Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to study sixht form in sept? How are you preparing for sixth form life and the AL? Do you think it's a good idea to read some AL materials in advance?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i am. I've also read up a bit on politics etc before i start it, mainly by using a website supplied on here it's called Revisionmics or something i seen it in someone's sig. I've also watched a few shows of "The Daily Politics" as advised to by member son here and teachers. Depends on your subjects, if they're new ones you've never done before then yes i would if not theirs no point.

ReputationRep:
    mate just enjoy your end of gcse's summer, unless are really wanting to do work otherwise its not worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blair_Waldorf)
    Anyone going to study sixht form in sept? How are you preparing for sixth form life and the AL? Do you think it's a good idea to read some AL materials in advance?
    What subjects are you going to be taking.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm reading some novels for English Literature and also doing some general research on some historical periods

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on going over some of the harder GCSE stuff (I'm going all the sciences) because after so long of being away from work I start to forget stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallulah_)
    I'm planning on going over some of the harder GCSE stuff (I'm going all the sciences) because after so long of being away from work I start to forget stuff.
    Let me guess, aspirations to be a Doctor? I was going for the same thing; Bio,Chem Maths & History. Then i realised maths would let me down - i'm good at it but not good enough for A/B at A Level so Dr = nono for me

ReputationRep:
    I going to go over the IGCSE stuff in science because the the school I was at did the GCSE, but the one I'm going to does the IGCSE and I don't want to be behind next year.

ReputationRep:
    urr.. yeah i am going to sixth form but i'm not doing any preparation.. can't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    I'm preparing my making sure I am refreshed and relaxed :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blair_Waldorf)
    Teachers at whichever school or college you will be studying A levels - if it isn't the same school that you studied GCSEs at - are aware there will be discrepancies between your knowledge and that of other students from other places, or even from other classes in year. They would therefore attempt to bring everyone to the same level.

However, if you would like to get ahead, then it's pretty easy to self-teach maths, economics and the sciences (which I know from recent experience: it only takes 6 weeks to self-teach the whole 2-year A Level Mathematics syllabus, not including the Further Maths business of course).

For economics, history or any other social science I suggest reading around the subject according to your interests.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna get the stuff I'll need i.e. folder, paper etc and gonna get my mitts on the 3 books: The Kite Runner, Streetcar Named Desire and Great Expectations and try and read them so I know what to expect (Great things maybe?)

ReputationRep:
    everyone asks this .... I did this time last year. But there is absolutely no point!

Best thing you can do is to read stuff around the subject that interests you. Do it out of pleasure and interest, and enjoyment of the subject, rather than with the purpose of getting a "head start" for A-levels. Above all enjoy the summer - A levels are much more intense than the GCSE years

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Let me guess, aspirations to be a Doctor? I was going for the same thing; Bio,Chem Maths & History. Then i realised maths would let me down - i'm good at it but not good enough for A/B at A Level so Dr = nono for me
    :yes: I did the same thing with Maths so am swapping it. I'm thinking that physics will kinda compensate as theres maths involved but I'm much better at it :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just enjoy it there is no preperation needed. Jut make sure you have enough clothes to last you the week because one kid wore the same shirt every day and yes people noticed =)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't prepare and I'm kind of glad. Your teachers expect you to read around the subject after they've taught it, so you're just going to burn out and become bored if you study the same thing before, during AND after the teachers' lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tallulah_)
    :yes: I did the same thing with Maths so am swapping it. I'm thinking that physics will kinda compensate as theres maths involved but I'm much better at it :laugh:
    Ouch you do realise Physics and Chemistry, especially Physics is regarded the hardest A-Level of them all Good luck though, as long as you put in the hard work you can do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    everyone asks this .... I did this time last year. But there is absolutely no point!

Best thing you can do is to read stuff around the subject that interests you. Do it out of pleasure and interest, and enjoyment of the subject, rather than with the purpose of getting a "head start" for A-levels. Above all enjoy the summer - A levels are much more intense than the GCSE years
    OP, this is the best advice you will get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Troubled_Student)
    Ouch you do realise Physics and Chemistry, especially Physics is regarded the hardest A-Level of them all Good luck though, as long as you put in the hard work you can do it!
    I wasn't aware of this :erm: Still, science is kinda my thing haha.

I'm sure it'll be fine...:work:

ReputationRep:
    well because i am taking spanish i am constantly looking at stuff just to keep refreshed! As for the sciences and maths i looked at the syllabuses for the first module and at some point i will look at the relevant gcse stuff. Other than that i am just going to buy supplies and then fill my summer with work experience and try and forget about results =/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.