Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H4RDY)
    Hello people,

The problem is this. I will be taking a gap year this year and wish to find employment. At the moment im looking at making some applications within retail but have some worries surrounding my CV.

I have had no paid work experience in the past, and so my Work experiences section looks like the following:

WORK EXPERIENCE

Mar 2007 – Jun 2009: Production Assistant, EJ Films
    • Assisted in many areas of film production, with particular emphasis on caring for the cast and crew on each shoot.
    • Actively engaged in conversation to gauge each person’s level of satisfaction.
    • Other responsibilities included transportation and technical assistance as well as organising catering.

Mar 2006 – Aug 2006: Production Assistant, London Film School
    • Responsibilities varied greatly but included cast management, prop location and Boom operation.
    • Feedback on my performance was very positive in what was always a high pressure and time sensitive environment.

Nov 2004 – Dec 2004: IT Technician, Islington City Learning Centre
    • Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the computer facilities including assisting users with troubleshooting.
    • Instructed individuals and small groups in the use of various computer applications such as Microsoft Office and other multimedia software.

Feb 2004: Administrative Assistant, Royal Courts of Justice
    • Performed general clerical tasks such as, photo-copying, letter sorting, making tea, etc.

What you dont know yet, is that the "EJ Films" work experience is completely made up. This is because i feel it looks really bad to have a gap of 3 years without any sort of work, paid or not.

Is it worth the risk of being found out, to put a lie in like that? Or will my CV be good enough anyway, considering im at imperial studying a decent degree, and have a very active social life which i have documented appropriately.

I should also note that I have put the CV through the CV Help team many times and they have been a fantastic help. It is also a one page CV which i think works well. It is attached below minus my details.

All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hardy
    My few pennies:
    1) remove this.
    2) if you are going to lie, at least don't get found out about it.
    3) lying is bad, but getting caught is worst.
    4) I don't think you need the EJ films for work experience - it's more than enough I think. I only have 2 x two months of work experience and my CV is fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.