Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would he have a good chance competing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Alright folks, a mate of mines asked me to look into this for him, one of the guys at the gym noticed him lifting and said he was doing some good lifts for his size and has he ever thought about competing?

He's quite a reserved type and just shrugged it off but asked me afterwards about it. Just wondering if how he'd fare if he did compete?

I have no idea where to start looking so thought some of you might be able to help.

He's 20 in 2 months, weighs 83kg, lifts;

Benchpress ; hasnt tried 1 rep max but managed 3 reps at 111kg
    Deadlift ; 220kg 1 rep
    Squat; 185kg 1 rep

Any ideas?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, that's around the level you'd expect PL'ers at his age/weight to be at.

ReputationRep:
    He sounds pretty strong. He certainly wouldn't embarass himself competing with those lifts at his age and weight.

EDIT: Having looked at a recent post of his, I see that burningnun's raw lifts are similar (lower bench but higher squat than your friend) and he's competed in the 82.5kg category.

ReputationRep:
    Nice one, cheers folks. I'll have a look at burningnuns blog.

Not sure if he will go for it as he's quite shy about it all, but it would be pretty good if he did!

ReputationRep:
    Get him signed up, BN could use the competition!

ReputationRep:
    Quite clearly, he wouldn't be laughed out of a meet. Although I sincerely doubt anyone not by the name of Big J.T Willie Hall would.

But he will actually have to want to compete, from the sounds of it, he doesn't seem very set on the idea. And whilst I haven't competed in a powerlifting competition, it is not a massive assumption to say it requires a fair amount of dedication and sacrifice.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of places do amateur contests, so i see why not. does he do any stuff like clean and jerk?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.