The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by flavius1
well if u r talking about AS..i got only 3a and 1b (econs only at as)

my predicted grad is A*(bio)AA

my gsce 10A* and 2A

so hows that? is that considered an amazing grade or just normal?

gosh im so freaking worried..all my friends seem getting at least one of their interview offer

you got your interview from aberdeen already?!! awesome! =)

im so jealous..

Those are considered pretty awesome grades really :smile: May still be in with a change at Edinburgh - but as I'm not applying there I really don't know their admissions process apart from they don't interview so they'll have to go on reference and personal statement I guess - a lot more than other as they don't have an interview to go off.
There's still a good two months for Universities to get in touch, I wouldn't be worried yet!
Original post by sd004
hi , can someone please advice me on a matter which has really got me confused, for A2 i want to drop a subject and its between maths and R.S(philosophy and ethics) i really enjoy R.S, even more then maths ive got an A for maths and r.s but i was wondering if i applied next year with biology chemistry and R.S as opposed to maths chemistry and biology would this put me at any disadvantages

Nowhere asks for maths - so it won't make a difference what subjects what you take - I guess if there were two identical applicants but the other one had Maths and you had RS they may favour the Maths applicant - but also RS is a contrasting subject which could be quite useful for Medicine - it's not like it's IT which really has no relevance.
I guess what I'm saying is either way it won't make a difference - I imagine Maths would be FAR less work - may be able to get an A* ... Up to you!! Good Luck
Hey did anyone apply to King's College London? Cause I haven't heard anything from them since my aknowledgment... Should I just count this as a rejection? After all it is April...
Original post by MarieTree

Original post by MarieTree
Hey did anyone apply to King's College London? Cause I haven't heard anything from them since my aknowledgment... Should I just count this as a rejection? After all it is April...

They're giving out interviews until firday, afterwards then expect a rejection.
Reply 2844
Original post by sd004
hi , can someone please advice me on a matter which has really got me confused, for A2 i want to drop a subject and its between maths and R.S(philosophy and ethics) i really enjoy R.S, even more then maths ive got an A for maths and r.s but i was wondering if i applied next year with biology chemistry and R.S as opposed to maths chemistry and biology would this put me at any disadvantages

wouldn't put you at a disadvantage at all, if anything it makes your application stand out, many unis like contrasting subjects, RS is a good one because it ties in very well with the ethics side of medicine. You'd have a lot more imaginative and ungeneric things to write on your PS if you studied RS as opposed to maths, everyone always says stuff like maths helped you develop your analytic/problem solving/logic skills...bla bla bla, so boring. (English is my third a level btw)
Original post by BeekieBoo
Nowhere asks for maths - so it won't make a difference what subjects what you take - I guess if there were two identical applicants but the other one had Maths and you had RS they may favour the Maths applicant - but also RS is a contrasting subject which could be quite useful for Medicine - it's not like it's IT which really has no relevance.
I guess what I'm saying is either way it won't make a difference - I imagine Maths would be FAR less work - may be able to get an A* ... Up to you!! Good Luck

Some places do... imperial, oxford want either physics or maths and not sure about cambridge and im sure there are other unis. Also, i dont think they'd favour the maths applicant.
Original post by Craydot

Some places do... imperial, oxford want either physics or maths and not sure about cambridge and im sure there are other unis. Also, i dont think they'd favour the maths applicant.

Physics OR Maths, so you don't have to have maths. There are alternative ways to get 3 sciences - which is what some people look for.
Original post by Craydot
wouldn't put you at a disadvantage at all, if anything it makes your application stand out, many unis like contrasting subjects, RS is a good one because it ties in very well with the ethics side of medicine. You'd have a lot more imaginative and ungeneric things to write on your PS if you studied RS as opposed to maths, everyone always says stuff like maths helped you develop your analytic/problem solving/logic skills...bla bla bla, so boring. (English is my third a level btw)

some Cambridge colleges such as Magdalene ask for maths
Reply 2847
Original post by BeekieBoo
Physics OR Maths, so you don't have to have maths. There are alternative ways to get 3 sciences - which is what some people look for.

yeah, but that poster doesnt have physics, so if they were thinking oxford they'd have to do maths.
Results soon guys, best of luck :biggrin:
heyy can anybody help my teacher suggested i go to an epoc medicine conference, but it's £89 and would be expensive to get there, do you think it would be worth it???

Quick Reply