The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

H4RDY
Hello people,

The problem is this. I will be taking a gap year this year and wish to find employment. At the moment im looking at making some applications within retail but have some worries surrounding my CV.

I have had no paid work experience in the past, and so my Work experiences section looks like the following:

WORK EXPERIENCE

Mar 2007 Jun 2009: Production Assistant, EJ Films
Assisted in many areas of film production, with particular emphasis on caring for the cast and crew on each shoot.
Actively engaged in conversation to gauge each person’s level of satisfaction.
Other responsibilities included transportation and technical assistance as well as organising catering.

Mar 2006 Aug 2006: Production Assistant, London Film School
Responsibilities varied greatly but included cast management, prop location and Boom operation.
Feedback on my performance was very positive in what was always a high pressure and time sensitive environment.

Nov 2004 Dec 2004: IT Technician, Islington City Learning Centre
Responsible for overseeing the smooth running of the computer facilities including assisting users with troubleshooting.
Instructed individuals and small groups in the use of various computer applications such as Microsoft Office and other multimedia software.

Feb 2004: Administrative Assistant, Royal Courts of Justice
Performed general clerical tasks such as, photo-copying, letter sorting, making tea, etc.

What you dont know yet, is that the "EJ Films" work experience is completely made up. This is because i feel it looks really bad to have a gap of 3 years without any sort of work, paid or not.

Is it worth the risk of being found out, to put a lie in like that? Or will my CV be good enough anyway, considering im at imperial studying a decent degree, and have a very active social life which i have documented appropriately.

I should also note that I have put the CV through the CV Help team many times and they have been a fantastic help. It is also a one page CV which i think works well. It is attached below minus my details.

All help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hardy

My few pennies:
1) remove this.
2) if you are going to lie, at least don't get found out about it.
3) lying is bad, but getting caught is worst.
4) I don't think you need the EJ films for work experience - it's more than enough I think. I only have 2 x two months of work experience and my CV is fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending