Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ther,
    Ive just finished my extended science degree initial yr, and now thinkin of doin biomed at herts.
    How good is the course has anyone done it or doing it?
    Can u apply for medicine after?
    HEELLPP
    Maz xx:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazkhan)
    Hi Ther,
    Ive just finished my extended science degree initial yr, and now thinkin of doin biomed at herts.
    How good is the course has anyone done it or doing it?
    HEELLPP
    Don't know myself. I aksed the same Q some weeks ago, but had no reply. I posted on the Herts Uni section and that didn't help. I don't know if any Biomed students at Herts are on TSR at all.

I applied to get onto YR2 of the Biomed course at Herts for the upcoming academic year and am still waiting for a final decision from the Uni.

Did u attend the Open Day they had at Herts last month? That would have been the most opportune time to sample what Herts, the Biomed course would be like. The next Open Day is only in October.

I know that on paper Herts is a better uni than my current uni, but whether you would be able to go into Medicine would depend on many factors not just whether Herts' Biomed course is any good.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Ther,
    HEELLPP
    I know that there are students who go onto medicine as graduates from Biomed degrees, for example, I think Queen Mary Uni, London offers a Biomed degree (non accredited by the IBMS) which allows such graduates to apply to get onto graduate entry medical programmes at uni's that Queen Mary has agreements with. Queen Mary puts forward their best Biomed graduates for the graduate medical entry. Competition is high and as you know Medicine is over-subscribed anyway, so you have to a top and well-rounded student.

I don't know if Herts do the same though. Herts's Biomed degree is accredited by the IBMS and as such more focused on lab disease pathology and which may not cover certain modules (such as anatomy and physiology) in enough detail, to allow entry into Medicine. Well that's my view anyway...I could be wrong....

Queen Mary's Biomed degree is quite broad and therefore not accredited, but it allows for a better fit for any student wanting to go onto Medicine. Info taken from QMUL website:

Barts and The London School of Medicine & Dentistry (SMD) has 10 reserved places on their fast-track (4 year) medical degree (GEP) for graduates of our Biomedical Sciences degree. A further 20 places are available into the 5 year programme. Assessment for a conditional place on both these programmes is based on the requisite UKCAT score required by SMD (this changes from year to year), your class ranking in first and second year exams and a selection interview. You can also apply for GEP modules and the 5 year programme at other UK universities (please find UK Medical School admissions policies here). Our Biomedical Sciences degree has an excellent record in placing students into these modules.

In 2004, 23 graduates out of 27 applicants eventually gained places on medical / dental degrees. In 2005, 21 out of 32 were successful. In 2006, 26 students were awarded places on medical and medically related modules from 45 applying.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for ur help. i have found out that my friend who lived in hatfield last yr had a house mate who is going onto medicine this year. So indeed it is possible. are u doin biomed this year then? i am going to be in my 1st year, scary stuff. also, maybe u could help me im looking for what knd of work i should expect in the 1st yr- maybe you would know. were u doin biomed previously? an what uni were u at, hope u dont mind me askin hope to hear from you soonn..tc

ReputationRep:
    thanks for ur help. i have found out that my friend who lived in hatfield last yr had a house mate who is going onto medicine this year. So indeed it is possible. are u doin biomed this year then? i am going to be in my 1st year, scary stuff.
    No problem . Do you know where your friend's house mate is going to do medicine? Glad to hear that it is possible.

I have already done my first year at Anglia Ruskin Uni. I am trying to get approval to continue with my second year at Herts. There's a hold up with my application, as they haven't gotten back to me yet and they said they'd have an answer for me two weeks ago. So, it doesn't look too good at the moment.

Anyway, have you had a place offered to you already at Herts?

ReputationRep:
    not as yet but because this yr my course was through them i think ill have the grades to get in. its not that high tarif so fingers crossed. i have my heart set on biomed at herts tho. i'd keep at it if i were you!! phone calls and plentiful emails goo along way! no im not sure where shes goin but i presume Kings. If u do get a place will u be living on campus?
    Maz

ReputationRep:
    Hey There,

Anyone doin biomedical sciences at university of hertfordshire?

im going this year and i want to know what things are covered in the 1st year. so i can be slightly ahead.

Please Help!!:mad: :confused:
    Here goes, this may help. It is a list of the YR1 -YR3 modules you'll cover at Herts:

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/Biome...ence_year1.cfm

SK

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    also what kind of courseworks should i expect?
    Maz

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    also what kind of courseworks should i expect?
    Maz
    From my course at my uni, we had to do essays, reports, practical write-ups, presentations, group work, field work & worksheets (for a Core Biology module), in-class tests & computer based assessments, all of which counts towards your module mark. Exams make up the rest of the module mark.

Does that help.

ReputationRep:
    thanks have u heard from herts uni yet?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 26, 2009

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.