Turn on thread page Beta

How useful is work experience in a compliance department? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am a second year non-law student aiming to become a solicitor, and get onto some vac schemes next summer.

I have just been offered a two week work placement in the compliance department of a large financial services company in the City. The department basically ensure that the work the firm does with clients is in line with rules and regulations, particularly things such as EU anti-money laundering directives, and they work closely with relulatory bodies such as the FSA etc.

However while this is legal related, it seems to be quite different to the type of work a corporate solicitor would do (I think), and the people working in the department aren't even qualified lawyers (although there may be some paralegals). Would this work strengthen my application for vac schemes and TCs, or would it be a waste of time?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    It will definitely strengthen your application. Not as much as a VS, obviously, but it's definitely a way to show that you have an interest in legal and corporate issues, and that you're taking the initiative to find placements.

Definitely go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Beats sitting on your rear-end playing videogames I imagine. The more stuff like that on your CV the better!

ReputationRep:
    OK thanks, I'm going to meet the head of the department in person next week to discuss it in more detail. Will probably accept it.

ReputationRep:
    Companies which are just starting financial services business or those who want to expand their present services need to address the FSA compliance issues without fail. However, maintaining the compliance of a company is not an easy task to do. Consulting an expert and professional FSA compliance is very important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingPrawn0356)
    Hi guys,

I am a second year non-law student aiming to become a solicitor, and get onto some vac schemes next summer.

I have just been offered a two week work placement in the compliance department of a large financial services company in the City. The department basically ensure that the work the firm does with clients is in line with rules and regulations, particularly things such as EU anti-money laundering directives, and they work closely with relulatory bodies such as the FSA etc.

However while this is legal related, it seems to be quite different to the type of work a corporate solicitor would do (I think), and the people working in the department aren't even qualified lawyers (although there may be some paralegals). Would this work strengthen my application for vac schemes and TCs, or would it be a waste of time?

Cheers
    HI KingPrawn,

What company did you get offered this role at? And how did you get the role?
    And did it end up being beneficial to your application?
    I am also interested in legal compliance related work ex and your help will be appreciated.
    thanks.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.