Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to do something thats going to make a difference before im gone.

ive started small, my plan is to talk to children in secondary schools about things i wish someone told me (someone who wasnt a teacher or parent)

like a real sex education - relationships, being parents etc

but how and can i make a big difference being nobody?

ReputationRep:
    Volunteer, try St John's Ambulance if you like hands on stuff or work in a charity store if not.

I admire your sentiment by the way, if a little vague.

ReputationRep:
    Donate blood. This is a small effort that makes a big difference. I donate my (premium grade) blood as often as I can.

ReputationRep:
    Ive also volunteered to do some work for the samaritans but i still feel like its not a big enough scale. i feel like the masses need to change their mentality but i dont know how to speak about it or help on a big scale.

(what do you mean by a little vague?)

ReputationRep:
    I found volunteering to be a worthwhile and rewarding use of my non-school hours. Here's a good place to start:
    www.vinspired.com
    Also maybe get yourself a donor card.

ReputationRep:
    The only way to really make the big difference you seem to be after is to tow the line, get into a position of power, then make a big change for the better. Unfortunatly that is extreamly hard as there will be alot of people trying to get there as well and even if you do trying to stop you and you may risk your career and it's probably a lifes work. But thats what the people who make a big difference do.

For now tho as people have said, you can give blood, put yourself on the organ donor register, volenteer etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markus_09_)
    (what do you mean by a little vague?)
    I mean, what do you want to achieve? Do you have a particular goal? Is this a during school thing or a whole life thing? Would you be willing to become a politician and try to change the masses' attitude or a doctor or a civil rights lawyer? That would be the way to make the biggest difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    I mean, what do you want to achieve? Do you have a particular goal? Is this a during school thing or a whole life thing? Would you be willing to become a politician and try to change the masses' attitude or a doctor or a civil rights lawyer? That would be the way to make the biggest difference.
    im going to university in sept. so its not a during school thing. what do i want to achieve? i want a safer happier place for my daughter to grow up in. all the occupations youve named above dont get listened to by the youth. which is why i feel disbodent about trying to make a difference because knowone will listen if what your saying is going agaisnt the majoirty.

ReputationRep:
    im going to university in sept. so its not a during school thing. what do i want to achieve? i want a safer happier place for my daughter to grow up in. all the occupations youve named above dont get listened to by the youth. which is why i feel disbodent about trying to make a difference because knowone will listen if what your saying is going agaisnt the majoirty.
    Ah, the youth. Good luck with that, they don't tend to listen to anyone. Join the police?

ReputationRep:
    Volunteering in hospitals to sit with people, who just want to talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyche05)
    Ah, the youth. Good luck with that, they don't tend to listen to anyone. Join the police?
    ive had them listen to me because i come from where they are ive been through what they go through but i want to help on a bigger scale. the police dont have no respect, you see my dilema. you cant be a nobody and tell an entire generation but you cant be have a respected occupation and be listened to.

ReputationRep:
    ive had them listen to me because i come from where they are ive been through what they go through but i want to help on a bigger scale. the police dont have no respect, you see my dilema. you cant be a nobody and tell an entire generation but you cant be have a respected occupation and be listened to.
    I see your problem... if I think of a solution I'll let you know

ReputationRep:
    Donate blood, become a volunteer - help the community etc.

ReputationRep:
    You can help make a difference by joining the groups of workers/volenteers already trying to make a difference. If you want to be listened to by the youth, be a youth worker and go on from there. Surely you already know this, what do you want us to say?

ReputationRep:
    ive started small, my plan is to talk to children in secondary schools about things i wish someone told me (someone who wasnt a teacher or parent)

like a real sex education - relationships, being parents etc

but how and can i make a big difference being nobody?

Figure out what you want to say, and then write up a pitch explaining what it is and who you are, and send it to your local schools volunteering to do an assembly. It'll probably help if you have a CRB.

You could also film yourself giving the talk and post it up on youtube, etc. if people like it they'll forward it to their friends.

Other ways you could get involved could be via a student mentoring scheme or by becoming a school governor.

ReputationRep:
    Become a doctor. :borat:

Or contact your local voluntary service.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with being a nobody? A nobody can have an effect on someone's life too.

You're looking at it the wrong way. Most people who achieved something were nobodies at some point, but they came up with an idea and worked hard to achieve it.

I agree with people who say volunteering. vinspired is a good site. If you have a proposal written up for a project you want to set up to change things, then there are organisations that can help you with funding, vinspired being one of them. When I was at Chain Reaction last year, I was struck by and inspired by how "nobodies" managed to make a difference in their communities through setting up projects that tackled the problems in their areas.

I'd also agree with the filming suggestion. Sites like youtube, and the internet at large, will give you and your message access to millions of people.

Just out of curiosity, what exactly do you want to help with? There's so many issues out there, but which are close to your heart? What's your passion?

I'm a bit tired, so I hope that made sense.

ReputationRep:
    Dude if you want to change the ******* world go big! Write a book or some shiz like that.

ReputationRep:
    make a difference! VOTE BNP

ReputationRep:
    You sound adorable
    Sorry I can't help
    But good for you !

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.