Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 years old and about to go into my 2nd year of sixthform. As i want to pursue a career in law and therefore am about to apply for a law degree at a university (though which university is still undecided) i was told that to do this it would be highly beneficial for me to gain some work experience at law firms or shaddow a barrister for around a week, or atleast a few days throughout my summer holidays so therefore July or August this year.

I have tried sending out letters to law firms and phoning clerks and courts but so far i have been unsuccessful as most work experience for those dates are either taken up or are for only over 18 year olds.

So i am wondering whether anyone has any advice or contacts. Thanks
    :woo:

Hey i'll be the same age as you NOW and in the same position looking for work experience prefrebly shadowing this summer, only i'm not doing a law degree but am following advice and converting after doing a degree in biomed.

Thought i'd ask if you had any luck securing any work experience last summer or this summer or if you had any tips!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pegas92)
    I am 17 years old and about to go into my 2nd year of sixthform. As i want to pursue a career in law and therefore am about to apply for a law degree at a university (though which university is still undecided) i was told that to do this it would be highly beneficial for me to gain some work experience at law firms or shaddow a barrister for around a week, or atleast a few days throughout my summer holidays so therefore July or August this year.

I have tried sending out letters to law firms and phoning clerks and courts but so far i have been unsuccessful as most work experience for those dates are either taken up or are for only over 18 year olds.

So i am wondering whether anyone has any advice or contacts. Thanks
    :woo:

Read and digest ALL of this:

http://pupillageandhowtogetit.blogspot.com/

If you're definitely intent on law I recommend you also read:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Glanville-Wi...1276403&sr=8-1

Unfortunately, you should also be made aware of how difficult a career in this field is. Training contracts/pupillages are more or less a rarity now. Especially if you wish to enter the bar you will need to have excellent credentials behind you i.e preferably Oxbridge (1st class) or another first rate institution in law as well as a rounded cv mini pupillages and strong performance on your Bar exams.

Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.