Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Apparentley it's freshers fortnight now? Does that mean you move in 2 weeks before the starting date?

ReputationRep:
    the freshers week starts on 21th

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant! That means I'll still be in Manchester when all the students come back for the 1st week, till I move away for my own freshers fortnight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nick90)
    the freshers week starts on 21th
    My course starts on the 21st so I'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    Fresher's week actually starts on the 14th, courses tend to properly start from the 21st

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Fresher's week actually starts on the 14th, courses tend to properly start from the 21st
    thought move in day was 18th-20th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouisianaPuuurchase)
    Really? That's really early. Especially since accommodation contracts won't begin until the 17th - I'm sure they won't expect you to house yourself for the first three days of freshers.

The first week of my term wasn't "proper" term, it was orientation type stuff.

ETA: Yeah, it's the 21st-28th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    Really? That's really early. Especially since accommodation contracts won't begin until the 17th - I'm sure they won't expect you to house yourself for the first three days of freshers.

The first week of my term wasn't "proper" term, it was orientation type stuff.

ETA: Yeah, it's the 21st-28th.

I'm getting confused, ignore me, you're right! I move into my house 1st week of September so I'm getting mixed up.

ReputationRep:
    im confused too now is freshers starting 21st Sept, or when?

ReputationRep:
    Okay guys, First year students coming into the university are always slightly confused when Freshers week begins. It was certainly the case last year, when I received a personal mail on my hotmail account from the university telling me when Freshers week was :p:
    It's beginning on the week of the 21st of September.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the point of fresher week?

To get drunk? Party?

Pretty pointless if lectures don't start. Although, I read somewhere that it does start if your doing medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify, freshers week is the first week of the university year - it's actually a normal working week. Most of the week will be taken up with admin and possible initial meeetings about your courses, whilst teaching usually, although not always, tends to start in the second week of the academic year. This means that most of your first formal week is free for you to do things like attend the fair, find your way around campus, register and get id/library card, have library induction etc..

ReputationRep:
    so is freshers one week or two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Est.1989)
    so is freshers one week or two?
    i'm pretty sure it's like....there's one official freshers week but everyone goes out the same amount the next week aswell so it might aswell be two.

ReputationRep:
    the clue's in the name, it's freshers WEEK, not WEEKS. either way i reckon it'll be just the one week (beginning the 21st)

though tbh, i wouldn't complain if it were 2 weeks!

ReputationRep:
    It's the first week of the university year. One week when you'll do your admin, have meetings and possibly some teaching.

ReputationRep:
    During freshers week, as has been mentioned here, there is a fair amount of administration work that has to be done.
    The most important of these is probably making sure that you get yourself a Student ID card. You will also receive mail regarding what you're specific course is doing during freshers week.
    It is likely that first year engineers/physicians will have a diagnostic test (regarding mathematics questions) as well as general course overviews. You will be given an introduction to blackboard where you will also find you're timetable for the rest of the semester.
    As far as I know, my friend who did geography last year went on a two day trip during freshers week to the lake district or something. This trip is compulsory, so you will miss part of freshers week.
    In fact, in second year, my other flatmate who's doing geology has to go to Scotland and has to miss the entire freshers week!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.