Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have recently completed my BA in Business at Durham and would now like to get onto an MSc. finance course. However, I'm not sure whether or not the quantative content of MScs in finance would pose too much of a challenge for me. Here's a little more information:

My BA classification was 1st class.
    I did not do A Level maths (I did: ICT, Chem, Bio, English and Business).
    V. Little stats experience.
    The unis I have applied to are: Manchester, LSE, Keele, Birmingham, Warwick.

Got offers from all but Manchester (rejected) and Warwick (awaiting reply). N.B. Some courses, like that at Manchester, are finance with another subject (e.g. MSc. Accounting and Finance). More details available if required.

Any advice from those with experience in finance about how much their experience of quantitive subjects has helped them grasp the content of their degree would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just to let you know Msc Accounting and Finance is very very different from Msc Finance,

Accounts gets you exemptions from CIMA and ACCA while Msc Finance gets you exemptions from CFA, CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) is a highly respected finance qualification which is different from CIMA (which is a Management accounting qualification) and ACCA (which is a Financial accounting qualification).

Msc Finance is quite mathematical you should get an A-Level maths book off someone who's done it and brush up on your maths skills.

Durham does Msc Finance, see if there lecturers think you well be able to cope, I'am guessing you can as a first is quite impressive, if not go for accounts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jpin)
    Just to let you know Msc Accounting and Finance is very very different from Msc Finance,

Accounts gets you exemptions from CIMA and ACCA while Msc Finance gets you exemptions from CFA, CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) is a highly respected finance qualification which is different from CIMA (which is a Management accounting qualification) and ACCA (which is a Financial accounting qualification).

Msc Finance is quite mathematical you should get an A-Level maths book off someone who's done it and brush up on your maths skills.

Durham does Msc Finance, see if there lecturers think you well be able to cope, I'am guessing you can as a first is quite impressive, if not go for accounts
    CFA never gives any exemptions mate. They have CFA accredited courses but all that means are that they follow closely to the CFA syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't you apply to Durham's Msc?

ReputationRep:
    O I remember now, they only give exemptions from level 1, but cover 60-70% of the CFA course

ReputationRep:
    You got an offer from LSE? Well done, usually they are very strict regarding numerical background. Which Warwick course did you apply for? They are also strict regarding numerical background.

From my research MSc in Finance courses vary greatly with regards to the mathematical rigour involved. Obviously I'm not speaking from experience, yet Warwick is very formal in it's approach and you may struggle on their programme if you're not confident with mathematics.

Keele still requires a good level of mathematics but it would be less intensive than those of the top institutions. If I were you, however, I would not accept the place at Keele if you are looking to do the course in order to improve your employability. I enjoyed my time at Keele, however, the MSc in Finance and Investment will add little to your CV compared to any offer you get from LSE. If you do wish enquire further about Keele, Prof. Robin Bladen-Hovell is the most likely the best person to contact.

If you contact the course directors you should be able to get an example of the mathematics text books you will use in the course, as most programmes have a pre-sessional course covering the required mathematical techniques. Even if they don't they should be able to refer you to a textbook which details the required content.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.