Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people,

The problem is this. I will be taking a gap year this year and wish to find employment. At the moment im looking at making some applications within retail but have some worries surrounding my CV.

I have had no paid work experience in the past, and so my Work experiences section looks like the following:

WORK EXPERIENCE

Mar 2007 – Jun 2009: Production Assistant, EJ Films
    • Assisted in many areas of film production, with particular emphasis on caring for the cast and crew on each shoot.
    • Actively engaged in conversation to gauge each person’s level of satisfaction.
    • Other responsibilities included transportation and technical assistance as well as organising catering.

Mar 2006 – Aug 2006: Production Assistant, London Film School
    • Responsibilities varied greatly but included cast management, prop location and Boom operation.
    • Feedback on my performance was very positive in what was always a high pressure and time sensitive environment.

Nov 2004 – Dec 2004: IT Technician, Islington City Learning Centre
    • Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the computer facilities including assisting users with troubleshooting.
    • Instructed individuals and small groups in the use of various computer applications such as Microsoft Office and other multimedia software.

Feb 2004: Administrative Assistant, Royal Courts of Justice
    • Performed general clerical tasks such as, photo-copying, letter sorting, making tea, etc.

What you dont know yet, is that the "EJ Films" work experience is completely made up. This is because i feel it looks really bad to have a gap of 3 years without any sort of work, paid or not.

Is it worth the risk of being found out, to put a lie in like that? Or will my CV be good enough anyway, considering im at imperial studying a decent degree, and have a very active social life which i have documented appropriately.

I should also note that I have put the CV through the CV Help team many times and they have been a fantastic help. It is also a one page CV which i think works well. It is attached below minus my details.

All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hardy
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc h_16th_TSRfor.doc (35.5 KB, 94 views)

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought they might try to contact your most recent work experience for some kind of reference. I wouldn't lie. You'll no doubt get found out in the end.

ReputationRep:
    And what are you going to do when they ask you why you haven't chosen to use your workplace of 2 years as a reference for your job application?

ReputationRep:
    I have prepared a fake name (Eron Jones) for the Film Director, I have supposedly been working for, who is actually a friend of mine who has agreed to pretend to be him. I have used this friends address and mobile number as modes of contact and created a fake email address aswell.

So that avenue is covered.

Despite this i still feel its a massive risk for obvious reasons.
    Ultimately, I ask is my CV good enough to get me a job in retail without putting that placement in?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Lie on a CV? FAIL. Evidently, studying at a highly respected establishment does not teach you integrity. If you are starting from zero, start there. Be honest. You will get found out.

ReputationRep:
    What HAVE you been doing for the last 2/3 years then?

ReputationRep:
    Studying, and involving myself in the social side of university.

I should probably note that before starting the thread my decision was to take it out.
    But wanted to run it by you folk to see what you thought of the predicament.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! from my experience, virtually all the application forms i have filled in have stated one reference must be from your most recent employer, so it is very possible you would be found out if you lied!

Have you done anything productive in the past couple of years? Travelling is not always frowned upon! I have had gaps where i have saved up and gone mooching and have just told employers i felt i needed to do so, in order to settle down and was now ready to fully commit myself.

Really, i am pretty sure you would get caught. Better to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H4RDY)
    Studying, and involving myself in the social side of university..
    Oh, H4RDY! studying wont be classed as a gap! You will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H4RDY)
    Studying, and involving myself in the social side of university.

I should probably note that before starting the thread my decision was to take it out.
    But wanted to run it by you folk to see what you thought of the predicament.
    "social side of university"- just clubbing and drinking or have you been involved in any clubs/ volunteering- mention that if you have.

Don't lie about not being in employment, the employers will see you have been at uni!

ReputationRep:
    What I have actually done in the past 2 years would be:

Travelled to and from University everyday.
    Been a part of the Football team the past 2 years.
    Gone on holiday a couple of times for 4 weeks each.
    Done some reading/research at home.
    On the committee of my Uni Cinema.
    Year rep in my second year.

and some other stuff of that sort. Now i dont know how this can be documented in any way other than what I have now.

I will be removing that placement. But doing so, how badly is it likely to affect my chances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    "social side of university"- just clubbing and drinking or have you been involved in any clubs/ volunteering- mention that if you have.

Don't lie about not being in employment, the employers will see you have been at uni!
    I Have not been involved in that side of things at all. Not a drinker, but it dont bother me. Drinking is overrated. :tea:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wow, you're quite stupid, aren't you?

There is no gap in your CV. You have clearly been a student for that time.

I like how one of your job duties was "engaging in conversation". Stuck for ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest as I too am at Imperial, how come you're having a 'gap year' midway through your course

Also I'm surprised you're putting jobs on your C.V from 2004/2005 i.e. long before you even got to uni! I mean really 'Performed general clerical tasks such as, photo-copying, letter sorting, making tea, etc' lol it's almost like you're having a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to add two more things: employers may google your fake employer and alarm bells may ring if nothing comes up....AND they may google and this thread may come up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lell)
    I would also like to add two more things: employers may google your fake employer and alarm bells may ring if nothing comes up....AND they may google and this thread may come up...
    lol good point.

(Original post by ChosenOne)
    Just out of interest as I too am at Imperial, how come you're having a 'gap year' midway through your course

Also I'm surprised you're putting jobs on your C.V from 2004/2005 i.e. long before you even got to uni! I mean really 'Performed general clerical tasks such as, photo-copying, letter sorting, making tea, etc' lol it's almost like you're having a laugh.
    That would be because I failed. So ill be enjoying a year in employment this year while revising for my resits next summer. :yes:

Secondly, what you say does of course make sense. But then what will I fill the CV with? There will be a single work experience that can't even strictly be considered as employment.

(Original post by la fille danse)
    Wow, you're quite stupid, aren't you?

There is no gap in your CV. You have clearly been a student for that time.

I like how one of your job duties was "engaging in conversation". Stuck for ideas?
    As a Production Assistant that is quite an important part of the role, the cast and crew must be comfortable and they dont always have time to ask for a cup of water etc.

ReputationRep:
    I Have deleted it, thanks for all your advice it is much appreciated.
    But please keep the comments coming.

ReputationRep:
    You have an absolutely fantastic CV already :confused: probably a mile better than your peers. If you plan to get a job in media/film or whatever you a a pretty strong candidate. The gap for the last 3 years is no problem, uni (and the activities you say you have been doing there) more than fills that gap.

ReputationRep:
    I could tell you made up the first job role, before i read that you made it up!

• Assisted in many areas of film production, with particular emphasis on caring for the cast and crew on each shoot.
    • Actively engaged in conversation to gauge each person’s level of satisfaction.

these two sentences sound too general and what do you mean 'engaged in conversation'? well obviously you need to communicate with staff members.

your CV is brilliant as it is without that. honesty is the best policy

ReputationRep:
    I will being submitting a few applications today hopefully, and will keep you posted on the results.

Thanks very much for everyones input.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.