationRep:
    Having lived in plymouth (well saltash but just over the bridge) since I was 8, I would say as cities go it's fairly safe. However there are some dodgy areas, but you'll soon figure out which ones these are, and so long as you stay in a group you should be fine.

Not to say that there's no crime and you should be totally careless with your stuff or anything. One interesting/scary fact that some visiting police type woman told us is plymouth has one of the highest rates of male rape in the country :eek:

Beyond that, people down here can be a bit ignorant and rascist too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkFlamingo19)
    Hey I live in Plymouth! As people are saying above, Union Street used to have a bad reputation due to sailors etc coming in alot and the naval base being active, but now it just attracts some more chavier types - it is just the rougher clubbing side of the city. Oceana is in a leisure park just outside of the city centre, on the other side of the city centre to union street, and is a safe area with restaurants, the cinema and a gym in the same complex. The studenty area and the city centre are very safe, the very rare fights I have witnessed have had bouncers immediately on the case and police there within seconds - but as I said this is rare.
    The North Hill student area I went to school on the same road and have had many nights out there - its very safe and has a very friendly feel.

Plymouth is the same as any other city - some clubs are bound to attract the drunks, more aggressive types, but avoid Union Street and you'll be absolutely fine It is a poorer city - but it is friendly and the student night out areas have a real community feel about them Dont worry about it!
    You went to Plymouth High? :O *high five*

Yeah North Hill/Mutley is fine, only place to avoid really is anywhere west of Union Street, and Swilly/Laira/Efford/places right on the outskirts maybe. I've never had anything happen to me apart from the time I was punched outside the Canadian Muffin Shop in the dead centre of town at 5pm on a Sunday... and needless to say don't go around Central Park after dark, I know someone that got mugged and had his ribs broken :| Aside from that it's like any other town, they all have a couple of bad spots, just be sensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antwerpen)
    Plymouth is rough,
    I com from Croydon, so this really would be saying a lot to me.

I hear things about union street but Ill tell you more tomorrow, as I'm headed that way tonight.

As for mutley plain: I live near there

(Im not a plymouth student, im just living in plymouth trying to find some work )

See you around, TSRians

ReputationRep:
    Plymouth a massive dump uni is the only nice part go to west plymouth lol

ReputationRep:
    West plymouth is **** especailly swilly devonport union street west park honickknowle stoke village is ropey at the best of times then u got the outscurts like whitley southway all pritty rough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PLYMOUTH LAD)
    Plymouth a massive dump uni is the only nice part go to west plymouth lol
    So.. you'll be part of the other 'uni' that is a whole 6 places from the bottom of uni league tables then.

Also you are Necroposting a 4 and a half year old thread, good going for your only posts being completely non-constructive and being completely incapable of reading the date on the last post.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Plymouth University resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.