Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where is nice in the Carribean? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, me and my parents haven't had a family holiday in years and we're thinking of going to the carribean, can anyone suggest nice areas that fulfill many if not all of the following criteria?

-safe swimming
    -not too busy
    -no sharks/jellyfish/crab people
    -decent law enforcement
    -bounteous beauty

if you have had any nice experiences, please share we'd appreciate it a lot

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hec)
    Hello, me and my parents haven't had a family holiday in years and we're thinking of going to the carribean, can anyone suggest nice areas that fulfill many if not all of the following criteria?

-safe swimming
    -not too busy
    -no sharks/jellyfish/crab people
    -decent law enforcement
    -bounteous beauty

if you have had any nice experiences, please share we'd appreciate it a lot

thanks
    Definitely not Dominican Republic...its like Spain in the Caribbean. Try Cuba, Jamaica or Antigua. I'm hoping to go to Cuba next year.

ReputationRep:
    It's in France, actually, as far as I'm aware.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    It's in France, actually, as far as I'm aware.
    What is?

ReputationRep:
    antigua.

Ive been on two cruises around carribean..

My favourite was St. Maarten (not spelt wrong)

X

ReputationRep:
    Jamaica!!

ReputationRep:
    Yes Jamaica is AWESOME. I hope to head there towards the end of Summer. Barbados too, very popular with British people.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore all the bad press and check jamaica out. It isn't too busy at this time of year and meets most of your other criteria.

ReputationRep:
    all of you saying jamaica is awesome... what part of jamaica did you actually go to? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    in fact, let me guess - the north coast of jamaica?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elziebelzie)
    all of you saying jamaica is awesome... what part of jamaica did you actually go to? :lolwut:
    I was in Kingston for 6 weeks and then travelled around the island, why where have you been?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I was in Kingston for 6 weeks and then travelled around the island, why where have you been?
    do you really think jamaica fits the OP's criteria? i'd say the north coast does, as in ocho rios but apart from that - no way. i've been all over jamaica many times (family live there) and a lot of it is very dangerous and not tourist friendly in the slighest. especially if you are white. OP do not go to kingston or spanish town or anywhere like that. if you do decide to go to jamaica, stick with ocho rios.

ReputationRep:
    do you really think jamaica fits the OP's criteria? i'd say the north coast does, as in ocho rios but apart from that - no way. i've been all over jamaica many times (family live there) and a lot of it is very dangerous and not tourist friendly in the slighest. especially if you are white. OP do not go to kingston or spanish town or anywhere like that. if you do decide to go to jamaica, stick with ocho rios.
    I can't see that I suggested Kingston Or Spanish Town or anywhere remotely dangerous. Didn't recommend anywhere specific actually.

Have you been to Negril? That beach is absolutely gorgeous. The tourist police in the built up tourist areas i.e. the north coast are very good and there isn't much crime assoicated with those areas. Montego Bay was lovely when we were there too, lots of "white" people around because of the american cruise ships.

It is not overly busy right now, has good aquatic life and all the rest of it so why not? There are other caribbean islands that also meet the OPs criteria. Jamaica is just one.

ReputationRep:
    don't go to Jamaica, you're gonna get shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I can't see that I suggested Kingston Or Spanish Town or anywhere remotely dangerous. Didn't recommend anywhere specific actually.

Have you been to Negril? That beach is absolutely gorgeous. The tourist police in the built up tourist areas i.e. the north coast are very good and there isn't much crime assoicated with those areas. Montego Bay was lovely when we were there too, lots of "white" people around because of the american cruise ships.

It is not overly busy right now, has good aquatic life and all the rest of it so why not? There are other caribbean islands that also meet the OPs criteria. Jamaica is just one.
    like i said, i've been all over the island so yes i've been to negril and montego bay, mandeville, port antonio, portmore, alligator pond etc etc etc.
    there is crime associated with the whole of jamaica. it has one of the highest murder rates in the world and one of the OPs criteria involved safety so that would be my reason for not suggesting jamaica.

ReputationRep:
    like i said, i've been all over the island so yes i've been to negril and montego bay, mandeville, port antonio, portmore, alligator pond etc etc etc.
    there is crime associated with the whole of jamaica. it has one of the highest murder rates in the world and one of the OPs criteria involved safety so that would be my reason for not suggesting jamaica.
    I'm not naive enough to pretend there isn't crime in Jamaica, but the tourist areas are nothing like the rest of the island for crime.

I don't think we're gonna agree but I understand what you're saying.

ReputationRep:
    try ST KITTS its a small and exclusive island and british airways fly direct there. (roughly an hour and a half drive around the whole islan) its beautiful and quite historical. people are warm and welcoming and this is the island many americans seem to choose. a cruise ship goes in every few days and this is when local markets are open etc..been every summer for the last 4 years and i am returning in 2weeks. St kitts is a twin island with Nevis - just as beautiful and you can do a boat/day trip. currency is the EC dollar and its basically /5 (EC100 = £20)
    I found the people in antigua quite cold and not very welcoming, however they do have 365beaches (1 for every day of the year) they also have a mosquito problem. never been to jamaica but my sister went to kingston and loved it, she did however stay within the resort but you unlikely to get shot a other people have commented. also st maarten and st vincent are lovely private islands that arnt to touristy but have a lot to offer!!!

ReputationRep:
    My friend highly recommended the Cayman Islands.

Colombia.

They have a fantastically low kidnap rate.

ReputationRep:
    Avoid Jamaice. The hotels close down at 10 and the armed security guards move in.
    Barbados is very pro brit, safe to use public transport, drive around. It's good coz the beaches are publice so you get to mix with the locals. Beautiful beaches, safe water. Loads of watersports, cultural shows etc.
    Antigua is undeveloped, people are really friendly. No so easy to travel around the island.
    St. Lucia is beautiful, no infrastructure to talk of.
    The Grenadines - VERY undeveloped.

I've heard that Tobago is stunning but haven't been so don't know.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.