Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mischa Barton placed under 'involuntary psychiatric hold' Watch

ReputationRep:

Mischa Barton has been placed under 'involuntary psychiatric hold' in a Los Angeles hospital, according to a U.S. report. A source close to the situation told U.S. TV show Access Hollywood the actress was held under Section 5150 of the California Welfare and Institutions Code - the same code which hospitalised Britney Spears twice in 2008. The section stipulates authorities can hold a person against their will for up to 72 hours if they present a danger to themselves or others, are gravely disabled or suffer from a mental disorder.

Only two weeks ago, the actress was thrown of out the ladies toilets of London nightclub Whisky Mist. She was stopped by the toilet attendant as she tried to bring one of her friends into the cubicle with her. An eyewitness said: 'Mischa looked really p***ed off and embarrassed.' When she eventually went into another alone, she took so long that the attendant had to check to see if she was ok, the eyewitness adding that she 'looked slightly worse for wear' when she eventually emerged.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...cal-issue.html

ReputationRep:
    I hope she gets better

ReputationRep:
    Saw it on Perez... poor Mushy.

ReputationRep:
    Who?

ReputationRep:
    She looks awful. Glad to see she's on her way out.

ReputationRep:
    Spawn of Joey Barton?

ReputationRep:
    That photo makes her look so different, it's unreal o.O

ReputationRep:
    Damn she looks awful. Hope she gets better soon.

Damn that photo is scary.

I could've sworn involuntary commital statutes were ruled unconstitutional when the individual is only a threat to themselves, though...

ReputationRep:
    My life is now over

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear. The frequency that these sorts of situations happen in Hollywood these days is so sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Damn that photo is scary.

I could've sworn involuntary commital statutes were ruled unconstitutional when the individual is only a threat to themselves, though...
    It could be argued that the legality of suicide is one of constitutional debate, so I suppose this could be part of the evidence they needed to do so perhaps.

Is this like the US equivalent of being Sectioned under the Mental Health Act in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    But she was so pretty
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Man, she got fat.

ReputationRep:
    She's so reliving The O.C.

ReputationRep:
    She looks like Pete Doherty just with longer hair...

ReputationRep:
    She has a slight Amy Winehouse look about her at the moment. I guess this just shows the toll the Hollywood/celebrity lifestyle can have on a person (first Britney now Mischa Barton).
    I loved her in the OC and I hope she gets well soon

x

(Original post by Treben)
    It could be argued that the legality of suicide is one of constitutional debate, so I suppose this could be part of the evidence they needed to do so perhaps.

Is this like the US equivalent of being Sectioned under the Mental Health Act in the UK?
    Basically, yeah, it's like being sectioned. The difference is that in the States the Supreme Court ruled in the '70s that to detain a mentally ill person against their will for anything more than a very short period is a violation of their 5th and 14th Amendment right to due process if they don't present a danger to others, so you can't section someone for anything more than a week at most if they're just suicidal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    She looks awful. Glad to see she's on her way out.
    don;t think she is ready to cark it just yet!

I saw her on tv a while ago, presenting something and she looked awful then. Hope she gets better soonies though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.