Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm enrolling on a joint honours degree in BSc Economics and Mathematics in September. Bear in mind though, apart from the core economics classes (such as the British economy, introduction to economics, economics in society etc.), most of the economics classes I will be taking are in game theory, econometrics and other heavily quantitative economics classes.

Thus, to my question:

Am I eligible for a masters degree in mathematics? Even though I did a 3 year joint honours course in BSc Economics and Mathematics?

It doesn't have to be just a straight MSc in Mathematics.. I also like economics, so it could be an MSc in Applied mathematics, statistics, econometrics.. basically something heavily mathematical.

I really love maths, and would expressing my passion for it help if I need an interview?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you'd definately be eligible :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prilynn)
    I'm enrolling on a joint honours degree in BSc Economics and Mathematics in September. Bear in mind though, apart from the core economics classes (such as the British economy, introduction to economics, economics in society etc.), most of the economics classes I will be taking are in game theory, econometrics and other heavily quantitative economics classes.

Thus, to my question:

Am I eligible for a masters degree in mathematics? Even though I did a 3 year joint honours course in BSc Economics and Mathematics?

It doesn't have to be just a straight MSc in Mathematics.. I also like economics, so it could be an MSc in Applied mathematics, statistics, econometrics.. basically something heavily mathematical.

I really love maths, and would expressing my passion for it help if I need an interview?

Thanks in advance.
    It would depend on what modules you did but No I would have thought your chances were low: the maths content in a Maths degree is very different to that in an economics degree.

Also your commitment to Maths appears to be low
    (Original post by Prilynn)
    Hey guys,

I'll be studying LLB Law and Economics at Swansea in September. What are the cons of doing this as opposed to a single honours in LLB Law, and are there any pros? My dad, a single honours LLB graduate from decades ago himself, reckons that single honours is 'the way to go' (and is 'still preferred by most employers'). But I thoroughly enjoy economics, and am looking forward to law as well.

Also, is an LLB Law and Economics degree worse than an LLB Law degree (single honours) if I want to approach the bar or become a solicitor?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post20241630

ReputationRep:
    There's a chance, especially when it comes to things like financial mathematics, though as others have said it may depend on the mathematical content of your degree. It would probably be best to e-mail the admissions people of the universities you're interested in before applying, as they can give you a far more definite answer than we can.

If it turns out that you don't have the requirements and you're still desperate to do a masters in maths, there is always the possibility of doing a graduate diploma first (although this would add a year and further expense).

ReputationRep:
    You will definitely get on to Msc Statistics, Msc Applied Statistics, Msc Actuarial Science and Msc Econometrics,

I graduated 2.1 in Bsc Accounting and Statistics and got onto all the courses above, I start Actuarial Science in October,

There's a massive deference between getting onto a course and being able to do the maths, intensive study i'am guessing is a massive step up, I checked out all the units for the Statistics Msc and thought I would rather go for Econometrics or Actuarial Science as they expect less maths knowledge

You probably want to check out the units before you choose to do a maths masters being eligible and being able to do it are two very different things

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.